DEFCAD eats a chub

Yes, I know. But might be interesting to see someone try. Like one of those firearm fail videos that float around Youtube. Maybe something in a carbon fiber? Would obviously be subsonic, short range....*heads to the lab*
As far at "metal" casing go, most of the common and easily available obviously would react to detectors. Wonder if manganese reacts, and if not, if it could survive the explosive pressure of the propellant? hmmm

@Darth_Inv1ctu5

There’s already plastic bullets, they still need a metal case, gunpowder, primer....I don’t see this happening with a 3D printer. Rimfire cartridges have a built in primer making it even more difficult.

Make no mistake, these guns are fragile, single use 22cal pistol....you aren’t going to use a larger more powerful centerfire cartridge in something like this, you’d hurt or kill your self....you aren’t going to make rimfire shells with a 3D printer.

@Teppodama

Sorry to keep @Ing you, it’s a yellow card thing, I can’t directly reply at the moment.

So you remember that Clint Eastwood’s movie where he’s a secret service guy protecting the president and John malkovitch wants to kill the president??? He had a plastic gun he made but I don’t remember what he did for bullets to get past security.
He had a Bullet that was hidden in a rabbits foot key fob. A typical rabbits foot fob is a metal cylinder with either real or faux rabbit fur glued around it. His was hollow and was able to be unscrewed so he could slip a bullet in it. I guess the idea being that any metal detection would just ping on the fobs cylinder and that security would be fooled.

@Teppodama

That’s right, he just put it in the tray and walked through. When the fuck did people
Start calling things like that “fobs”???

Well, given how Great Britain appears to be regressing in its kill tech by a growing dependence on butter knives, scissors and screw drivers maybe someone should be helpful and upload them some plans for a plastic crossbow, long bow or atlatl...

These files have already been on torrent trackers for so long lol

Kinda hilarious to see people take the "anti mp3 file sharing" stance when it comes to guns. The cat is out of the bag and has been for quite some time.

@Teppodama

That’s right, he just put it in the tray and walked through. When the fuck did people
Start calling things like that “fobs”???
What they've always been called. Or maybe I'm just that old and not up on the new slang for such items. Just always known things like that as key fobs.

Here's a possible explanation

"
The origin of the term “fob” as in “key fob” goes back to either Middle English fobben, or German Fuppe (pocket) or the German foppenmeaning sneak-proof. A fob is, most precisely, an object kept with keys for one of several purposes. The purpose might be easy identification by sight or feel, or as part of an anti-theft mechanism, or as an anti-theft item. Generally, a fob is kept with keys by a chain. The whole set of key or keys and fob on a chain may be kept in a pocket. The chain may be attached elsewhere on one’s clothing. This is convenient because one can get to the keys by pulling on the chain without digging through the pocket.

As the whole mechanism - key, chain, object, and possibly pocket - all go together, the term fob sometimes applies to the object, sometimes to the pocket, and sometimes to the chain. People get a bit vague in using the term."

It's been in use as early as 1888. Well, guess I must be old after all...;)

Not going to stop file share, I agree that stopping profit from it should be easier but eventually there will be enough copies of everything that there will be no market that requires payment.

3D printed guns are just a reality of the future as cost and technology become more available -- especially since metal printing is becoming so prevalent

I remember the files floating around the various torrent sites five years ago and vids of 3D printed guns hitting youtube around the same time. That cat is out of the bag. The question isn't can we prevent 3D gun printing, it's who the fuck is stupid enough to pay for files that are readily available for free?

This doesntd mean we should keep reducing the barrier to entry though. Not that it matters now, it's done.

Five more years...

Improved technology = reducing the "barrier" ?

Oh look, they're available here:
http://codeisfreespeech.com/

I think this was planned, Defense Distributed probably knew they were going to get sued. So they partnered with others to share the files. Now the files are are out there and they can take the states to court and bend them over for First Amendment infringements.

A plastic gun might make it through security but Ammo won’t.

I got caught coming back from Mexico with a 9mm hollowpoint round in my carry on. Bout shit my pants when TSA in Mexico flagged my bag and said they were looking for a bullet. Thought for sure I was going to get detained or at least have to answer some difficult questions in a dark room. Surprisingly, they really didn't care. Just though it in the trash bin like it was an over 3oz size bottle of sunscreen

The part of it I can't fully understand is he pulled it out of a pair of jeans I never wore down there, I just brought them along in case there was a cool evening. I'm pretty sure had simply been sitting in the bottom of that suitcase from the moment I packed to begin with back in the states. There's a chance it was in my checked bag on the way down, and somehow with re-packing to leave it got switched to my carryon, but I'm not so sure and feel O'Hare most likely missed that going through. Not certain obvisouly

Improved technology = reducing the "barrier" ?

Yes, by making it easier for less-skilled people to make weapons. You'll agree that CADing a gun is easier than building one from scratch, no?

@HockeyBjj

In the Philippines, sometimes airport officials will put bullets in people’s backpacks, catch them then extort money out of them in order to avoid a court case. That would ducking suck.

@HockeyBjj

In the Philippines, sometimes airport officials will put bullets in people’s backpacks, catch them then extort money out of them in order to avoid a court case. That would ducking suck.

That was kind of my thought when they were digging around, saying it was for a bullet, that it was planted on me in some way. Especially after they split my bag in half and ran each half though the scanner again as they couldn't find it, maybe they were mistaken?

But when he pulled it out, I definitely recognized it as my brand lol

@HockeyBjj

It’s strange because guns aren’t even illegal in the Philippines so I don’t know why accidentally having a bullet on you would be a big deal, there’s shooting ranges everywhere.

Guns aren’t illegal in Mexico either, I know a guy who moved there and was able to take some guns with him, I’ve hunted in Sonora once and we just declared our guns and went right in. Also Aquila ammunition is manufactured in Mexico, I guess it sort of makes sense they just let you off the hook.

Yes, by making it easier for less-skilled people to make weapons. You'll agree that CADing a gun is easier than building one from scratch, no?

Less-skilled and legally able to buy a firearm or less-skilled but a felon and not able to legally buy a firearm?

I can see it now . . . black market 3-D printing dives where you need to know some secret password to enter and CAD your very own gun.

Using a CAD program may or may not be easier for Joe Blow who wants a firearm without the strings attached and jumping through the hoops to make a legal purchase . . . they'd first need to have the files and then materials and printer to complete the controlled part. Not many people will do that over purchasing an 80% lower, private sale or trying to get someone to complete a straw purchase for them.

Read the whole article. The issue extends past traceability and involves the fact that 3D printed weapons can easily circumvent security systems as well. It's a massive risk for which there is currently no mitigation, nor is there even an idea of what mitigation would look like and cost
Yup, so untraceable and undetectable that TSA has found them...

Cuz you know, copper cased, bimetallic projectile firing ammunition...

Or do these shoot plastic pellets?

#banairsoft

3D printed guns are just a reality of the future as cost and technology become more available -- especially since metal printing is becoming so prevalent

Downside to metal printers is they get extremely hot. Mine runs at about 2500 degrees. My cat tried to take a nap on it once when I was at work and had it set to auto forge.

RIP Fluffster.

Back