Defending against heavier opponents...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by 879lexus, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

How would you takedown & go about submitting a heavy and strong dude like in this vid? He got the takedown and got mount...

2. spreadthestoke

spreadthestoke White Belt

That was a monster takedown
    He just exploded

3. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

That couldn't have felt good coming down on top of him. That had cracked sternum written all over it.

4. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Well for one, I would not stand fairly erect and try to collartie the guy. If you want to defend a takedown at your legs, get lower. If you are lower, you might have time to sprawl, but before that, basic fundamental takedown defense first.

As for taking that big guy down, speed. I would probably cut him in half (get the proper angle), change levels, and go for the outside or low single personally. If you keep changing levels and faking shots, the big guy looked like he would probably get gassed pretty quickly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. TheIronGiraffe

TheIronGiraffe Orange Belt

Man that would suck, homeboy looked close to 300! The only thing I can think of is try and trip him with a judo trip from a collar grip and put all your weight on his chest and try and gas him out or attack a leg.

6. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

7. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

Exactly. Anytime I've ever dealt with a size difference that big, I've always kept my distance, moved constantly, and worked single legs off angles; never trying to spend a lot of time up close, clinching with them. Clinching just gives them a chance to use their strength and limits your opportunities to use your speed.

8. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Damn nice!

9. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

THIS.

I work with a collegiate wrestling team. I'm about 225 and when I'm working with the smaller guys, they have success with smith style single legs. Those guys are so freakin fast.

10. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

What's a smith style single leg? I wouldn't even risk taking down that guy. I would have pulled guard and worked from there...At least I would have a 2 second chance in guard after he flipped me like a pancake...lol

11. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

John Smith single leg...

So you rather play bottom game vs. that behemoth? Heck no. Big guys like that are often easier to take down than someone your size if you have technical ability.

When I was in HS I Wrestled at 112 and took down our 163 lber quite often. It was definitely easier than taking down our 112-125 lbers. Granted he was not that good but some of it was due to my speed.

12. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

A low single I think would have worked. He was planting, from what I could see, pretty hard on the front foot a couple of times. When they were going for the clinch possibly schucking an arm up and taking control of the side.

13. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Ankle Pick

14. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Watching the video again, the smaller guy just looked intimidated. Around the 3:40 mark the bigger guy is already tired. His footwork gets really messy where he puts his feet really close together and crosses them at one point while standing almost erect. That's basically begging you to take him down.

Like Vector said, he is constantly planting putting all his weight unevenly on his forward (right) leg. You use angles, make him take a step and boom, shoot while he's taking the step or right before he plants and the takedown is already halfway there.

The smaller guy also is looking at the wrong place. He's looking at the other guy's face instead of of torso/hips/feet.

For low single examples in Wrestling, look up John Smith on Youtube. For low single examples in MMA, Sakaraba.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  15. navita

navita Orange Belt

16. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Ankle picks and low singles are your friends against fat guys.

Also, duck-unders and throw-bys might be good too.

17. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

I dunno man, i feel safe in guard. But never had a 300lb guy on top of me in guard. I don't think I could have him falling on me like he did in the vid... But what if he just laid there on top of me in guard...I'd probably won't even have any energy to tap.

18. PoundSand

PoundSand Orange Belt

I like the "help" from the side- "hip escape, don't lay on your back." yeah, easier said then done when you have 350lbs on you. :mad:

19. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

Give him one of these as he rushes in!
    [​IMG]

20. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

Throw a donut on the mat, take his back when he bends over to eat it.