Death and Social Media

We're transforming into a generation of attention-whores.

This is what happens when you give humanity too much liberty and convenience.

Take away running water, make people spend 3 hours a day walking to the lake, and they won't be spending so much time on social media anymore.

Sorry about your cousin, though.

lol

I unfollowed everyone like CHL and Blocked some but gave them warning first so not to hurt feelings.

3 things that got people block on FB from me were.

No more than 3 post per day
No Tagging me in pics were I am not in it
No Religious or Political post

So yeah more than half got blocked.But i hardly post status shit on FB(like 1 or 2 a wk) and wouldn't be surprised if people unfollowed me.

I use Facebook all the time, it's clearly by far the best social media site out there, but some people have 500, 600, 700 friends on there which is insane.
Nobody has more than 100 friends. Nobody has more than 100 people who they communicate with on a regular basis.

I just use it to upload pictures and vent my views on whatever is on my mind or share things I think are interesting. I don't mind adding people I don't even know as long as they are interesting and don't constantly post shit.

https://www.facebook.com/MattMaher316

I don't see an issue with it at all. They lost someone and are sharing it with other people across the internet. I think it's great that we've created a way for people to connect so easily in some form at least. Not the most ideal form but at least it's something.

Yes some people do use this to be attention whores but what can you do there's always someone trying to ruin it for everyone else.

I use Facebook all the time, it's clearly by far the best social media site out there, but some people have 500, 600, 700 friends on there which is insane.
Nobody has more than 100 friends. Nobody has more than 100 people who they communicate with on a regular basis.

I just use it to upload pictures and vent my views on whatever is on my mind or share things I think are interesting. I don't mind adding people I don't even know as long as they are interesting and don't constantly post shit.

https://www.facebook.com/MattMaher316

I found Instatagram to be more a better social place when it comes to finding "New Friends", cause it matches you with people that share the same common intrests and that gives you something to talk about right away, instead of finding people though other's FB friends.

super weird. how dare they project their thoughts and feelings on social media over a death in the family?

I get why its weird. You're at the funeral home working things out for a dead family member and feel a need to share it on facebook or whatever?

Its inappropriate.

I sort of get what you mean.

When someone dies it becomes almost a competition on Facebook of 'who knew them best' or 'who cared the most'.
It's pretty fucked up really.

Very true.

I unfollowed everyone like CHL and Blocked some but gave them warning first so not to hurt feelings.

3 things that got people block on FB from me were.

No more than 3 post per day
No Tagging me in pics were I am not in it
No Religious or Political post

So yeah more than half got blocked.But i hardly post status shit on FB(like 1 or 2 a wk) and wouldn't be surprised if people unfollowed me.

this is what was the last straw for me - that and the constant racial and LGTB posts - if i want that and relgious/politicial information, i'll so somewhere else to find it

I don't have Facebook, but I don't really see what's so weird about this honestly. The guy got murdered, this is a really big deal to them. When my cousin died suddenly in a car crash I understand that they made some kind of a Facebook page for people to go on and express remorse, give condolences, share memories etc.

This is how people communicate these days, so obviously they're gonna comment on something as shocking and heartbreaking as a family member or friend getting murdered.

I deleted Facebook about 2 years ago. This was one of the reasons. I haven't missed it one bit.

So my cousin was murdered just this past week and I found out through FB which wasn't really a surprise but since this happened every 30 minutes there have non stop posts from his cousins, aunts, and immediate family posting pictures and blasting stuff like

"How Am I suppose to go on!??!"

"I miss him already!!"

"Hardest thing ever!" - While checking into a mortuary

I don't know why but that last one really irked me. I get that they're depressed but I just don't know why people share this type of shit on social media. Makes me kind of angry and I don't know if I should be angry cause their son/brother/nephew died. Anyone else find this weird?

I'm with you sometimes it really makes me angry

But I'm not sure if or why I should be angry about it

I see where you're coming from TS. It's kind of an attention whorey thing to do.

Back