Deep Half Guard: Pass Counter

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by netbjjer420, Sep 15, 2010.

1. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

For all you DHG players, what do you to prevent/counter the 'negative' pass? Meaning when you've already achieved the DHG, your opponent shoves your head down and brings his free leg to the other side of your head and starts passing from there.

1. Prevention: What do you do to prevent him from getting that leg over in the first place?

2. Counters: If he gets the leg over anyway, what are some counters or things you need to do? Eg. Prevent the crossface, get the outside hook in etc. and obviously sweeps from that position.

2. Anac0nda

Anac0nda White Belt

I am assuming your opponent's leg closest to your head and he shoves your head down, throws his leg over your head, turns halfway towards you and goes for the underhook, finishing in the sidemount ?

If that is the case, once your opponent shoves your head and throws the leg over your head

1) Your opponent's other leg: Get your foot (the top leg or the same side leg as your opponent) and hook it under his calf area.

2) Get your hand (the one behind him) and grab onto his belt.

3) Kick your leg (with the hooked calf) forward, and reposition yourself as if you are taking his back.

Sorry if this sounds all over the place. It's hard to describe it.

3. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

I either use an outside hook to sweep immediately, or quickly make space to block the cross-face, recovering guard, getting to my knees, going inverted or whatever.

4. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I grab the trapped leg with the closest hand, grab his shoulder/arm with my other, and pendulum myself over him, ending in mount/"dope" mount

5. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Someone's been watching the Cyborg DVD set. :D

6. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Yup. People were giving me fits with the step over pass, even from DLR if I missed the back take. Went through Cyborg's dvd, saw the counter. At first I thought it was unrealistic, but it works well.

Then again, I can invert like that at will. Someone bigger that can't do that movement well, may have a difficult time.

7. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Hug the thigh against your ear like it's your girlfriend. Most people I see try DHG don't have this tight enough, and many let the guy drop down to almost their bicep, which puts all their weight on you.

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Cannot visualise this at all. Video, please?

9. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I've only ever seen it in Cyborg's dvd, sorry.

10. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

dam, I wanna see this too....

11. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I'm not sure how to explain it.

Say you have their right leg trapped. Use your left hand to grab their pant leg (sorry nogi guys). Your right hand will control their shoulder that is nearest to your head. your right leg will swing up towards their head. This creates momentum, lifting your hips. Swing it back and forth, generating enough momentum to lift yourself over, and "shoulder roll" back.

My explanation is desperately poor; maybe someone else can contribute.

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Ahh, think I'm kind of seeing it now. Is my left hand still underhooking their leg or am I grabbing from the top/outside?

13. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Grabbing their pant from under. It is just to keep them in place. If you try and open your legs without controlling, you will get your guard passed.