Deep frying turkey....

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you've never had someone cook a turkey that actually knew what they were doing. I've had many that were juicy, flavorful and didn't require any additional assistance from sauces or gravies.

I feel a little bad for you, honestly. Not one person in your family can properly cook a turkey. That's pretty pathetic.
My uncle used to fry turkeys for thanksgiving and people raved about it. Then I had it and it tasted as bland as any other turkey I’ve ever had. Turkey will always suck no matter how good of a cook you think you are. Duck is the king of birds

I have this...

I always use peanut oil and do it all inside...

Inject my turkey...

Make sure the turkey is patted dry both inside and out before frying.

Bam!

Awesomeness.

It’s worth it... just make sure it’s well frozen before it goes in. The slightest sign of thawing can cause a major oil fire and burn your shit down.

Fill the inside of the turkey with ice cubes too so it stays moist. Make certain that the oil is up to the full line and at 350 degrees before putting the turkey in. Lean over the cooker and carefully align the turkey so you can lower it into the oil in one swift motion.

Seriously, don't do any of the aforementioned things!!!!

what does a dry brine involve?

A bunch of salt, a little sugar. Coat the whole bird with quite a bit like 36 to 48 hours out and I leave it uncovered in the fridge to dry the skin out. The salt will get pulled pretty deep into the meat and season it nicely.

A bunch of salt, a little sugar. Coat the whole bird with quite a bit like 36 to 48 hours out and I leave it uncovered in the fridge to dry the skin out. The salt will get pulled pretty deep into the meat and season it nicely.
interesting.

I accidentally found a better way to cook a turkey. Many years ago I heard a chef explaining how his restaurant cooked over a hundred turkeys. Instead of cooking them at 350 degrees F for a specified time depending on their weight, they cook turkeys from 6 to 25 lbs or more in a room sized oven by cooking them all for 12 hours at 250 degrees F then raising the temperature to 350 for the last 20 minutes to brown it. I started doing that. The turkey can be put in the oven and the night before. The lower temperature doesn't dry it out and even the largest bird gets above the safe 165 degree temperature. Another thing I do is cook the turkey breast down. The juices settle into the breast meat which is often dry if cooked breast up.

I accidentally found a better way to cook a turkey. Many years ago I heard a chef explaining how his restaurant cooked over a hundred turkeys. Instead of cooking them at 350 degrees F for a specified time depending on their weight, they cook turkeys from 6 to 25 lbs or more in a room sized oven by cooking them all for 12 hours at 250 degrees F then raising the temperature to 350 for the last 20 minutes to brown it. I started doing that. The turkey can be put in the oven and the night before. The lower temperature doesn't dry it out and even the largest bird gets above the safe 165 degree temperature. Another thing I do is cook the turkey breast down. The juices settle into the breast meat which is often dry if cooked breast up.

12 hours s a big ask.

Although, cooking it upside down is very good advice. It beats any butter stuffing technique. Did it once and never looked back. If you're always complaining about the white meat being dry, you must embrace the upside down method.

1) Thaw
2) Inject/Brine
3) Be safe. Do that shit sober and outside.

Tip: If you want to save $$$, liquid shortening is just as good as peanut oil for bird frying purposes (and no allergy issues.)

1) Thaw
2) Inject/Brine
3) Be safe. Do that shit sober and outside.

Tip: If you want to save $$$, liquid shortening is just as good as peanut oil for bird frying purposes (and no allergy issues.)
Sober??? The best part is having a wobbly pop while doing it. That's like, fishing sober.

I smoke mine. You know those delicious turkey legs at the fair? Imagine the whole turkey tasting like that.

wanted to do it this year but I don't have the space to do it outside used to do it at a cousins house with a big ass yard.

Back