1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Defending a common pass

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Turtleguard, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

Been training for a few years now (actually 3 or 4), and I recently returned to gracie barra after a long break (had a kid). I realized I still have some of the same problems that I did back when I first started.

I really seem to struggle when my opponent grabs both my pant legs and puts his weight on them, then does a basic pass to side control. Now I know you are not supposed to let them grab your pants, but how do I avoid this? For example, I want to work on my guard so I scoot towards by opponent and look to work my open guard. If I scoot closer to him and put my legs on his hips, often times he will kick his leg back or adjust his body so that my legs will drop to the floor, and then he immediately grabs my pants and passes. For some reason I really can't figure out a counter.

Also, any good instructionals for open guard control from the bottom (no fancy sweeps just control).

Thanks

2. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is actually a very good question, as this is a difficult situation to defend in the gi.

The first helpful step is to spread your legs WIDE. If your legs are narrow, your opponent can keep his elbows in, which makes it impossible to control his arms. You need to open his elbows to defend early, and to open his elbows your legs must be wide.

Second, start with a cross collar grip, and get up on one hip. This will slow him. Now you should be able to take your time and break his grips, then attack (armdrags being a great attack, also collar drags, paired with ankle picks if his weight is back).

Now if you can't open his elbows, regretfully you must defend the toreano pass. This requires high level jiu jitsu. There's no way around it. You need to learn the sweep where you trap his arm by pushing his sleeve through, and then rolling him over. The switch is also very helpful to learn. Finally, it is very useful to learn how to invert, so that you cross over and block the pass.

Obviously it is best to establish a good control on his arms first, making this irrelevant, but if he gets your legs, this is your best strategy IMHO. A lot of really strong and skilled players simply will not let you win the hand fighting every time. They will get your legs, and then you will need to defend as discussed above.

3. Luther

Luther Green Belt

Zankou, as a reference is this more or less Saulo strategy?

4. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

The first part ... keeping the legs wide ... I did learn from Saulo. The rest, I am not sure whether it's Saulo or not, but it's what I use.

5. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

thank you very much zankou, great response!

6. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

as a dedicated buttscooter, i find it's critical to prevent my partner from getting grips. i sit up, keep my legs moving and keep my hands near my knees. my secondary goal is to get a sleeve grip, usually by intercepting his hands.

once i get a sleeve under control then i can get going with whatever else i'm looking for - collar grip or belt grip or whatever.

if my partner does get a grip on my pants i wrap his hand with the crook of my elbow and strip it while i buttscoot away/in/to the side.

7. BGBG

BGBG White Belt

what is the name of the sweep? or do you know where I can find it? youtube or name of instructional video?

8. danielr

danielr Yellow Belt

if someone grabs both of my pant legs, I will fight hard to get an underhook and an overhook and clasp my hands behind their back. Then I pull them into me and try to get guard or half guard. Grabbing the lapels and pulling them in also works for me.