[DEBUNKED] Reebok deal getting worse and worse: $3 per kit for the fighters

Interesting point: Tim Kennedy and Brendan Schaub made it pretty clear that 20% is NOT the actual amount fighters get. So there must be some sort of derivative percentage of an amount that's "20%"... some sort of sharing system.

This is interesting because no less than seven different sources quoted 20%... so either they are not reading the contract properly, not reading the contract at all, or feel they cannot even tip to that the "20%" is not entirely true.

As Schaub and Kennedy said "We can't say or we'll get in trouble". So this whole thing seems to be quite interesting in regards to how it's being sold and handled.

Gotta say I'm now very intrigued.

20% is probably way more than Reebok or nike pays out to any other athlete. It seems like a low ball number, but that's how it goes when you make the shirts, pay the promotion, pay distribution, advertise, etc. Honestly i really was expecting 3% from Reebok. It would have shown more faith had they put it at 35% when they got such a ridiculously good deal from the UFC contract.

20% is probably way more than Reebok or nike pays out to any other athlete. It seems like a low ball number, but that's how it goes when you make the shirts, pay the promotion, pay distribution, advertise, etc. Honestly i really was expecting 3% from Reebok. It would have shown more faith had they put it at 35% when they got such a ridiculously good deal from the UFC contract.

I agree the 20% seemed weird on face value. The reason it was considered even remotely correct was that.... well it was said and repeated over and over. More important, on a personal level, plenty of sources repeated it.

All that said, given how lacking the "business professionals" in MMA are... maybe they all just wanted to sound like they were "on the in" and so just repeated what they heard.

Won't be surprised even if the fighters are being charged per jersey at this point, lol.

so has the debunking been debunked?

but i do agree with runnpray, fighters need to promote their kits more, be it 3 or 20, if they can get people to buy more kits its dollars in their purse

UFC is indirectly asking the fighters to self promote a bit

so has the debunking been debunked?

Right now it stands that 20% is being claimed from managers, while leaving wiggle room. Schaub and Kennedy are claiming "less but we cannot say how much or we will get in trouble".

edit: Here's the first mention I can find of the 20%... noted in the MMAJunkie article about official numbers. http://mmajunkie.com/2015/05/ufc-officially-announces-reebok-sponsorship-numbers

but i do agree with runnpray, fighters need to promote their kits more, be it 3 or 20, if they can get people to buy more kits its dollars in their purse
So far the only people that would make any money pff the kits is Conor and Rousey. And if the money is $3/per and lends nothing to the persona or marketed personality... then what's the point?

UFC is indirectly asking the fighters to self promote a bit
While giving almost no incentive... since they make little and a Neil Magny jersey looks exactly like every other American Jersey.... and none of them seem to appeal to the fanbase.

Last edited:
Right now it stands that 20% is being claimed from managers, while leaving wiggle room. Schaub and Kennedy are claiming "less but we cannot say how much or we will get in trouble".

edit: Here's the first mention I can find of the 20%... noted in the MMAJunkie article about official numbers. http://mmajunkie.com/2015/05/ufc-officially-announces-reebok-sponsorship-numbers

So far the only people that would make any money pff the kits is Conor and Rousey. And if the money is $3/per and lends nothing to the persona or marketed personality... then what's the point?

--
My point being , say for example fighter A can make 1k people buy, then even at 3$ its still 3K for some self promotion plus getting some new fans via this effort

While giving almost no incentive... since they make little and a Neil Magny jersey looks exactly like every other American Jersey.... and none of them seem to appeal to the fanbase.

i agree with your third point, jerseys need to be more personalized, reebok got lazy there

The numbers from the Glover main event say it all, it's a shit deal for the fighters. Just look at what Phil Davis and Josh Thompson have said about going to bellator and making 50k+ per fight from sponsors

I don't like this Reebok shit anyway. But some people make big money with this idiot Reebok deal and it's not the fighter.
In my opinion, this Reebok outfit, it's doesn't personalize the fighter anymore.

Back