Decided it was time for a bjj intervention...

lacgoal

White Belt
Reaction score
After consulting with my fellow classmates and instructor, we've decided to hold an intervention for one of our guys, the reasoning... the smell of his gi.
We've tried to be nice and drop some hints and also used some acting skills, accusing another "person" that his gi stunk to which he replied, "Oh, I didn't know, I will wash my stinky gi asap!", but to no avail has he caught on or understood the theatrics we've used.
Thus, an intervention. I've been watching the show Intervention on tv for the last week and taking down tips, but it's only focused on lame topics such as alcoholism or drugs, but nothing as serious as gi stench. I mean seriously, this could kill someone!
Any tips would be appreciated as to how to approach one and not offend them by wearing a gas mask or somethung similar.
Right now, we have narrowed it down to either catching him in a choke and choking him out, stripping him of said gi and burning it while he is out, and claiming innocence when he comes back to and he is forced to buy a new gi... or hiring the local fire department to accost him in the parking lot with the water hose, washing said gi and stinky body smell from said person.
Please help!

If someone does not wash their gi after training, it is morally reprehensible for a team mate to not aware them asap.

Bar of soap. Sock. Beat him with it.

Now would you include a combination lock in the sock with it? I've watched the Lockup show on MSNBC and this is something I've seen before. Do you think this might knock the sense into him?:icon_neut

If someone does not wash their gi after training, it is morally reprehensible for a team mate to not aware them asap.

I agree, this is why we've planned an intervention. We would tell him asap, but we don't want anyone passing out if they approach him without being well prepared.

The dealbreaker for the stench was the fact that there was a skidmark too on the pants. Oh boy...

I will not roll with someone whose gi has not been washed, and you can most certainly tell.

just tell the guy, you are not gonna roll with him due to his hygiene.

Now would you include a combination lock in the sock with it? I've watched the Lockup show on MSNBC and this is something I've seen before. Do you think this might knock the sense into him?:icon_neut

Just the bar of soap....that really should do it.

We are going to tell him at the next class. Just crazy as to how you couldn't have any idea how badly you stink. I rolled with him last night and the second the round ended, I bolted from the school, sped home, and jumped straight into my shower with my gi on. I spent proudly a good hour just scrubbing to get the smell out.
I guess we've been too nice and it's time to put the foot down.

just tell him as politely as possible that the next time he steps on the mats, it has to be with a clean gi or he can't train. Make a point that you've waited for him to correct it to no avail, and so now you have to ask him to make the change.

pretty cut and dry. Of course, you don't do this in front of the whole class. Unless you want to make a big show of it for super lulz.

i actually disagree with the 'try to be nice' approach. i mean, don't be mean to him, but ppl who can't/don't take hints probably require a direct approach. be kind but firm and direct:

"we're not trying to hurt your feelings, and we're glad you're part of our team, but your hygeine has become a serious issue and we need you to take care of it. it's gotten to the point where folks don't want to roll with you because of the smell."

actually, come to think of it, this is something your instructor should probably handle. at least, that's how it's been handled in my previous schools. if it were my school, i'd take it upon myself to set the tone for the quality of training AND culture, and culture includes respect for yourself and your training partners. if i'm charging students for a service, i damn well better ensure they're able to enjoy it free of skid marks! especially on triangle days.

god. skid marks?!? in your gi pants?! christ that's foul. i'm willing to bet this isn't the first time he's had this conversation with somebody.

Last edited:
Jack,

I'm disappointed and hurt that you would think this of me.

I understand that this matter has gone on for some time, but if you had actually taken the time to speak to me about this, you would have learnt that I have gangrene. I know that it isn't the most pleasant of smells, but I would appreciate it if you tried to be understanding.

I also don't think it's appropriate that you would post such accusations of me on an online forum. I actually have quite a good reputation on this board and I dislike you spreading such stories about me.

Thanks,
Jay.

lol jk

Find an Aussie and explain your problem.

Ask the Aussie to roll with him. The Aussie male is known to be somewhat blunt and will therefore get away with stating: "F#ck mate, you STINK..."

... wait... That could just be me that's this blunt.

Is the guy poor? If he trains very often and has only one gi, then you might have an explanation there, but still, it's no excuse to wear a filthy gi. Just remember that not everyone has driers, not every home has access to lots of sunlight, and not every town has a laundromat. But then again, some people are just disgusting. Some of my training mates, especially my brother and some of his friends, just wrap their gis on their belts like a backpack and toss them on a corner. It's just disgusting. The skidmark story takes the prize, though.

What I would personally do is to approach him about it when we were alone, and say, no offense, dude, but your gi is getting too dirty, it's becoming a hygiene concern to everyone, and you should take better care of it. Some people just don't realize it or care much about it. Then, if you can just toss it on a washing machine or actually have the nerve to wash it by hand, offer to wash it, and say that you know a way to wash it without ruining the gi or whatever bullshit explanation you can make up (some people are really concerned about "ruining" their clothes). Afterwards, when you deliver the gi to the guy, just explain what you did, tell him to do that as often as he can, and pronto. This takes a little bit of effort, so it's not for everyone.

We had a guy on my high school wrestling team, he refused to take showers on a regular basis and he stank terribly all the time. After being very blunt about it by telling him he stank terribly and needed to shower, we all dragged him into the shower and poured soap all over him, He didn't shower after that for the rest of the camp. Some people are just nasty mother fuckers.

Find an Aussie and explain your problem.

Ask the Aussie to roll with him. The Aussie male is known to be somewhat blunt and will therefore get away with stating: "F#ck mate, you STINK..."

... wait... That could just be me that's this blunt.

That sounds about right.

We had a guy on my high school wrestling team, he refused to take showers on a regular basis and he stank terribly all the time. After being very blunt about it by telling him he stank terribly and needed to shower, we all dragged him into the shower and poured soap all over him, He didn't shower after that for the rest of the camp. Some people are just nasty mother fuckers.

don't roll with him... then run him over with your car

if I were an instructor and wasn't hurting for students, I'd just say "you can't roll because you don't have a clean gi... sorry man" It truly is a hygiene issue over and above the awful smell.

I actually fucked up and forgot to put soap in my washing machine and just "rinsed" my gi a few weeks ago. It sat in there for a day afterward... it was horrible and took another 2 washes to get the stench (almost) out. I don't understand dirty fuckers.

sounds like you have told him in a nice respectful way to wash his gi and he ignored you...now its time to tell him he smells like a fucken nutsack and you won't roll with him till it's fixed

you really need to tell this guy to wash his gi and himself, My best friend didn't have a washer for a week so I just washed his clothes gi included. this might be the case with the dirty guy, or he might think his gi will shrink or whatever, in any case this problem needs to be solved before someone gets staph...or fucking pink eye "cringe"

Back