Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 23] - Cross-Trainin´ in MMA´s 'Dark Ages'...

> Russian NHB Scene:

Ivan Gerus:

Capable grappler, showcased some interesting Boxing skills (defensively too):

@ IAFC - Russian Open Cup 3 [August 29, 1997 - Moscow, Russia]:
Ivan Chestowukov vs IvanGuerus

Ivan Chestowukov vs Ivan Gerus (IAFC) - 1.gif Ivan Chestowukov vs Ivan Gerus (IAFC) - 2.gif Ivan Chestowukov vs Ivan Gerus (IAFC) - 3.gif Ivan Chestowukov vs Ivan Gerus (IAFC) - 4.gif

vlcsnap-2018-12-17-22h07m11s596.png

Last edited:
> Russian NHB Scene:

Ivan Gerus:

Last edited:
> Russian NHB Scene:

Igor Zinoviev:

vlcsnap-2018-12-22-05h43m15s691.png

Last edited:
If you watch the earlier UFC's and PrideFC's it is pretty clear the level of cross-training wasn't anywhere near what it is today.

I mean yes, it occurred in the past. Even Jack Dempsey cross trained back in the 20's. He wrote a book about it.

1581603150.jpg

But that doesn't mean it was a fully realized, widespread phenomenon in NHB/UFC/Pride. Fighters were still mostly one dimensional. Frank Shamrock took it to a higher level, incorporating world class athletic discipline with grappling and striking. He mixed it all together in a way that hadn't been seen before and forced the next stage of MMA's evolution.
I see your Dempsey from the 1920s and raise you Bartitsu from 1898:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

220px-Copy_of_Montage.jpg

> Brazilian Vale Tudo Scene:

One of the 'forgotten' Gracies:

vlcsnap-2018-12-22-06h26m30s058.png

vlcsnap-2018-12-22-06h21m11s362.png

Didnt follow Helio´s 'ideology'...

Last edited:
> American NHB Scene:

Din Thomas [BJJ]:

vlcsnap-2019-01-06-01h44m13s690.png

Din flyin armbar.gif Din jab.gif

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Last edited:
Why do you type like that? Fucking add the g’s, you retard. It doesn’t make you look cooler if you don’t, it makes you seem like an attention whoring idiot.
Gtfo, ya ´tard!

out.gif

That ivan gerus ridgehand was sweet. That must be risky without gloves.

One of the 'forgotten' Gracies:

View attachment 497323

View attachment 497325

Didnt follow Helio´s 'ideology'...

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/carlson-gracie-junior
“In 1995 Carlson Junior made his no-holds-barred official début against John Lewis. The bout was not without controversy as Lewis was prepared by one of Carlson Senior’s former students, André Pederneiras. Carlson was vocal at the time in the sport’s media, expressing his discontent over his former student’s decision. The fight ended in a draw.”

I didn’t know John Lewis was working with Pederneiras before this fight. I knew he got a black belt from him later on.

I don’t know exactly what Helio’s “ideology” is.
I’ve only heard Rorion and Royce claim that they are practicing something different.
I also don’t know a single aspect of a single technique that Helio “refined”.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/carlson-gracie-junior
“In 1995 Carlson Junior made his no-holds-barred official début against John Lewis. The bout was not without controversy as Lewis was prepared by one of Carlson Senior’s former students, André Pederneiras. Carlson was vocal at the time in the sport’s media, expressing his discontent over his former student’s decision. The fight ended in a draw.”

I didn’t know John Lewis was working with Pederneiras before this fight. I knew he got a black belt from him later on.
This would make for an interesting topic. The fighters out of Brazil branching out to teach others competing in mma in the early days

Back