International "Death knell" for Hong Kong . China set to pass law that strips Hong Kong of liberties and freedoms

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
In 1984 the Brits and China agreed on China regaining control of Hong Kong in 1997 , which is when the British lease expired. The agreement was that China would not impose its mainland form of government on HK, and for 50 years after the handover in 1997 life in HK would remain the same.

Well first with the extradition law China was seeking to pass in summer of last year and now with this new law, China has trashed the agreement.

--

With the new law the CCP seeks to outlaw : treason, sedition, secession and subversion. The last one "subversion" can be used against anyone protesting the CCP.

Mike Pompeo / the US has condemned China for seeking to pass this law.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has condemned China's plan to impose a new security law in Hong Kong, calling it a "death knell" for the city's freedoms.

China is seeking to pass a law that would ban "treason, secession, sedition and subversion" in Hong Kong.

Critics say the law would strip Hong Kong of the rights it currently enjoys, that are not seen in mainland China.

Mr Pompeo said the decision to bypass Hong Kong's lawmakers ignores "the will of the people".

"The United States strongly urges Beijing to reconsider its disastrous proposal, abide by its international obligations, and respect Hong Kong's high degree of autonomy, democratic institutions, and civil liberties," Mr Pompeo said in a statement on Friday

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52771718

-

A national security law is coming to Hong Kong. Here's how it has been used to crush dissent in China

(CNN)Beijing's plan to introduce a hugely controversial national security law in Hong Kong has sparked widespread fears over its potential impact on the city's much cherished freedoms.

Residents of the semi-autonomous city only need to look across the border at mainland China to get a glimpse of how "national security" -- broadly and vaguely defined -- can be used as a convenient pretext for the political prosecution of dissidents, activists, human rights lawyers and journalists

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/asia/china-national-security-law-prosecution-intl-hnk/index.html

-

China Moves to Tighten Its Control of Hong Kong
New security laws would allow Beijing to take aim at the protests that have roiled the semiautonomous city and posed a direct challenge to the Communist Party and its leader, Xi Jinping.

BEIJING — China signaled on Thursday it would move forward with laws that would take aim at antigovernment protests and other dissent in Hong Kong. It is the clearest message yet that the Communist Party is moving to undermine the civil liberties the semiautonomous territory has known since the 1997 British handoff.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/world/asia/hong-kong-china.html

-

While everyone is busy with Wuhan virus , China has been exerting itself aggressively in the South China Sea, on the Indian-Chinese border, near contested Japanese islands and now stripping Hong Kong of freedoms they enjoyed that the mainland didn't.

I forsee a lot of Hong Kongers trying to move to the West. Global business will pullback from HK.

You knew it was coming. You can't really expect one of the most tightly controlled and repressive countries in the world, to allow one region to remain as some sort of a "free state" subjected to different rules.

Eventually all of China and much of the rest of Asia will be homogenized by them. There's just too much power, wealth, and ultimately, will, residing there. They'll be like the Germany of Europe, except their plans of conquest and homogenization will go uninterrupted.

You knew it was coming. You can't really expect one of the most tightly controlled and repressive countries in the world, to allow one region to remain as some sort of a "free state" subjected to different rules.

Eventually all of China and much of the rest of Asia will be homogenized by them. There's just too much power, wealth, and ultimately, will, residing there. They'll be like the Germany of Europe, except their plans of conquest and homogenization will go uninterrupted.

Some China related videos on YT I watched a few weeks ago stated: the West really believed China would change when their economy opens up and they interect with the global Western dominated financial system and were allowed access to Western tech and investment. One American who was closely involved in getting China into the WTO said China has reneged on their end of the agreement, namely that getting into the WTO and receiving Most Favored Nation status fromt he US was conditional on free and fair trade from China and liberalizing , instead we got massive I.P. theft and Chinese hegemonic imposition. He - and others in the Western elite- didn't believe China would turn out the way it has when they supported China in the 70s , 80s and 90s. The gist of the YT video was that Western elites assumed China would liberalize, open up and leave behind its authoritarian ways.

Some China related videos on YT I watched a few weeks ago stated: the West really believed China would change when their economy opens up and they interect with the global Western dominated financial system and were allowed access to Western tech and investment. One American who was closely involved in getting China into the WTO said China has reneged on their end of the agreement, namely that getting into the WTO and receiving Most Favored Nation status fromt he US was conditional on free and fair trade from China and liberalizing , instead we got massive I.P. theft and Chinese hegemonic imposition. He - and others in the Western elite- didn't believe China would turn the way it has when they supported China in the 70s , 80s and 90s. The gist of the YT video was that Western elites assumed China would liberalize, open up and leave behind its authoritarian ways.

They believed the same thing when Ford and a couple of others made some deals with Stalin to prop up their industry.

Stalin opened up the books temporarily to allow U.S. industrialists in, to build the foundations, and then shut it down and kicked them the hell out when he no longer needed them. China is probably bound to do the same.

Western free-market liberals are pretty fucking stupid at the end of the day, clinging onto the dogma of their economic theories. Cultural and social differences exist, you can't expect everybody to make the same decisions just because they've now got the same amount of money in their pockets. History, ideology, government structure, etc. will greatly impact the resulting developments. In Europe we would not have, for example, seen anywhere near the same developments if the Battle of Stalingrad had gone the other way.

I like to call them "buffoons" because that's basically what they are. Just blind to a lot of shit that they didn't read in the "Wealth of Nations". They expect everyone to follow the same path, but in reality there are a multitude of paths to choose from, even with the economic conditions being equal, and China has certainly chosen one that is greatly different from the one that the "West" has taken.

Last edited:
China is good. China is our friend. Don’t put blame on China. - CNN

Area wise, HK is bigger than Singapore. Trump should swing for the fences and call our consulate in Hong Kong an embassy and say we recognize Hong Kong's independence, even though Hong Kong hasn't asked for independence.

I'm shocked! Shocked, I say, that it took so long. A buddy of mine was born there and his family immigrated just before the hand over. He visits Asia twice a year but won't go to Chinese occupied lands.

With the new law the CCP seeks to outlaw : treason, sedition, secession and subversion.

Oh no!! outlawing treason, sedition, secession, and subversion? It's one step closer to being like that country with the highest incarceration rates and worst human rights record in the world!

Area wise, HK is bigger than Singapore. Trump should swing for the fences and call our consulate in Hong Kong an embassy and say we recognize Hong Kong's independence, even though Hong Kong hasn't asked for independence.

no america should keep its nose out of this one, its apart of china.

Trudeau says Canada concerned about China’s proposed new law for Hong Kong
https://globalnews.ca/news/6973782/trudeau-canada-hong-kong/

Says the actor that OIC'd (with a minority government) the largest gun grab in history. He praised the Chinese regime for its dictatorship because it allows them to do whatever they want. Canada has been infiltrated by the Chinese communist regime at all levels and is now susceptible to hostile take over of its natural resources.

I'd like to see the US annex parts (or all) of Canada rather than see it fall into the hands of the communist party of China. If not maybe help start a civil war? I know China wouldn't want there to be a Canadian civil war.

Oh no!! outlawing treason, sedition, secession, and subversion? It's one step closer to being like that country with the highest incarceration rates and worst human rights record in the world!

The enemy likes to label fighting for freedom as terrorism.

I read up on that law. They're going to let Chinese cops operate in Hong Kong on matters related to national security. Here is the kicker. CCP decides what is related to national security.

Hope I don't get arrested next time I travel to Hong Kong after all the shit talk I made against CCP on here.
A single political party gets to decide arbitrarily what is treason, sedition, secession and subversion? If someone thinks China's political system should be reformed, does that make them a seditionist? Where are the checks and balances against abuse of power?

Last edited:
You really think the US is even remotely comparable to China? We can say whatever we want against Trump and the US government, and won't be imprisoned for it; try doing that in China.

no america should keep its nose out of this one, its apart of china.
The US government is threatening to revoke special favorable trade agreements made with Hong Kong if the CCP goes ahead with this law.

HK lost some of its financial clout and influence as Shenzen and Shanghai rose in prominence, but HK is still a financial hub with the HK stock exchange being the 3rd largest stock exchange in Asia. China is shooting off its own foot by clamping down on HK.

Trudeau says Canada concerned about China’s proposed new law for Hong Kong
https://globalnews.ca/news/6973782/trudeau-canada-hong-kong/

Says the actor that OIC'd (with a minority government) the largest gun grab in history. He praised the Chinese regime for its dictatorship because it allows them to do whatever they want. Canada has been infiltrated by the Chinese communist regime at all levels and is now susceptible to hostile take over of its natural resources.

I'd like to see the US annex parts (or all) of Canada rather than see it fall into the hands of the communist party of China. If not maybe help start a civil war? I know China wouldn't want there to be a Canadian civil war.

The more liberal a country becomes, the more susceptible to a hostile takeover it is. Japan 200 years ago was impossible to influence, culturally or politically, because it was a completely closed off society. The same with the Soviet Union. If you landed on Japanese shores 200 years ago, you'd immediately be met by armed guards and told to leave. If you stayed, you'd be killed. If you tried entering Soviet territory, you'd be immediately intercepted. During the Cold War, Time magazine would often have articles about the Soviet Union, which were an attempt to influence Soviet citizens to rise up. The chances of a single Soviet citizen ever seeing one of those magazines was virtually non-existent. If you were caught with something like that on you, you'd likely spend the next 10 years in a Soviet prison, and well, good luck with that. The people knew better.

I wonder how much Chinese influence there is in Japanese politics? If the US ever closes its bases there, it likely won't be long until China takes over.

The US government is threatening to revoke special favorable trade agreements made with Hong Kong if the CCP goes ahead with this law.

HK lost some of its financial clout and influence as Shenzen and Shanghai rose in prominence, but HK is still a financial hub with the HK stock exchange being the 3rd largest stock exchange in Asia. China is shooting off its own foot by clamping down on HK.
I think it's a calculated move. They pretty much had it with months of civil unrest in Hong Kong, and they see it as a foreign orchestrated insurrection. Previously Beijing kept its hands off because US would have imposed sanctions and restrictions on China if they made drastic moves to assert control. They didn't want to antagonize the US too much. With the current trade war and US plans to choke Chinese high tech industry, Beijing sees no further point in holding back.

It was only a question of when Beijing did this. Obviously not good for HK but if it accelerates a shift in US policy toward treating China like the Cold War enemy the are then it is good for the US.

If you didn’t see this coming you were stupid.

Simple solution when China does this any western nation taxes the shit out of any thing coming out or going into China.

Don’t see that happening especially if the Democrats take the White House.

I’m not sure if Trump would do it but at least with him there is some hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back