1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Defending gi chokes (protecting your neck)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ballzilla, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Last night was an especially fun experience in class. We learned 2 new techniques and drilled them for about 10 minutes a piece and then rolled consecutively with each person in the class for 5 minute rounds until class was over. Total of about 45 minutes of consecutive rolling. It was probably the most fun I've had since I started and believe me I've been having a ball! I did well and didn't gas in this time but every time I was submitted, it was to a gi choke of some kind. I got tapped 6 times in 1 round by a blue belt training partner and 5 of those were gi chokes. I was only submitted one other time by my instructor and it too was a choke with the gi.

I'm sure we will eventually go over more and more techniques and defenses in class but I was hoping you keyboard warriors could point me in the right direction of finding some helpful, noob oriented, protect your neck techniques and drills. Thanks!

2. hcteks White Belt

I'm right with you. Had my first BJJ class last night and got choked every time. I knew the chokes were coming but being a complete gi noob I would as well like a little input on some basic defense. I plan on asking my instructor to help me with this as well. Only going to get better defending it by actually rolling with people :)

3. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

reeeeeal simple. Put your hand on your jaw like you have a toothache. when your opponent tries to grab your collar/neck make sure your hand stays underneath his.

In otherwords, when your hands are positioned correctly you should always feel his arm/choking hand where the face of your watch would be. If you maintain this form than you can't be choked....99 percent of the time. :) Typically with gi chokes your hand will defend one side with the toothache defense. If your opponent switches his attack on your collar to his other hand you simply swithc defending hands.

The other arm is usually posting preparing for a pass or escape.

4. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Would this be with your hand inside your gi (between your collar and neck) or before he/she even has a chance to grab with your hand on theirs?

5. Doctor Venture Black Belt

Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribiero has some really helpful hand fighting tips. Hard to describe without being able to show you though.

My two cents, situational sparring is your friend. Start in either mount or in side mount on bottom, and just work on hand fighting and defending the choke. When your partner is having a hard time choking you, work escapes and sweeps. If you have to tap, make sure you know why your defense failed.

6. armtriangle Brown Belt

I don't like to bring my hand up to defend guard guard gi chokes, because then I lose posture and get broken down. From other positions, yes.

Posture is the best defense to gi chokes from guard.

7. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I never got choked from being in full guard. You are correct on posture being the best defense for that particular position. I seemed to be getting choked primarily with someone in my half-guard. Before I knew what the hell was going on I was blacking out. I have to admit it was beyond frustrating. One blue belt (whom I outweight by 100 lbs) had a field day with me. He definitely showed me some things I need to be focusing on.

8. armtriangle Brown Belt

^ I don't think I have even been choked from bottom of half guard. Use the paw grip, or insert and knee shield and get some space.

9. Goat Meal Shhh Belt

When someone has my back I make an X with my arms, and with palms out guard my face all the way up to my temples while at the same crunching my elbows into my abs so they can't get under an arm.

10. Carrera26 Orange Belt

Were there a variety of different chokes or did they keep getting the same one over and over? There are a variety of Brabo chokes that are very available from top half guard. If they had a tight underhook on your top arm, then this is likely what was happening to you.

11. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

A few times this was the case but for the most part it was just what appeared to be a normal cross collar choke.

12. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Your hand can't be inside your gi if it's touching your jaw. If the dude is doing what I think he is doing and you are in half guard lying on your right side, than your right hand (the one close to the floor) should have your hand on the right side of the face.

You need to do it before your opponent gets the grip, but if you are late, than you gotta wedge it in.

13. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Gotcha. I will try it out.

14. HIMBOB Steel Belt

Do you need your hand under his deepest hand (deepest grip on collar) or will either side work??

15. richmFTW Blue Belt

chin to chest and escape