1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Dealing with Pre-fight nerves?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by WestCoastTKO, Aug 19, 2010.

1. WestCoastTKO

WestCoastTKO White Belt

I will be competing in a Modified MMA fight, ( no knees elbows, head gear and such) and I have done very well at regional tournaments going 4-0. in doing so I have qualified for the World Martial Art Games in Las Vegas. to prepare I have trained with amateur and pro fighters much heavier, better and faster than myself and am definitely seeing improvement. my question is in regional competition I have had problems pulling the trigger and being as aggressive as I know I can be, as well as being a bundle of nerves. any help would be great. ...

P.S experience: 6 years kickboxing, 2 years Wrestling ranked 4th provincially and 3 months of jiujitsu.

2. Ayin

Ayin Black Belt

Perhaps you should consider looking into Sports Psychology?

The majority of it is very obvious once you read it, but because it is so obvious, many people either disregard it, or don't think about it to start with. Things like visualization and positive thinking have a real effect on how you perform.

3. Toxteth

Toxteth Blue Belt

The whole thing Diego Sanchez does isn't just him trying to seem like a nut job. The 'Yes' chant is a psychological technique designed to help with self belief. Maybe don't do it like Sanchez, but just being really positive and confident in yourself and saying yes to yourself will actually help. Positive thinking son!

4. Matt Hilton

Matt Hilton Amateur Fighter

Sounds like you have a solid kickboxing base. The wrestling sounds decent as well. Is being ranked provincially like being ranked for your State?

5. WestCoastTKO

WestCoastTKO White Belt

I get the visualization thing, as they preach it to me being a hockey goalie, but my question is the feeling your chest when you realise you have one chance to beat this guy and you go out there and you feel snake bitten not attacking like I know I can.

6. Craftster

Craftster Yellow Belt

As experice grows, nerves shrink.

7. absolutmmavic

absolutmmavic White Belt

I haven't had a fight where I didn't feel nervous before and I haven't met a fighter who didn't say they were a little nervous before a fight. Yea the more fights you have you'll be less and less nervous before a fight. But, know that you did everything you could to prepare for the fight and have positive thinking before. Oh and trust me, ALL nerves go to hell as soon as the bell rings...

8. BWALKER

BWALKER Purple Belt

A Bunker under the steel and mortar of a nondescri
    lol...i deleted what I wrote cause I misunderstood what you were asking for.

Ok, NERVES.

There are 2 types of people in the world, those who struggle with NERVES and those who don't. You, me and Mike Tyson are in the first group. :)

So, understanding this, and not fighting it, can go along way. Using Tyson as the model, he would remember the tale of the Hero and the Coward his trainer told him about.

"Everyone feels the same way, but it's what the Hero does and the Coward doesn't which sets them apart." (readers digest version there)

There are just no easy answers to this dilemma. I always reacted with a high level of aggression in wrestling/fighting because of my nerves. You seem to pace yourself as a result perhaps. I guess if I could suggest one thing, find one time during the fight to go for a finish type of activity, when it is a safe time to do it. It may not work, but you try in a conservative way just to push yourself a little bit.

Like perhaps, you have him "against the ropes/cage"....get settled a bit, then pick a time to open up for a real nice combo. Perhaps ...lead hand up high to protect head, and open with right hook to body, right uppercut, left to head, clinch head, few knees to head. STOP and survey.

That's just a loose example. The philosophy is to promise yourself you will pick one chance to open up with a nice combo during the fight. Of course, if you are a cardio nut and find yourself usually in much better cardio shape, the time would be when he is more tired.

Let us know how you do. Best of luck to ye.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. BWALKER

BWALKER Purple Belt

A Bunker under the steel and mortar of a nondescri
    One more thing on the psych game.

In lower level MMA/Boxing, usually the guy who comes out fast and strong and aggressive, in a smart way, is the guy who wins. Reason is, most people are scared in there, and when you open up fast, they lose it mentally, they break.

So, you actually increase your chances of winning by starting fast and hard.

When you move up the food chain, the better fighters don't break as easy, but lower level fights do. They want to start slow, feel things out before they go for it. By you taking the initiative, they don't get that feeling out process so you have a the upper hand from the git go. Since fighting is 70% mental, win that game on purpose. :)

10. WALKERmma

WALKERmma Yellow Belt

Every fighter gets nervous and if they say they they dont there proberbly lieing but most nerves are different i love fighting for example so nerves just add to the excitment and make me wana kill someone
    dont get confused nerves are good for fights they make you more aware and most of the time more exited and agressive just concentrate on your game plan and belive in your training

good luck

11. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

Just watch 300 before you fight.

/thread

RR010V likes this.
  12. antfarm612

antfarm612 White Belt

This is 100% true. I was just at the Ringside boxing tournament, my first opponent was cocky as fuck, but in the first 30 seconds I lit him up with a flurry of punches, with some body-shots mixed in. He was very hesitant the rest of the fight, which made it easy to pick my spots.

13. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

It's 90% half mental.

14. p4pbest

p4pbest Yellow Belt

everyones different bro. good luck anyway

15. unregisturd

unregisturd The human grappling dummy

I think you should try some breathing exercises and focus only on your breathing before your match. Control your "Chi" or "Ki" etc.

If that approach doesn't suit you or seems too "spiritual","cerebral" or "gay" then perhaps try ride your nerves out and psych yourself like a wild man!

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck