Dealing with toxic mentally ill friends

I don't know. I've had friends with addictions or untreated mental illness and I guess they're really not themselves, or I hate to say but hardly even people -- it's like they're part demon where part of their soul used to be, while in the grip of it. Like it's hard to even carry on a conversation. But it's gotta be different case by case.

This seems to be the way it goes. The longer a person is in the grip of addiction the more dehumanised they became. They seem to see other people as nothing more than a means of gaining money anyway they can to continue feeding their habit. When I go into Glasgow city centre the junkies I see there are some of the most evil looking twisted souls I have ever seen, they just reek of bad intentions and its not a stretch to say they would literally sell their own grannies.

I can't have people with mental illness/drug issues in my life. I've tried and I just can't do it, never again. I'm sorry for your issues but they're not mine, and I don't need to be dragged down with you. The only exeption I'll make is for family.

While I don't know if this is of any help, my parents always told me that "Your only as good as the company that you keep". If you surround yourself by dysfunction, it should come as no suprise when your life is characterized by dysfunction. With that being said, loyalty is an increasingly scarce quality these days, and I would like to think that true friends are there for each other through thick and thin.

At a certain point though, you have to do what is healthiest for you.

Well to start this off one of my best friends I’ve known since I was basically born ended up killing himself due to mental illness induced by drugs.

This has caused my other friend who is both an alcoholic and has severe addictions to spiral and become a real asshole. He’s also schizoaffective meaning he’s both schizophrenic and sometimes not in control of his emotions (bipolar).

His drug abuse and mental illness has literally left the dude with an iq < 90 and when it comes to logic and basic decision making sometimes I feel like he’s literally retarded or a child.
I’d hate for him to kill himself too because I’ve known him since I was a kid but the guy fucking pisses me off to no end and I want nothing to do with him. I’m one of his only friends left that he can talk to or hang out with.

I’m a pretty selfish guy with my own goals and life and I just don’t want to see the guy anymore but he’s like a retarded child in a lot of pain and I would feel really guilty if this dude killed himself and I wasn’t there for him.

Would you guys just block him or what cuz he’s seriously not worth the worry and stress anymore. I don’t feel like I deserve to be burdened by this asshole man child. Feel real bad for his mom though

Edit: For those calling me a bad friend or whatever it’s just not true. He’s an idiot but I’ve saved him from getting his ass kicked or ko’d > 4 times in the past couple years. All fights that he started. I could have stepped back and watched him reap what he sowed but I saved his ass. I’ve stayed up all night listening to him cry or talk about his problems. He even tried to fight me a couple times but all I did was hold his drunk ass down and throw elbows to his body and arms. (And a hard crossface) He’s upkicked me and everything yet I didn’t hit him in the face once. I could have ended his life or at least gave him some damage but I just held him down and beat his body till he got tired. When he was in the psyche ward for a month, I was one of two people who visited him. I probably visited him > 5 times while the other guy saw him once. Ive only ever slapped the guy once and it was a knee jerk reaction because i was driving and he yanked my steering wheel all the way to the right and i almost hit the curb and ran into a house. Now that I think about it, that was the most effective ive ever been at settling him down. Hes like an animal that needs the fear of violence to respect you.

You aren’t getting the whole story when I talk shit about him like this
Unfortunately sometime you have to just cut people off and whatever happens happens. Sounds cold blooded but people overestimate in general their ability to help people like that. They have to change them selves.

Yeah I guess very limited interaction is better than nothing. It’s hard to find a balance between ignoring a guys phone calls and not though
Time management is a crucial component to life, because you only have so much energy to give and it diminishes each day.

In spite of the burden of obligation, we can draw strength in the CHOOSING, rather than having our options chosen for us (whether by circumstance or a shared past history). Anthony Anderson has a joke about shitting himself in the car: he knew there was no stopping it, so he CHOSE to let out a little bit at a time on his way home through the winding streets of Diarrheaville, USA, to help stave off the inevitable onslaught for as long as humanly possible. Pretty funny but the principle is sound: when faced with an unpleasant decision, how much can you control?

Energy vampires are real.

If you consider the notion that, well, nothing is actually wrong with your friend -- then you might come to understand that this is just the way he is, and always will be. As such there is nothing to fix, but rather he is a friend who is very high maintenance. He just needs attention/feedback -- constantly. (You don't have to provide it.)

Suicide Call Centers deal with energy vampires ALL THE TIME. There are policies in place limiting operator interaction with these people. They go on a list, and they will know they're on this list without a hint of stigma. Thus, both operator and caller will talk to each other fully cognizant of two facts: 1) this call can only last [XYZ] minutes per [ABC] duration and 2) whatever is discussed will have no resolution and that the talk ITSELF is the best we can hope for.

^^All this is just the part that applies to your involvement with your friend. There's a whole separate component: you. Here's where I asked you to talk more about your guilt, because that's a motive you can control. Your friend isn't the one making you feel guilty -- you are. Figuring out why you feel guilty will make it easier for you to choose your best course of action. Maybe there's nothing to be done except assuage the guilt.

Remember: nothing is absolute. There is no permanent fix. It was never a possibility that you held the knowledge to solve your friend's problems in any lasting way. Problems will always arise, and friends will always seek support. Don't rush to make any permanent decisions where you have to close the door on anything. You don't want to throw your energy away on garbage thoughts, which are the thoughts that can seek no catharsis, that have no contingency for resolution.

Avoid self-defeatism. Good luck and don't forget to hydrate.

Sounds like your friend cares a lot about you and you couldnt care less about him because he doesnt provide any "use" or benefit to you currently. He wants to stay in your life and here you are sneak dissing him online calling him every name in the book.

That's some sad shit. Not saying your wrong but man..

You actually remind me a LOT of one of my own long time personal friends. I care about this dude, I've known him since we were in diapers, but I also feel like hes a cold self centered fucking prick. I've known him to completely cut ties with mutual friends that he's known for YEARS just because "I'm tired of them and dont need them. so I'm just going to block them and they will get the hint" and this is close close friends, not people hes only met a few times or old coworkers and shit. Close friends he will just cut off completely forever because they mildly annoyed him one time.

I have a feeling hes going to end up 50 years old one day with absolutely zero friends because hes alienated every single one hes ever had, me included. He thinks of friends as replaceable commodities that need to provided immediately value to him, some way to get him farther. Not as real people with emotional connections. He also talks mad shit about every single one of our other friends to me because he knows I'm loyal enough to not snitch. I'm sure he talks shit about me too when I'm not around.

Last edited:
People like that will suck every ounce of living daylight out of you, ts. Please don't let them.

You're not the second coming of christ or something, why do you even entertain the notion that you are somehow responsible for another - grown - man's life choices or that you can save someone hellbent on self-destruction? It's not your responsibility.

You should attend to your own life - while you've still got one! - and not waste anymore of your time on lost cases. You've already been reasonable and loyal etc. you don't need to prove it.

Best of luck.

I would cut him out of your life. Sounds like it's only guilt that would keep you around and if he were reasonable he'd not want that.

Oh yeah...do you habitually play a saviour role/hero type in relationships?

If so, you might want to look at that sometime; The discrepancy between Why you set such high standards for yourself, yet accept such low standards from others.

Sounds like your friend cares a lot about you and you couldnt care less about him because he doesnt provide any "use" or benefit to you currently. He wants to stay in your life and here you are sneak dissing him online calling him every name in the book.

That's some sad shit. Not saying your wrong but man..

You actually remind me a LOT of one of my own long time personal friends. I care about this dude, I've known him since we were in diapers, but I also feel like hes a cold self centered fucking prick. I've known him to completely cut ties with mutual friends that he's known for YEARS just because "I'm tired of them and dont need them. so I'm just going to block them and they will get the hint" and this is close close friends, not people hes only met a few times or old coworkers and shit. Close friends he will just cut off completely forever because they mildly annoyed him one time.

I have a feeling hes going to end up 50 years old one day with absolutely zero friends because hes alienated every single one hes ever had, me included. He thinks of friends as replaceable commodities that need to provided immediately value to him, some way to get him farther. Not as real people with emotional connections. He also talks mad shit about every single one of our other friends to me because he knows I'm loyal enough to not snitch. I'm sure he talks shit about me too when I'm not around.
Idk. Let’s say I have a group of 5 friends. And every single friend hates him and doesn’t talk to him because he’s alienated himself. And I feel like leaving him too. This is somehow my fault and not his? I’m one of his last friends. I Am still friends with many old and new buddies.

cut him off, you remind me too much of younger me

got a guy coming out of prison, says he wants to go stealing and drug dealing and to live with me

im like fuuuuk that, go fuck yourself

another one who always got us into fights, i beat him up once and turned his face black

realized i have to get out of this bullshit (he kinda grew up though our realtionship is still cold and we dont hang out anymore really)

and another one who was a drug dealer and got me into shit

once again fuuuuuuuk that

by the way ts found your life summarised in a picture (you being scrooge mcduck in the middle)

PfY9e05.jpg

Time management is a crucial component to life, because you only have so much energy to give and it diminishes each day.

In spite of the burden of obligation, we can draw strength in the CHOOSING, rather than having our options chosen for us (whether by circumstance or a shared past history). Anthony Anderson has a joke about shitting himself in the car: he knew there was no stopping it, so he CHOSE to let out a little bit at a time on his way home through the winding streets of Diarrheaville, USA, to help stave off the inevitable onslaught for as long as humanly possible. Pretty funny but the principle is sound: when faced with an unpleasant decision, how much can you control?

Energy vampires are real.

If you consider the notion that, well, nothing is actually wrong with your friend -- then you might come to understand that this is just the way he is, and always will be. As such there is nothing to fix, but rather he is a friend who is very high maintenance. He just needs attention/feedback -- constantly. (You don't have to provide it.)

Suicide Call Centers deal with energy vampires ALL THE TIME. There are policies in place limiting operator interaction with these people. They go on a list, and they will know they're on this list without a hint of stigma. Thus, both operator and caller will talk to each other fully cognizant of two facts: 1) this call can only last [XYZ] minutes per [ABC] duration and 2) whatever is discussed will have no resolution and that the talk ITSELF is the best we can hope for.

^^All this is just the part that applies to your involvement with your friend. There's a whole separate component: you. Here's where I asked you to talk more about your guilt, because that's a motive you can control. Your friend isn't the one making you feel guilty -- you are. Figuring out why you feel guilty will make it easier for you to choose your best course of action. Maybe there's nothing to be done except assuage the guilt.

Remember: nothing is absolute. There is no permanent fix. It was never a possibility that you held the knowledge to solve your friend's problems in any lasting way. Problems will always arise, and friends will always seek support. Don't rush to make any permanent decisions where you have to close the door on anything. You don't want to throw your energy away on garbage thoughts, which are the thoughts that can seek no catharsis, that have no contingency for resolution.

Avoid self-defeatism. Good luck and don't forget to hydrate.
Thanks. Probably the most compromised and reasonable answer. It just sucks watching someone you knew for so long destroy themselves. Every self-destructive habit I see him do gets on my nerves to the point I almost have to comment on it. Its so negative sometimes I hate it. It’s kind of like how your patience with someone is automatically super thin just because everything he does is wrong and it annoys you.

@biscuitsbrah dump him. Think about how it feels when you see someone’s name pop up on your phone with a call. If they call you and you aren’t excited to talk to them, delete them from your life.

I can only attest to being involved with a Bi Polar person is not advised unless you have no choice. Any chemical imbalance from drug pegs, alcohol, high sugar, can set them off even worse. I dated one once. The push was so great I hung in there for a year. She is on her 3rd husband now.

Well to start this off one of my best friends I’ve known since I was basically born ended up killing himself due to mental illness induced by drugs.

This has caused my other friend who is both an alcoholic and has severe addictions to spiral and become a real asshole. He’s also schizoaffective meaning he’s both schizophrenic and sometimes not in control of his emotions (bipolar).

His drug abuse and mental illness has literally left the dude with an iq < 90 and when it comes to logic and basic decision making sometimes I feel like he’s literally retarded or a child.
I’d hate for him to kill himself too because I’ve known him since I was a kid but the guy fucking pisses me off to no end and I want nothing to do with him. I’m one of his only friends left that he can talk to or hang out with.

I’m a pretty selfish guy with my own goals and life and I just don’t want to see the guy anymore but he’s like a retarded child in a lot of pain and I would feel really guilty if this dude killed himself and I wasn’t there for him.

Would you guys just block him or what cuz he’s seriously not worth the worry and stress anymore. I don’t feel like I deserve to be burdened by this asshole man child. Feel real bad for his mom though

Edit: For those calling me a bad friend or whatever it’s just not true. He’s an idiot but I’ve saved him from getting his ass kicked or ko’d > 4 times in the past couple years. All fights that he started. I could have stepped back and watched him reap what he sowed but I saved his ass. I’ve stayed up all night listening to him cry or talk about his problems. He even tried to fight me a couple times but all I did was hold his drunk ass down and throw elbows to his body and arms. (And a hard crossface) He’s upkicked me and everything yet I didn’t hit him in the face once. I could have ended his life or at least gave him some damage but I just held him down and beat his body till he got tired. When he was in the psyche ward for a month, I was one of two people who visited him. I probably visited him > 5 times while the other guy saw him once. Ive only ever slapped the guy once and it was a knee jerk reaction because i was driving and he yanked my steering wheel all the way to the right and i almost hit the curb and ran into a house. Now that I think about it, that was the most effective ive ever been at settling him down. Hes like an animal that needs the fear of violence to respect you.

You aren’t getting the whole story when I talk shit about him like this

He has to make an effort to get clean. All you can is support him through rehab and counseling. Don’t give up on him.

It just sucks watching someone you knew for so long destroy themselves. Every self-destructive habit I see him do gets on my nerves to the point I almost have to comment on it. Its so negative sometimes I hate it. It’s kind of like how your patience with someone is automatically super thin just because everything he does is wrong and it annoys you.
Feelings are a great thing; they let you know you're alive. Better to feel than be numb. It's just that feelings are not EVERYTHING. Embrace your feelings. Do not lose to them.

You're still in charge of that department.

Think about how it feels when you see someone’s name pop up on your phone with a call. If they call you and you aren’t excited to talk to them, delete them from your life.
The all-star move here is to start the phone call with, "Real quick my phone's about to die but go ahead."

Instead of focusing on the negative aspects, which are blatant, obvious and seemingly impossible to ignore, I suppose, you should probably rather try think of any potential positives.

What good has this friend ever done to you? Does he possess some sort of redeeming qualities that keep you from abandoning him? Is the relationship sustained by more than just feelings of guilt?

I had this sort of a "talk" with a guy I know, who got in some trouble with "old friends" (a.k.a pieces of shit). At the end of the conversation he could not recall one single instance when these people did anything good to him, anything friendly to him, always just took something away from him, and tried to use him as much as they could. He cut those people off and life has been a lot better after that for the guy.

Myself, I have very little patience with people outside of my immediate family. But if you're more of a social animal then I suppose you might want to give yourself more of a chance to maintain the relationships that you have, just not at the cost of your own well-being. Do not sacrifice your sanity in order to empathize with the insane, that's only going to lead to a worse path for the both of you.

If you legit start feeling like you want to hurt this person, make him pay for what he has done to you, that's when you definitely need to walk away, because then you're no longer friends, but enemies.

Last edited:
I am about 35 and I have come to the conclusion its best to cut these people off. I've recently had to do this to a few friends and family. As well I've also deleted a giant chunk of people on social media.

Its going to hurt some feelings but at the end of day what the fuck am I doing associating with people I don't enjoy being around.

Back