Defending against heavier opponents...

A lot of big guys like to clinch so they can use their weight and strength advantage, I normally clinch with other heavyweights a couple times so they get in a groove, then go for shuck and high crotch.

John Smith single leg...

So you rather play bottom game vs. that behemoth? Heck no. Big guys like that are often easier to take down than someone your size if you have technical ability.

When I was in HS I Wrestled at 112 and took down our 163 lber quite often. It was definitely easier than taking down our 112-125 lbers. Granted he was not that good but some of it was due to my speed.

That John Smith single leg is some tight takedown..He doesn't leg go of that leg for nothin' and he keeps going for that leg...damn

Learn how to keep him moving and time his steps. I'd go for a trip or a single leg. Keep moving, keep him tired and explode. Lots of feints to keep him guessing and move in and out. Do whatever you can to make him work, cause the more he works the faster he burns out.

As far as defending, I don't really know for sure. When I cant scoot my hips out sometimes it helps to push the persons head away. But I can see why you wouldnt want to extend your arm. Think scrambles.

Back