Decent bench press substitute.

• Thread starter Deleted member 412415
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 412415

Hi all. I'm currently running Greyskull LP and was using incline bench as my main exercise. However, all I have is a crappy rickety old bench, and I've now reached the max weight capacity it can take. Those ratings are usually just guidelines, but the bench creaks and moves a lot with the max weight on it, so I'm playing it safe and dropping the bench for the a while... until I can buy a new one.
In the meantime, what should I replace it with? I'm already doing dips (2 x 6-8 weighted). I'm thinking either...
1) Overhead Press 3 times a week/ Overhead Press twice, Push Press once.
2) 1 arm DB benching.. this will allow me to still do a challenging movement with much less weight.
Goals are just strength development and weight gain.
Thanks.

Floor presses?

You've listed the most decent ones already

I love weighted pushups using the perfect pushup handles and homemade rings. They work my pecs much harder than traditional benching and are an open chain exercise. I currently alternate a traditional bench day with a ring day. Flies with homemade double wheels are better than flies and aren't nearly as ***gy.

OHP, Push press, floor press, dips

Why not buy a new bench?

Assuming you can't get your hands on a decent bench, I'd say do option #1, along with what JRT6 said to include at least some horizontal pressing / pec work.

Back