Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 8] - MMA 'Cans', The Unsung Heroes...

Hearing "can" used is how you know someone has been watching MMA for six months.

Hey @gono btw, i know this fight is "out of your time", but u should cover koji oishi vs nick diaz.
Oishi's behavior was probably one of the most weirdest ive ever saw in a fight
Hahah
Not only that but, considering the topic, oishi seemed to be a can on those early years. He debuted at the ufc with a full set of wrestling gear... It was hilarous haha. He made a good career for himself though.

Hey @gono btw, i know this fight is "out of your time", but u should cover koji oishi vs nick diaz.
Oishi's behavior was probably one of the most weirdest ive ever saw in a fight
Hahah
Not only that but, considering the topic, oishi seemed to be a can on those early years. He debuted at the ufc with a full set of wrestling gear... It was hilarous haha. He made a good career for himself though.

Gono is timeless tho...

Gono.png

B eye.gif

A can is jason reinhardt. No skill, padded the fuck out of his record and got smoked with ease in his 2 only meaningful fights

In pride guys werent considered cans by japanese audience. They cared only that you fought hard and didnt give up easy. The gameness is all that mattered. Records and shit matter to the us because of boxing culture,and i suppose america in general.

lolz @ someone immediately defining can as giblert yvel.

wtf.

<{MindBrown}>

i'm sure i've seen cannier, but https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Hiromitsu-Kanehara-1441 always stands out as the ubercan in my mind.
matter of perspective...

His losses (in his physical prime): @ OW !

Yuki Kondo
Iouri Bekichev
Mauricio Rua
Alistair Overeem
Mirko Filipovic
Wanderlei Silva
Matt Hughes
Ricardo Arona
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mario Sperry
Hendo
Valentijn Overeem
Kiyoshi Tamura
Ricardo Morais

Undersized duded losin´to these killers... expected.

Wins over:
Alexandre Ferreira Cacareco
Valentijn Overeem
Jeremy Horn
Dave Menne

vlcsnap-2018-12-01-23h00m49s275.png

Watch his fight vs Hughes in Rings, one of the few times he was not undersized...
Ya might change your opinion, who knows...

Last edited:
Some of the pro-wrestlers from Takada dojo were untrained back then, which you usually can't say to the same extent today, say with some of MM's opponents who are generally seen as the weakest competition a UFC champ has fought in the modern era. A lot of them were tough and some had fairly good grappling, but they otherwise lacked and were used as cannon fodder to top fighters with also the hope of a hometown upset. A win-win. I do agree with Magomedov though. And Yvel wasn't a can.

Some of the pro-wrestlers from Takada dojo were untrained back then, which you usually can't say to the same extent today, say with some of MM's opponents who are generally seen as the weakest competition a UFC champ has fought in the modern era. A lot of them were tough and some had fairly good grappling, but they otherwise lacked and were used as cannon fodder to top fighters with also the hope of a hometown upset. A win-win. I do agree with Magomedov though. And Yvel wasn't a can.
Yuhi Sano was a can for instance...Clueless on the ground against a much smaller Hoyler...

Toyonoga, Hamanaka, Satake were limted too..
Nishijima was a boxer.
Oyama, Matsui e Yamamoto were so-so...

Shoji proved he was legit though.

In pride guys werent considered cans by japanese audience. They cared only that you fought hard and didnt give up easy. The gameness is all that mattered. Records and shit matter to the us because of boxing culture,and i suppose america in general.
They also had to create a market and give a chance to local fighters, like all Org.
Otherwise, the Org. would have folded after 1-2 years.

Very true. Fred Floyd (2-4) looks like a can that Vovchanchyn was fed, on paper. But if you watch the fight, you'll see that's it's far from true.

Michihiro Omigawa is a good example, 17-14 in MMA. Even Joe Rogan was acting like he was a can when he called his first UFC fight. But to those who watched his run in Sengoku... he was a beast, then he beat Takaya (another guy who might seem like a can on the surface, but was actually Dream champ) in the K-1 Dream-Sengoku showdown, and then went on a nice run in Dream

The UFC fed him to their best wrestlers, he was out-pointed and to the average fan he is just a can now.

Those who didn't watch at the time will never really understand JMMA and NHB culture, now it's mostly about points. We've been defending Pride and JMMA for a decade or more now, even in it's heyday most Sherdoggers thought Wand was crushing cans, for the hype. They're not going to learn now, if they didn't then.

It's been a while since I've seen someone post the Chonan heel hook gif, what a beauty. Now his haters just say Anderson was on roids.

Very true. Fred Floyd (2-4) looks like a can that Vovchanchyn was fed, on paper. But if you watch the fight, you'll see that's it's far from true.

Michihiro Omigawa is a good example, 17-14 in MMA. Even Joe Rogan was acting like he was a can when he called his first UFC fight. But to those who watched his run in Sengoku... he was a beast, then he beat Takaya (another guy who might seem like a can on the surface, but was actually Dream champ) in the K-1 Dream-Sengoku showdown, and then went on a nice run in Dream

The UFC fed him to their best wrestlers, he was out-pointed and to the average fan he is just a can now.

Those who didn't watch at the time will never really understand JMMA and NHB culture, now it's mostly about points. We've been defending Pride and JMMA for a decade or more now, even in it's heyday most Sherdoggers thought Wand was crushing cans, for the hype. They're not going to learn now, if they didn't then.

It's been a while since I've seen someone post the Chonan heel hook gif, what a beauty. Now his haters just say Anderson was on roids.

Omigawa/Elkins is still one of the worst decisions ever

some fighters were out of there league for sure, and less skilled than the majority of there opponents, but calling anyone with less wins than losses, or someone with a mediocre career a can is absurd, these so called “Cans” would smash about 99.9% of you shertards.

If you press these 'fans' to give you a breakdown of these fights, they simply disappear.

Yuhi Sano was a can for instance...Clueless on the ground against a much smaller Hoyler...

Toyonoga, Hamanaka, Satake were limted too..
Nishijima was a boxer.
Oyama, Matsui e Yamamoto were so-so...

Shoji proved he was legit though.

I remember Oyama being fed to the wolves back to back during the PRIDE days. It's hard to see the true level of a journeyman when you face :
Wanderlei Silva
Wallid Ismail
Renzo Gracie (he won that one though)
Ryan Gracie
Dan Henderson
Mirko Crocop

He did decently in K1 Heroes though. I remember him dispatching Peter Aerts in 30 secs :D

I remember Oyama being fed to the wolves back to back during the PRIDE days. It's hard to see the true level of a journeyman when you face :
Wanderlei Silva
Wallid Ismail
Renzo Gracie (he won that one though)
Ryan Gracie
Dan Henderson
Mirko Crocop

He did decently in K1 Heroes though. I remember him dispatching Peter Aerts in 30 secs :D
hmm..yeah...ya might be right...

I stayed on the fence about him coz some of his legit Quality Wins were also somehow problematic ones:
Kang
Ronin
Valentijn
Henzo

were realistically past their prime...

Omigawa/Elkins is still one of the worst decisions ever
How can you say that is one of the worst decisions ever??? Elkins easily won 29-28 if you have seen the fight.....the issue is one judge gave elkins a 30-27...which was bullshit. Doesnt mean omigawa should have won the fight. ???

How can you say that is one of the worst decisions ever??? Elkins easily won 29-28 if you have seen the fight.....the issue is one judge gave elkins a 30-27...which was bullshit. Doesnt mean omigawa should have won the fight. ???

It was a clear 29-28 for Omigawa. The 30-27 was just the icing on the bullshit cake

Just from a personal pet peeve standpoint, I always found Daijiro Matsui to be absolutely intolerable to watch. He was the ultimate example of a fighter that just could not get a finish. He'd give'r all he had, but his skillset was very limited and he just kept getting fights in Pride that far better guys should have been offered. He did have some decent wins mind you, the greatest one being over Rampage when he destroyed Matsui's balls early, but when you analyze his career as a whole I just can't fathom how anyone can hold him in high regard. He was tough, but so was damn near everyone else in the premier MMA organization at the time, and his constant losses to decent fighters early on in his career should have left him looking for work elsewhere far sooner. Sorry, but Matsui was a can and had way more breaks in the business than he ever deserved.

Satake was another can supreme. A decent kickboxer at best in his prime, he just never cottoned on to MMA at all. And his teeth were absolutely jacked.

Just from a personal pet peeve standpoint, I always found Daijiro Matsui to be absolutely intolerable to watch. He was the ultimate example of a fighter that just could not get a finish. He'd give'r all he had, but his skillset was very limited and he just kept getting fights in Pride that far better guys should have been offered. He did have some decent wins mind you, the greatest one being over Rampage when he destroyed Matsui's balls early, but when you analyze his career as a whole I just can't fathom how anyone can hold him in high regard. He was tough, but so was damn near everyone else in the premier MMA organization at the time, and his constant losses to decent fighters early on in his career should have left him looking for work elsewhere far sooner. Sorry, but Matsui was a can and had way more breaks in the business than he ever deserved.

Satake was another can supreme. A decent kickboxer at best in his prime, he just never cottoned on to MMA at all. And his teeth were absolutely jacked.
At least ya spared Shoji this time...

BJ no.gif

Back