defences v superfights v faded/fading stars

ninja edita

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about the fights that are being talked about/are in the works.

There seems to be a lot of pressure for fighters to continually face the biggest fighter name wise as possible,with little regard for fighting a big chunk of extra weight either way, or for the longevity of their careers and their health.

Also seems that valid fringe fighters and contenders are being avoided or frozen out,and promoters look to sell numbers rather than sell a fight.

I mean two fighters that IMO are really up there in terms of legacy are Hopkins and calzaghe, who both defended against lesser named contenders, but had solid reigns and no doubt proved over time that they could hang at elite level,are still healthy IMO due to a few softer fights.

I know we all want to see amazing potential fights, but what do you think?

In boxing today, if an established star fights a guy who isn't highly ranked then he's "avoiding" the "top guys."

Fighters make so much money today that they don't really need to take stay busy fights for a paycheck like say, Sugar Ray Robinson did.

A lot of this has to do with boxing mostly being available on subscription TV or PPV. People got tired of HBO throwing Andre Berto at us over and over again. Fans eventually get tired of showcase fights.

I don't like that piece.

Boxers have always been built up on cans before they fight a real legit fighter and there have always been guys like Chavez who were there more for enjoyment than actually being the best.

Ray Mancini, Arturo Gatti etc etc etc.

Also, one thing people forget about Junior, he didn't have much of an amatuer career if he had one at all. He needed building up. He was just under a microscope because of his last name.

I don't like that piece.

Boxers have always been built up on cans before they fight a real legit fighter and there have always been guys like Chavez who were there more for enjoyment than actually being the best.

Ray Mancini, Arturo Gatti etc etc etc.

Also, one thing people forget about Junior, he didn't have much of an amatuer career if he had one at all. He needed building up. He was just under a microscope because of his last name.

i didn't like it either at first but it sat with me for a while and made think about some of the shit i have said in the last few months about Stevenson and JR.

I was happy that Jr walk away from the GGG cause it showed the Bob was screwing him over. But why did make me happy, all it really means is that i don't get to see a fight I REALLY wanted to see.

Same with Stevenson, Showtime can't give Stevenson the good fight. That Sergi is.

So why am I happy, i don't know why cause all thats happening is I am getting screw out of fights i want to watch.

Look at what happened with Mikey Garica, fans are pissed that he is wrecking his career at the monument cause it robs them from seeing him in the ring, those same fans are cheering Jr and Stevenson.

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses in this thread, I read em today and then reread my post and thought about what id said,and realized I'm a fucking idiot, and want it all ways up.

I was thinking of specific stuff like cotto being an easier option for Sergio, Garcia supposedly being in line to fight Manny, people ripping swift Garcia for fighting herrera, and Floyd avoiding guys like Thurman,brook,porter etc.

Back