Decided it was time for a bjj intervention...

just casually leave a bar of soap on next to his stuff in the changeroom when he isn't there. leave a note on it saying

"wash your gi, seriously, the smell is unbearable - EVERYONE"

My instructor will kick you off the mat if your gi stinks. If a spare gi is available you can throw one on otherwise you are sitting out.

Bottom line, wash your F*CKIN gi you stinky bastard!!

You can call him PigPen and tell him that he can't come to class unless he gets clean- as you can visibly see stink lines emanating from him. And also tell him he smells like Hot Garbage fucking Oscar the Grouch's sloppy seconds.

Its not just a smell issue, its a major safety concern. The instructor should handle this however he thinks best before someone gets staph.

dude, if the instructor knows all he has to do is tell the dirtbag.

no need to turn it into Real World or the damn Brady Bunch.

/eot

When people come in to my gym with stinky gis, one of the instructors pulls them to the side to tell them that they stink and can't get on the mat that way. They then give the stinky dude the loaner gi and tells them never to come to class that way again. They then proceed to make an announcement to the entire class about hygiene..long nails....washing the gi...and skin infections. It's rather effective lol.

sounds like you have told him in a nice respectful way to wash his gi and he ignored you...now its time to tell him he smells like a fucken nutsack and you won't roll with him till it's fixed

you really need to tell this guy to wash his gi and himself, My best friend didn't have a washer for a week so I just washed his clothes gi included. this might be the case with the dirty guy, or he might think his gi will shrink or whatever, in any case this problem needs to be solved before someone gets staph...or fucking pink eye "cringe"

Now that you guys mention the whole health part(it skipped my mind, being overwhelmed by the stench), this is defintely getting taken care of at the next class he's at, ASAP. Our gym has, never, never, had anyone get any nasty skin infections, eye gunk, whatevers, because we wash the mats after each class. We've been lucky and this is the last thing we need.

I'll defintely take all the advice and throw it at him, with a loaner gi in hand.

A smelly gi doesn't always mean it's not being washed. Plain old detergent won't do the trick for preventing or removing terrible odor. Detergent simply cleans dirt. My first gi I ever had started smelling horrible after about 2 months. I would wash it every night, but once it got a tad moist with sweat, it would smell horrible right away. This is before I discovered how great vinegar works.

Just get your instructor to let him know that his gi stinks. Don't only tell him this, though, give him some tips about how to prevent the stink, like washing it with vinegar.

Said it before, I'll say it again: I don't get the idea of tippy-toeing around a guy with a funky Gi. We have no qualms about telling guys they need to step up the hygiene if their Gi is smelly. You don't have to be rude about it, but if you're not straight up with them, then you're doing them, and everyone else in the gym, a disservice.

Some guys honestly don't know any better. One new guy thought it was okay to spritz his Gi down with Febreeze then stick it back in his gym bag over night. Another guy was training 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day, and his Gi just built up a serious funk even with repeated washings. He just had to give it one good wash with vinegar to get the funk out, then every 5th or 6th washing, toss some vinegar in.

Once that funk sets in, it depends on the person's body chemistry, diet, etc. One of my teammate's Gi will start to smell like ammonia after a while. So he uses vinegar and it knocks it out; Gi's as good as new. Vinegar didn't do anything for my older Gi's once they started to get funky. Turns out my sweat is a bit on the acidic side, so I use a little ammonia when I wash and it turns out perfect.

you need to be firm but not mean or funny. he has to understand that you are serious and that his poor hygiene has an effect on everyone in the school. rolling with a dirty gi is a great way to spread skin infections, and that shit ain't cool.

just be straight with him- "there is an issue with the cleanliness of your gi. the schools policy is that everyone should be wearing a clean, laundered gi. we want you to be a part of the team but dirty uniforms affect everyone in the class. make sure you wash and dry your gi after every class. if you have any questions on the best way to keep your gi clean and smelling nice feel free to ask the instructor or some of the other students. if you can't wash your gi after every class let us know and maybe some other arrangements can be made."

don't be humorous about it because he may think it's some kind of male bonding styled ribbing or something and don't call him out in front of the entire class, do it one on one.

my 2 cents.

you need to be firm but not mean or funny. he has to understand that you are serious and that his poor hygiene has an effect on everyone in the school. rolling with a dirty gi is a great way to spread skin infections, and that shit ain't cool.

just be straight with him- "there is an issue with the cleanliness of your gi. the schools policy is that everyone should be wearing a clean, laundered gi. we want you to be a part of the team but dirty uniforms affect everyone in the class. make sure you wash and dry your gi after every class. if you have any questions on the best way to keep your gi clean and smelling nice feel free to ask the instructor or some of the other students. if you can't wash your gi after every class let us know and maybe some other arrangements can be made."

don't be humorous about it because he may think it's some kind of male bonding styled ribbing or something and don't call him out in front of the entire class, do it one on one.

my 2 cents.

Well said.

This thread makes me scare that maybe my gi smells and i don't know it.

I'd hate to be the guy who has a stinky gi.

I always wash my gi after class, and it never (to my knowledge) smells after it comes out of the washer. I am about to star washing it with vinegar once a week or something just to be on the safe side.

defintely going to mention the vinegar trick. I use it once every other month or more if necessary to cut the funk out of it, just skipped my mind.

How did everyone get away from the "Choking him out and burning the Gi" plan? That sounded like the way to go.

How did everyone get away from the "Choking him out and burning the Gi" plan? That sounded like the way to go.

I guess the kittens and puppies came out and everyone started to be koombyaish. Don't worry, if our intervention is met with him thining we're joking, we'll proceed to Plan B and choke the shit out of him, or should I say choke the stench out of him.

Print this thread and slip it in his bag or put on his windshield...

Lmao

I posted something similar on this thread not too long ago

Back