December 12th DAZN Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev

The difference between Fury and Joshuas struggles in the ring is that Fury mostly sandbags and fights to his opponents level while Joshua truly gets frustrated and struggles with his opposition.

I still see this as a fight that favors fury by at least 65%.

It’s a throwback thing I believe - ring announcers back in the old days (a century ago) did the same thing. I like it.

Didn't a guy in the 70s do this? I think they do it in one of the rockys too.

The difference between Fury and Joshuas struggles in the ring is that Fury mostly sandbags and fights to his opponents level while Joshua truly gets frustrated and struggles with his opposition.

I still see this as a fight that favors fury by at least 65%.
I think it depends on Fury's strategy. I think Joshua beats the version of Fury that fought Wilder and Wlad but probably loses to the Fury who beat Wilder in the rematch.

I think it depends on Fury's strategy. I think Joshua beats the version of Fury that fought Wilder and Wlad but probably loses to the Fury who beat Wilder in the rematch.

I'm wondering if we are going to see Joshua stay lean vs fury or bulk up a little. Vs pulev and ruiz Joshua isn't quick enough to outbox fury imo.

I'm wondering if we are going to see Joshua stay lean vs fury or bulk up a little. Vs pulev and ruiz Joshua isn't quick enough to outbox fury imo.

Yeah, AJ's tactical choices will be as important as Fury's. He can either get ready for war or prepare to stick and move.

I've never seen him listed anything besides 6'6
Idk never paid that close attention it was a joke we were making back in the rbr thread during the card where most of us thought they adjusted his height another inch but I really don't know.

As good as he did yesterday, he still gassed a bit. I think he needs to maybe get even leaner and work a lot more on cardio. Furys biggest advantage will be when AJ takes rounds off. That’s when he’ll start fighting ugly and aim to frustrate and tire AJ. AJ needs to be active enough to let off the gas but still throw enough to keep himself safe and circle Fury need be, even if it’s late in the fight.

I has truly happy to see Joshua get the win this weekend. However, I am still skeptical about his mental toughness. I still remember the look on his face when he lost to Ruiz. I didn't see a man with great mental toughness. This is why I believe Joshua will lose when he fights Tyson Fury. I believe Tyson is just as skilled but much tougher mentally.

I has truly happy to see Joshua get the win this weekend. However, I am still skeptical about his mental toughness. I still remember the look on his face when he lost to Ruiz. I didn't see a man with great mental toughness. This is why I believe Joshua will lose when he fights Tyson Fury. I believe Tyson is just as skilled but much tougher mentally.
I get where you are coming from but I don't think it's mental toughness that he's lacking. He got off the deck with Klitschko to later knock him out and he rose 4 times? from the deck with Ruiz when he could have stayed down at any point. The issue is he has a so so chin. That look of panic you describe is when his mind goes 'oh shit' because he is rocked. Fury has much better powers of recovery but Joshua is a warrior.

He was concussed. Hes gotten off of his ass and kept fighting multiple times. This toughness question is absurdly overblown.

AJ really accepted the clinch more than I thought against Pulev, who, for his own part lacks an inside game. If Fury chooses to tie him up he will outmuscle and exhaust AJ. I also think Fury has a better sense of distance and feints.

AJ was wary enough of a 39 year old not known to be a big puncher. I can see why. I didn't like how AJ responded to a few of Pulev's landed punches. He chirps a lot in the ring and smiles and shakes his head, but those are all lies. His body language told me that he felt those.

I think this was NOT an easy fight for AJ and Pulev is OLD. Even Klitschko, who is accused of being gun shy, shredded a prime Pulev in less time and looked way more in control.

The biggest problems for AJ are his fatigue and chin. He wasn't pressed enough to where he couldn't recover from his combo attack. If he was pressed and made to react more, I imagine he would have struggled to get his wind back.

AJ really accepted the clinch more than I thought against Pulev, who, for his own part lacks an inside game. If Fury chooses to tie him up he will outmuscle and exhaust AJ. I also think Fury has a better sense of distance and feints.

AJ was wary enough of a 39 year old not known to be a big puncher. I can see why. I didn't like how AJ responded to a few of Pulev's landed punches. He chirps a lot in the ring and smiles and shakes his head, but those are all lies. His body language told me that he felt those.

I think this was NOT an easy fight for AJ and Pulev is OLD. Even Klitschko, who is accused of being gun shy, shredded a prime Pulev in less time and looked way more in control.

The biggest problems for AJ are his fatigue and chin. He wasn't pressed enough to where he couldn't recover from his combo attack. If he was pressed and made to react more, I imagine he would have struggled to get his wind back.
And if he was pressed more his opponent likely would have been ktfo even earlier. It should have been ended in the third round.

Many seem to have forgotten that Fury has more fights than just the second outing against Wilder. As if he just walks through everyone in front of him.

And if he was pressed more his opponent likely would have been ktfo even earlier. It should have been ended in the third round.

Many seem to have forgotten that Fury has more fights than just the second outing against Wilder. As if he just walks through everyone in front of him.

Depends how a fighter is being pressured. Come now, you know this. Anyhow, it clearly should NOT have ended in the third as Pulev actually showed better in later rounds compared to the 2nd and 3rd. In fact, Pulev's cleanest, hardest punches were landed rounds after the third.

Also, I didn't say Fury was unbeatable. He is the guy who uppercutted himself, and he was flattened by Steve Cunningham. My observations about what he CAN do, however, are quite valid.

Depends how a fighter is being pressured. Come now, you know this. Anyhow, it clearly should NOT have ended in the third as Pulev actually showed better in later rounds compared to the 2nd and 3rd. In fact, Pulev's cleanest, hardest punches were landed rounds after the third.

Also, I didn't say Fury was unbeatable. He is the guy who uppercutted himself, and he was flattened by Steve Cunningham. My observations about what he CAN do, however, are quite valid.
How many times have you seen someone hurt, literally turn and run away, and be allowed to continue? That was a 110% valid stoppage.

Fury is a great, great fighter. Hes still being evaluated on a one fight basis right now and its rather silly. Fury very well may beat AJ. But, AJ has still shown more and shown more against better competition than Fury has. Its not even close in that regard to be quite honest.

Somehow Fury’s newfound fanboys will praise him for his boxing abilities such as in the Wlad fight where he quite literally did nothing, then turn around and say AJ is scared to fight when he chooses to box. Its all just laughable. (Not pointing this at you, just speaking generally.)

I thought the ref was absolutely terrible in this fight. I don't remember his name but I'm keeping an eye on that motherfucker. He is as bad of a ref as Brian Kenny is an announcer.

I get where you are coming from but I don't think it's mental toughness that he's lacking. He got off the deck with Klitschko to later knock him out and he rose 4 times? from the deck with Ruiz when he could have stayed down at any point. The issue is he has a so so chin. That look of panic you describe is when his mind goes 'oh shit' because he is rocked. Fury has much better powers of recovery but Joshua is a warrior.

I like your explanation better than mine Aries. Well said. :)

How many times have you seen someone hurt, literally turn and run away, and be allowed to continue? That was a 110% valid stoppage.

Fury is a great, great fighter. Hes still being evaluated on a one fight basis right now and its rather silly. Fury very well may beat AJ. But, AJ has still shown more and shown more against better competition than Fury has. Its not even close in that regard to be quite honest.

Somehow Fury’s newfound fanboys will praise him for his boxing abilities such as in the Wlad fight where he quite literally did nothing, then turn around and say AJ is scared to fight when he chooses to box. Its all just laughable. (Not pointing this at you, just speaking generally.)

As much as I'd like to say, "it does matter what we see" as reality, in boxing what we sees never changes a thing. They fight kept going. Many counted out Fury in that last round of his first fight against Wilder. That could have been it. But it wasn't. So we just don't know, and hindsight is a bitch. It makes us arrogant and entitled to our new truth. There are bullshit occurrences all the time.from Canelo vs GGG 1, to Mayweather getting knocked down by Judah and it not counting, even though it was, by definition, a knockdown. We have to accept what played out because it existed within the realm and parameters of the sport.

Well, people can go fight to fight with Fury when they appraise him. That's on them. They can overhype a Wlad win all they want, too. He beat an old Wlad just as AJ did (older in AJ's case by two years). The thing about Fury is that his performance ceiling I think is higher. AJ is a bit more consistent in his fights, but I have more doubt about him pulling through in tight spots. Against Wlad, I think he was saved because while Wlad has been described by many sparring partners and opponents as a destructive hitter with both fists, he just doesn't press for the KO. Wlad kind of let him off the hook, especially between the end of the fifth right through to the 10th. Wlad never had something to bite onto against Fury. That fight sucked. It sucked. Don't get me started.

The AJ knob-slurpers are guilty of their own fart huffing. They have a hard time looking past his tentative movements and questionable punch resistance. They see "box" and think it's because he wants to, but he knows that it is something which he MUST do because he can't take a punch. He reacts poorly to it. He always has.

And thank you for clarifying the generalization being made by your comment included in parentheses. I know that, all too often, I reply to someone and use it to make general observations and to generate criticisms, but they aren't actually aimed at the person to whom I was replying.

Back