Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 23] - Cross-Trainin´ in MMA´s 'Dark Ages'...

how many NHB fights?
Who Bruce Lee? He has no record to speak of. But if you are asking - say if Khabib fought him 100 times? How many times he would beat him? If that is what you are asking. Sorry, I am not sure I quite got it.

Who Bruce Lee? He has no record to speak of. But if you are asking - say if Khabib fought him 100 times? How many times he would beat him?
A MMArtist or a NHB/Vale Tudo competitor is/was someone who goes/went inside the ring under specific rules.

It is what it is.

Iz normal.

Carlson was from the ol´school... Believed in 'clans'...and traitors ('creontes')...

After his draw against [Luta Livre] Ivan Gomes, he became friends with him, and they started to cross-train together, but under 1 condition: Ivan would never challenge him again.

Check the different 'ideologies' between different BJJ branches > the 1954 Challenge between Oswaldo Fadda´s students vs [Helio] Gracie BJJ´s students,
See the Horion/Baturin episode...
See Helson´s comments after Hoyce´s loss vs Hughes...

It’s still not right (IMO) to train a guy to fight against the man who gave you your black belt.

Maybe Pederneiras didn’t have control over the situation; Lewis was already his student and may have made the decision to accept this fight without Pederneiras’s approval.
I have no idea, just saying that this is possible.

Interesting read @gono btw but finding a few exceptional cases doesn't make it the rule for everyone else. The beginning of cross training martial arts certainly predates the modern era, but that doesn't mean that the previous eras weren't one dimensional.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your premise, but either way I enjoyed the post ;).

Interesting read @gono btw but finding a few exceptional cases doesn't make it the rule for everyone else. The beginning of cross training martial arts certainly predates the modern era, but that doesn't mean that the previous eras weren't one dimensional.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your premise, but either way I enjoyed the post ;).
I´ve been addin´ other cases through the thread (see pages 2 & 3), gonna post more info, fights and gifs of relevant technical sequences...

Im actually convinced that the previous eras werent [that] one-dimensional, but it has to be showcased inside the ring/cage.

Last edited:
It’s still not right (IMO) to train a guy to fight against the man who gave you your black belt.

Maybe Pederneiras didn’t have control over the situation; Lewis was already his student and may have made the decision to accept this fight without Pederneiras’s approval.
I have no idea, just saying that this is possible.
Agreed.

This stance was legit back in the days.

In time, the fight itself:

I wonder at what point,that Capoeira became accepted in the jiujitsu schools. I know Waldemar Santana trained both but thats not the same.

I wonder at what point,that Capoeira became accepted in the jiujitsu schools. I know Waldemar Santana trained both but thats not the same.
Was the original rivalry..

Waldemar trained capoeira too coz he was black, was adopted by them Gracies but wasnt really part of the family...

When Mestre Hulk defeated Amaury Bitetti, the BJJ crew tried to contest the victory in the ring (they had already written Bitteti´s name on the trophy), but Helio was the one who acknowledged the Capoeirista´s win...

I was going to post like who the fuck believes people trained 1 thing for an "everything goes" or a mixed martial arts bout, but from the posts I get where you're coming from lol

Japanese Scene:

> Gono:

Gono btw Rounds - heel hook.gif

Gono btw Rounds - kick 1.gif Gono btw Rounds - kick 2.gif

gono.gif

Last edited:
Theres not enough gifs of gono on the net. Hes a very Gifable person.

American Scene :

> Guy Mezger :

vlcsnap-2019-01-18-02h27m39s426.png

In his 7th Pancrase fight, 1 year after havin´ transitionned to MMA (!), pulled no less than 2 kneebars against Gregory Smit [Pancrase - Truth 1, 1996] :

Guy Mezger vs Gregory Smit - 2.gif Guy Mezger vs Gregory Smit - 3.gif

Guy Mezger vs Gregory Smit - 1.gif Guy Mezger vs Gregory Smit - 4.gif

Last edited:
> American Scene:

Vernon 'Tiger' White.

vlcsnap-2019-01-19-10h38m25s015-png.507059

Tiger had a background in TKD.
He then joined Pancrase Org., where he had to learn the ground game, like all the pure strikers who went there.
Joined the Lion´s Den Team, and progressively refined his ground game (see his defensive grappling against SAKU G. in Pride, and his leglocks game here, as a striker...).
Underrated.

Tiger heel 1.gif Tiger heel 2.gif

Last edited:
> Dutch scene:

Allistair 'Reem':

Alistair Overeem vs Yasuhito Namekawa.gif

reem vs sahinbas.gif

Last edited:
> Brazilian Vale Tudo scene:

Pedro Hizzo:

MT/KB background, he then worked on his ground game under Marco Huas, Luta Livre style.

Pedro Hizzo vs TK 3.png

Pedro Hizzo vs TK 1.png

Pedro Hizzo keylock.gif

Last edited:
> Brazilian Vale Tudo scene:

Babalu:

Evolution of his skill set [1980s-90s]:

Judo [yellow belt] > 'Thai Boxin´' [was then a mix in Rio de Janeiro: Boxe + TKD + Capoeira] > Luta Livre [Roberto Leitão] > Freestyle Wrasslin´ [Brazilian National Team / influence of Leo Moraes, Cuban Wrassler] > BJJ [Gracie Barra]

Note: 1st steps in BJJ b4 Gracie Barra > with Tata, Roberto Traven, Castelo Branco.

vlcsnap-2019-01-23-05h31m24s003.png

babalu.gif babalu armbar.gif babalu kimu.gif babalu suplex.gif

babalu arm2.gif

yellow babalu vs ilyu - 3.gif yellow babalu vs ilyu - 4.gif

yellow babalu vs ilyu - 5.gif yellow babalu vs ilyu - 6.gif

Last edited:
Back