Death Penalty... For or against?

The family of the victim should have to do it. Not a hired executioner

in it's current form no, it's a ridiculous practice, I think if it was to be legal, they should find the most immediate kin of a purposefully violent offenders victim and make them be the one to "Pull the trigger" if the death penalty is given.

There would be a LOT less executions if individuals had to take responsibility instead of society hiding behind the anonymous state IMO. The state murdering people is counterproductive, no matter what they have done.

There was a recent case in front of the supreme court (Glossip v Gross) where Justice Scalia and Justice Breyer sparred over whether the death penalty could be categorically unconsitutional, given the significant chance at innocence. Breyer argues that the death penalty should not be permitted because it involves a permanant cessation to one's rights and abilities to appeal a potentially unjust conviction, where convictions are unreliable. Scalia thinks that this is acceptable,and the problem with conviction reliability is a problem with convictions, not with the death penalty. I'm not convinced by this distinction because the death penalty arises out of the conviction, so the process by which it arises should be important in evaluating the death penalty.

In the case of Nazi war criminals, I think the death penalty was justified.

They should off that guy, he's a piece a shit.

If you purposely take a life why should you be left to enjoy life's wonders?

(I'm all over the place on this issue tbh.)

You know man I followed that case pretty closely and my craphouse psychologist take on Holmes was that this whole thing was calculated. I think he was only seeing a shrink to validate his "I'm crazy" defense after he did what meticulously calculated and designed to do which was a mass killing.

and then for him to not off himself like most of these mass shooters and just sit there waiting to be arrested...yeah that s.o.b was crazy but not Adam lanza crazy he was just evil and imo opinion needs to be put down

You're absolutely right. Your psychologist take is craphouse.

Generally - for death penalty. Plus I wish it could be accelerated.

Yes, I'm aware of the problems.

what about the allied force commanders who ordered Dresden bombed?

No. War crime trials for sure, but there's a difference between targeting a civilian population in war (wrong) and targeting an entire culture of people for genocide (also really bad).

How many rich people do you see get the death penalty?

Back