Dealing with your favourite fighters facing each other

zacholistic

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi

With the Gus/Rumble fight coming up, I just wanted to hear how you fellow Sherdoggers deal with the situation when two of your absolute favourites are competing. My tactic is most of the time to force myself to pick at slight favourite (experience tells me that you get better entertainment from a fight if you're backing one of them - so for me the whole idea of "I will cheer for both of them and just hope for at great fight" is just not the same) and then bet a small amount of money on the other fighter. This way i'll earn some money if my fav looses:) thus making the loss more bearable. This can also be generalized to any fight with one of your favs competing -> bet on the outcome you do not want to happen regardless of odds etc.

So this weekend i'll be betting on Rumble and cheering for Gus!

What do you do?

Cain, Barnett, JDS
Gus, Cormier,
Sonnen, Machida, Silva, Bisping, Jacare, Barnatt
GSP, Condit, Amagov, Stun Gun, Rory
Khabib, Gil, Pettis, Rustam
Aldo, Edgar, KZ
Barao, Faber
Dodson, Bena

Rumble isn't in your sig. LIES!

You feel hyped since you're more invested. My thoughts anywho. Hunt vs Nelson, for example in my regards to fighters. It just amped up the anticipation and had me glued that little bit more.

Cain, Barnett, JDS
Gus, Cormier,
Sonnen, Machida, Silva, Bisping, Jacare, Barnatt
GSP, Condit, Amagov, Stun Gun, Rory
Khabib, Gil, Pettis, Rustam
Aldo, Edgar, KZ
Barao, Faber
Dodson, Bena

Rumble isn't in your sig. LIES!

Haven't updated that for over a year :D did it now, all for you mr detective;)

Haven't had that feeling forever.

Only time I ever felt completely torn was when Sakuraba fought Royce in 2000.
Royce inspired me to train BJJ, but I just loved watching Saku fight and thought he was the real prodigy of MMA.
It wasn't an exciting fight the whole way through, but I was absolutely spellbound by it anyway.

Haven't updated that for over a year :D did it now, all for you mr detective;)

Hahah. :)

To answer your original post I agree, it's tough. I haven't found a good way to deal with the anguish of watching one of them lose. I usually mask it with alcohol and deal with the repercussions the next day.

Haven't had that feeling forever.

Only time I ever felt completely torn was when Sakuraba fought Royce in 2000.
Royce inspired me to train BJJ, but I just loved watching Saku fight and thought he was the real prodigy of MMA.
It wasn't an exciting fight the whole way through, but I was absolutely spellbound by it anyway.

[YT]KNd6-rQcyg0[/YT]

Anderson and Nick have been two of my favorite fighters since forever
Not really sure who Im gonna root for next week
I figure emotion will just take over on fight day and let me know who Im rooting for

I just ask myself who I would rather bang if I was gay.

Hahah. :)

To answer your original post I agree, it's tough. I haven't found a good way to deal with the anguish of watching one of them lose. I usually mask it with alcohol and deal with the repercussions the next day.

Well, that's how some of us deals with every tough decision in life:icon_chee

I fap. Whoever I still have a boner to after fapping, gets my support.

I just get stoked for the fight but I don't get too bummed out if it falls through i.e. Thiago Silva/Rampage at the time. The only one I was disappointed in falling through was Aldo vs Pettis. Love watching both of them but goddamn that would be one hell of a fight!

Last edited:
I'm a grown man, that's how I deal with it.

Me too!!!

Except I do that thing where I cover my face with hands and then separate two of my fingers so I can peak through them :redface:

Your avatar says otherwise

Shots fired!

@TS it's never been a big deal to me when two fighters i like meet up in the ring. With this fight i figure whichever fighter wins is likely the one better suited to Beat jones.

Im Rooting for rumble but honestly i feel this fight is a test to see whether he can handle the reach and height of these guys. If he doesnt KO gus i dont se him beating jones at all decision or otherwise.

I love it

Wand vs Liddell
Shogun vs Hendo
JDS vs Hunt

Those were all good fights to watch and not hard to swallow.

Back