Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 15] - The Anatomy of A Fighter - Khabib... [1/2]

gono btw

Rounds...
Banned
Reaction score
Warning: TLDR here.
Noticed that people here were showing interest in his skill set...
Thus I tried to assess his evolution...

scared.gif

Today :

The Anatomy of A Fighter - Khabib... [Part 1]

Myth > Khabib´s skill set hasnt evolved.

[Part 2]:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...-the-anatomy-of-a-fighter-khabib-2-2.3844507/

Note: this thread can be seen as an extension of these ones:

Context:

Pre-UFC Run:
> btw Fight 1 & 4: @ LW
> btw Fight 5 & 6: @ WW
> btw Fight 7 & 8: @ LW
> btw Fight 9 & 16: @ WW

UFC Run:
> 9 Fights @ LW.
> 2 fights @ Catchweight (159-160 lbs)

Total = 15 fights @ LW / 12 fights @ WW.

Safe to say that Khabib´s a big LW, realistically a WW...

Orgs:
CSFU: Champions League
Pankration Atrium Cup
Tsumada Fighting Championship
M-1
ProFC
Golden Fist Russia
UFC

Enclosure > Ring,
except:
Pankration Atrium Cup > Open Mat.
UFC > Cage.

I] The [linear] Evolution of Khabib´s striking:

'Linear' because it seems he´s been adding each technique progressively,
while limiting former [awkward] ones...

- Pre-UFC Run:

Limitations:
Very limited kicking game.
Very limited boxing > 1st time he threw:
a jab: against Oleg Bagov (8th fight).
an uppercut: against Ashot Shahinyan (12th fight)

His favourite techniques:
overhands, and lead left hooks (against orthodox fighters), without any set-up or combos,
which would prove to be rather problematic, since his opponents would time it, even better than in the UFC:

vs Oleg Bagov, @2mn34: Khabib leading with the left hook, got countered & taken down.

vs Kadzhik Abadzhyan, @ 4mn 55: was "wobbled" & almost dropped.

khabib-hit.gif

vs Ramazan Kurbanismailov, @ 0mn30 & @ 2mn35:

On a side note, against Oleg Bagov, headbutts were allowed, and Khabib´s technique there was
pretty weird, safe to say that he hadnt mastered this 'technique'...

Overall, decent striking defence (except for leg kicks), rarely hit flush, decent footwork.

- UFC Run: [move to AKA: 2013]

The Kamal Shalorus fight showcased some interesting inovations:
more left jabs, 1st body shots, less lead left hooks, and more confidence in his uppercuts.

It can actually be viewed as Khabib´s Uppercut Era, which became one of his
go-to-move, as he was literally spamming them during this fight.

Indeed, it was also a lead left uppercut that dropped Tavares and led to the finish.

Against Pat Healy, who´s a bigger, pressure fighter (realistically a WW), Khabib, while moving backwards,
chose again to spam the left uppercut.
He also frequently used the flying knee, to get quicker to the clinch.
But Khabib also instinctively went back to one of his ol´ [awkward] go-to-move:
lead left hooks (7 times: twice countered > by a TD attempt & by a left jab)

Against RDA, a southpaw, Khabib used 'only' twice the lead left hook, but was already using the left jab by
the 3rd Rd.

MJ, if he indeed didnt legit "wobble" him like Kadzhik Abadzhyan did, was clearly
outboxing him, with combos, body shots, and sheer volume.

Against Edson Barboza, Khabib used more jabz, flying knee to reduce the distance & get quicker to the clinch.
In this fight, Khabib showcased a more versatile striking, for the 1st time:
better [diversified] kicks (better leg kicks, more quickness & accuracy in his high kicks) indeed, better jabz, still some weird hammer fist punches on the feet, but better combos jabs/kick,
fence work/dirty boxing, and efficient GNP, progressively inflicting legit damage.

Overall, good striking defence evolution (except for leg kicks), rarely hit flush,
good transition from the ring to the cage, decent footwork [quick at moving backwards].

Note 1:
imo, the Real Estate Agent fight can be seen as an anomaly, boxing-wise: Al deliberately sacrificed
his defence because of the TD threat.. Stationary target that made Khabib´s jab look better than it is...

Note 2:
Knees in the clinch dont really belong to his arsenal, Khabib´s priority is to secure the grip
& work on the double-leg TD near the fence.

Note 3:
As awkward as Khabib´s boxing is, it´s wild/unorthodox enough to earn his opponents´ hespect,
especially his overhands...
Still, since he joined AKA, he´s obviously been working on his tendencies to spam lead left hooks & uppercuts, since he joined AKA, and might limit/avoid them against elite strikers.​

Last edited:
This is a good post, needs more attention.

I will bookmark it and come back and take it all in. That reminds me let me tag that part 2.

Warning: TLDR here.
Noticed that people here were showing interest in his skill set...
Thus I tried to assess his evolution...

View attachment 450161

Today :

The Anatomy of A Fighter - Khabib... [Part 1]

Myth > Khabib´s skill set hasnt evolved.

[Part 2:]
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...-the-anatomy-of-a-fighter-khabib-2-2.3844507/

Note: this thread can be seen as an extension of this one:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-13-khabib´s-eastern-european-career.3830345/#post-144836697

Context:

Pre-UFC Run:

UFC Run:
> 9 Fights @ LW.
> 2 fights @ Catchweight (159-160 lbs)

Total = 15 fights @ LW / 12 fights @ WW.

Safe to say that Khabib´s a big LW, realistically a WW...

Orgs:
CSFU: Champions League
Pankration Atrium Cup
Tsumada Fighting Championship
M-1
ProFC
Golden Fist Russia
UFC

Enclosure > Ring,
except:
Pankration Atrium Cup > Open Mat.
UFC > Cage.

1/ The [linear] Evolution of Khabib´s striking:

'Linear' because it seems he´s been adding each technique progressively,
while limiting former [awkward] ones...

- Pre-UFC Run:

Limitations:
Very limited kicking game.
Very limited boxing > 1st time he threw:
a jab: against Oleg Bagov (8th fight).
an uppercut: against Ashot Shahinyan (12th fight)

His favourite techniques:
overhands, and lead left hooks (against orthodox fighters), without any set-up or combos,
which would prove to be rather problematic, since his opponents would time it, even better than in the UFC:

vs Oleg Bagov, @2mn34: Khabib leading with the left hook, got countered & taken down.

vs Kadzhik Abadzhyan, @ 4mn 55: got "wobbled" & almost dropped.

View attachment 450163

vs Ramazan Kurbanismailov, @ 0mn30 & @ 2mn35:

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Kha...rbanismailov_Pancration_Atrium_Cup_1/10166453

On a side note, against Oleg Bagov, headbutts were allowed, and Khabib´s technique there was
pretty weird, safe to say that he hadnt mastered this 'technique'...

Overall, decent striking defence (except for leg kicks), rarely hit flush, decent footwork.

- UFC Run: [move to AKA: 2013]

The Kamal Shalorus fight showcased some interesting inovations:
more left jabs, 1st body shots, less lead left hooks, and more confidence in his uppercuts.

It can actually be viewed as Khabib´s Uppercut Era, which became one of his
go-to-move, as he was literally spamming them during this fight.

Indeed, it was also a lead left uppercut that dropped Tavares and led to the finish.

Against Pat Healy, who´s a bigger, pressure fighter (realistically a WW), Khabib, while moving backwards,
chose again to spam the left uppercut.
He also frequently used the flying knee, to get quicker to the clinch.
But Khabib also instinctively went back to one of his ol´ [awkward] go-to-move:
lead left hooks (7 times: twice countered > by a TD attempt & by a left jab)

Against RDA, a southpaw, Khabib used twice the lead left hook, but was already using the left jab by
the 3rd Rd.

MJ, if he indeed didnt legit "wobble" him like Kadzhik Abadzhyan did, was clearly
outboxing him, with combos, body shots, and sheer volume.

Against Edson Barboza, Khabib used more jabz, flying knee to reduce the distance & get quicker to the clinch.
In this fight, Khabib showcased a more versatile striking, for the 1st time:
better [diversified] kicks (better leg kicks, more quickness & accuracy in his high kicks) indeed, better jabz, still some weird hammer fist punches on the feet, but better combos jabs/kick,
fence work/dirty boxing, and efficient GNP, progressively inflicting legit damage.

Overall, good striking defence evolution (except for leg kicks), rarely hit flush,
good transition from the ring to the cage, decent footwork [quick at moving backwards].

Note 1:
imo, the Real Estate Agent fight can be seen as an anomaly, boxing-wise: Al deliberately sacrificed
his defence because of the TD threat.. Stationary target that made Khabib´s jab look better than it is...

Note 2:
Knees in the clinch dont really belong to his arsenal, Khabib´s priority to secure the grip
& work on the double-leg TD near the fence.

Note 3:
As awkward as Khabib´s boxing is, it´s wild/unorthodox enough to earn his opponents´ hespect,
especially his overhands...
Still, since he joined AKA, he´s obviously been working on his tendencies to spam lead left hooks & uppercuts, since he joined AKA, and might limit/avoid them against elite strikers.​

Haha, now that you added the gif I'm having even more trouble desiding. His feet are together so he's definitely off balance but I honestly can't even tell if the shot connects. It almost looks like he dodges it but leans so far back to do so that his foot position coupled with this leaves him no choice but to almost fall, lol.

I'll just go with your narrative because I'm really not the least bit sure here.

Haha, now that you added the gif I'm having even more trouble desiding. His feet are together so he's definitely off balance but I honestly can't even tell if the shot connects. It almost looks like he dodges it but leans so far back to do so that his foot position coupled with this leaves him no choice but to almost fall, lol.

I'll just go with your narrative because I'm really not the least bit sure here.
I feel the counter is right on the button... Anyway, it showcased 2 things:

1: Khabib has a legit chin (since Kadzhik Abadzhyan is a WW)

2: He had to evolve as a striker since some of his earlier tendencies (lead left hook) were easily timed and countered.

Khabib has always showcased a great chin

No idea why so many people thought Conor would be able to one punch KO him

MJ hits almost as hard as Conor at 155 and he landed two clean counters to Khabib and couldn't drop him

Khabib has always showcased a great chin

No idea why so many people thought Conor would be able to one punch KO him

MJ hits almost as hard as Conor at 155 and he landed two clean counters to Khabib and couldn't drop him
Well, I see Khabib as a WW, realistically...

b4 his UFC run:

I feel the counter is right on the button... Anyway, it showcased 2 things:

1: Khabib has a legit chin (since Kadzhik Abadzhyan is a WW)

2: He had to evolve as a striker since some of his earlier tendencies (lead left hook) were easily timed and countered.
Yeah a lead hook is always a dangerous shot, especially so if you have very limited Boxing skill and don't move your head off line so I agree there but to be honest I really don't think the punch lands just by the arc of his fist and the lack of Khabibs head violently shooting back added to the way the punch continues on the same path after.

Is there another angle?

Yeah a lead hook is always a dangerous shot, especially so if you have very limited Boxing skill and don't move your head off line so I agree there but to be honest I really don't think the punch lands just by the arc of his fist and the lack of Khabibs head violently shooting back added to the way the punch continues on the same path after.

Is there another angle?
The youtube link of the fight is included here,
vs Kadzhik Abadzhyan, @ 4mn 55

Nothing about the Eagle Punch?
Timestamped below, great breakdown by Dan:

Last edited:
The youtube link of the fight is included here,
vs Kadzhik Abadzhyan, @ 4mn 55
I watched it, thats what gave me my original thought.

Look at his elbow, he doesn't actually throw untill the shot has already covered like 3 quarters of the distance and then kind of snaps it out oddly, I honestly don't think it landed and even if it did they way he threw it I couldn't see it having anything on it. Also watch Khabibs waist and arms, he's going to fall backwards regardless here imo cause he slams on the brakes with his feet together and his lower body going forward as he throws his torso back. Really weird sequence.

Nothing about the Eagle Punch?

I didnt have such good replays & camera angles when I made this breakdown... For instance, vs Tavares, IIRC it looked like an uppercut... I´d have to rewatch closely...

I watched it, thats what gave me my original thought.

Look at his elbow, he doesn't actually throw untill the shot has already covered like 3 quarters of the distance and then kind of snaps it out oddly, I honestly don't think it landed and even if it did they way he threw it I couldn't see it having anything on it. Also watch Khabibs waist and arms, he's going to fall backwards regardless here imo cause he slams on the brakes with his feet together and his lower body going forward as he throws his torso back. Really weird sequence.
ok, I paid more attention to the impact, looked like right on the button, lil movement of the chin & cheek.

ok, I paid more attention to the impact, looked like right on the button, lil movement of the chin & cheek.
I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one my friend, though it is really hard to be sure so who knows, lol

I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one my friend, though it is really hard to be sure so who knows, lol
it´s ok, we both agree that his lead left hook tendency is/was an awkward one at the highest level...

this is correct. Khabibs right cheek clearly goes through a G-Force moment which only a connecting jab will explain.

whether that or just khabibs footwork caused the fall is harder to say

this is correct. Khabibs right cheek clearly goes through a G-Force moment which only a connecting jab will explain.

whether that or just khabibs footwork caused the fall is harder to say
I see what you're saying but I'm still not sure cause he cheeck remains in that same position for the rest of the sequence. I will say the punchers left hand was distracting me though as it looks like it's the punching hand right up until the last second.

I will concede the punch may have grazed his lips but it certainly didn't land flush and I'm still pretty posistive he would have fallen back like that either way because of his foot positioning and his attempt to dodge the shot by jerking his torso backwards while his feet continue forward.

Either way though, just awkward as hell is the moral of the story here.

One quick reminder that the footage shows, is that when Khabib is on the bottom he is super aggressive.

Back