Death Penalty - for/against?

No, because the Old Testament Jewish people were told by God to have it.

How do you pick which parts of the Old Testament to follow? It also says you can sell your daughter into slavery and you can't eat pork or shellfish.

100% support but need to revamp the whole system. Mainly, only issue a death sentence in cases in which it is beyond reasonable doubt (and there is plenty of cases that are) AND eliminate the long process of keeping the inmate alive on death row.

I'm against it. Of course personally I think a ton of people should be put to death but a) there are too many flaws in the justice system and b) I don't think the government should be deciding whether or not someone lives or dies.

I would be for it if it were cheaper, however that seems not to be the case. Pity about that.

Both sides make good arguments. There are certain people who just need to go. They are so broken and so far beyond redemption that we get nothing out of supporting them for the rest of their lives. But we often make mistakes and kill innocent people, and we take the risk of applying state sponsored murder too broadly. On the balance, I can't support a death penalty. We are responsible for each other, and none of us are wise enough to say who must die.

Personally I dont understand how you can support it. Wrongfull convinctions happen all the time and death can't be overturned. Even for that reason alone I don't understand how you can support it.

Furthermore, it's proven that doesn't stop peopee from doing crime, so basically the detterent effect is non-existent.

What are the pro aguments? How can you explain it to yourself supporting something that you know has such flaws?

People react differently to having someone close to them killed or badly hurt because of a monster. Not everyone finds closure by turning the other cheek.

People should always be allowed to have the choice on how they return the "favor"

Last edited:
Work on getting a better legal system, and a lower rate of false convictions. Then set up an express lane. Rapist, murderer, pedophile, etc? .45 to the back of the head, no appeals process. A conveyor belt into spikes Mario style would work too. We need to make it more cost effective than life imprisonment.

How do you pick which parts of the Old Testament to follow? It also says you can sell your daughter into slavery and you can't eat pork or shellfish.
Something something rules got changed.

personally i don't really agree with the death penalty, i'd rather lock them up in a cage and throw away the key.

but i'm not bothered if the death penalty is what a state wants to have. i just don't like the cavalier attitude of some people that death penalty cases are always so clear cut, especially ones based on eye witness testimony as the primary source of evidence.

A big part of the reason I can never take religion seriously.
Yeah every time anyone points out how they pick and choose which rules to follow, it's all about how some obscure clause changed this or that. Hey isn't it, like, the word of god? why is that dude so indecisive then? It's almost like all of this was made up by people in huts thousands of years ago, and they're struggling to adapt to cultural changes. The answer is always that I have to read the whole thing and go to church and it'll make sense. Naaaaaaaaah, sounds too culty to me.

For.

Some people just don't deserve to live in this world anymore.

Depends really. Its not a clear cut issue especially since many people who are against it would be for it if their family were the victim.

No one can argue about the cost though. Why cant we just poison them with carbon monoxide? Its cheap and humane. You simply give them 20mg of a good opiod to relax them and mask the headaches and then they fall asleep and die.

Last edited:
People react differently to having someone close to them killed or badly hurt because of a monster. Not everyone finds closure by turning the other cheek.

People should always be allowed to have the choice on how they return the "favor"

Seinfeld had a great joke about this.

JERRY: People like the idea of revenge. Have you ever heard the expression 'The best revenge is living well' I've said this, in other words it means supposedly the best way to get back at someone is just by being happy and successful in your own life. Sounds nice, doesn't really work on that Charles Bronson. kinda level. You know what I mean, those movies where his whole family gets wiped out by some street scum. You think you could go up to him, 'Charlie forgot about the 357 what you need is a custom-made suit and a convertible. New carpeting, french doors, a divan. That'll show those punks.'

Personally I dont understand how you can support it. Wrongfull convinctions happen all the time and death can't be overturned. Even for that reason alone I don't understand how you can support it.

Furthermore, it's proven that doesn't stop peopee from doing crime, so basically the detterent effect is non-existent.

What are the pro aguments? How can you explain it to yourself supporting something that you know has such flaws?

Against. If there is no afterlife you ended their suffering. If there is, you get blood on your hands and you pay.

Make them suffer for as long as possible

Not only am I for it... I think it's an easy and relatively painless out. Which is unfortunate.

I also think it's all a matter of personal investment. The same people arguing against it ITT would be the first person ready to string someone up for raping and murdering their daughter. Anyone and everyone that's against it in this thread simply hasn't been hurt in the worst circumstances. And they can GTFO.

And you trust the government to decide who should live and who should die?

I don't.

I'm not saying I'd hand out the death penalty like candy, but there are many clear cut instances were its appropriate & I'd use it.

I prefer every prison to just be like the Russian prisons.

But as far as the death penalty is concerned, I'm more for it than against it. However the Steven Avery case does put me off the death penalty cause he's a framed man who would've most likely got the death penalty.

But I would only do it for certain instances, like if someone is just insane and a madman, no need for someone like this to live in our world. Or a serial killer, just get rid of them.

It saves people paying taxes on them, and it frees up prison space.

This is a tough one for me because of the one group of people I have zero mercy in my heart for. Those who harm children. I understand in
most cases of severe child abuse its a cause and effect thing which is the only reason I dont say instant death but dam I despise them. They ruin lives before theyve
had any chance to flourish and often the surviving victims then become the next generation of sadistic trainwreck. Its a horrible cycle and frankly I wouldnt lose any sleep over those types being put out of their misery and prevented from causing more.
Its a very scary thing to think about but its the one case where I would be completely in favor of mental reprogramming by way of technology thereby avoiding a death penalty which I otherwise disagree with. Sick fuck criminals as described at the very least need to be imprisoned for life. Their compulsions are too powerful and too often their halfway house is planted right by an elementary school. Wtf is that? Nobody wants that, compassion be damned.

Back