Deconstructing "The One Armed Judo Champion"

trifecta

White Belt
Reaction score
Story: http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2008/9/5/608114/the-one-armed-judo-champio

This is a classic judo/grappling story I read all over the place, I was curious if are takedowns/grappling techniques that could take full advantage of my missing right arm? So far I've that in mount bottom and closed top I only have one arm to "hide" in order to get the double under pass or forklift escape without risking a triangle

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Nick Newell is about as perfect an example as you're going to find. If he locks in a guillotine or RNC, you can't grab his hand to pull it off.

Can't think of any Judo moves where you would be better with one arm. Nice story to tell, but nope nope nope.

Dunno about one arm, but one leg...

[YT]Orz5bHBV5Vw[/YT]

The real advantage to missing a limb: being a limbs worth of weight bigger than your opponents. Robles looks like a grown man wrestling children.

It reminds me a funny story. At my BJJ gym we have a blue belt who is also a grizzled sambo instructor. The guy is obviously a killer with a great variety of leg locks. One year at the european championship he was having a great time until he found his nemesis: a one legged guy. I heard that people always try to pass on the missing leg side but the guy always see it coming and has some counters. I don't know how he defended the straight ankle locks of the sambo instructor, but sure as hell, he doesn't need to worry about banana splits/electric chairs.

Back