Dealing with noobs

I like rolling with strong, spastic newbs occasionally. It is probably the most realistic training you can get for a street fight.

if you want elite classes, request privates or talk to your instructor about having elite classes, until then, jiu jitsu will continue being all inclusive. when you pay your gym dues, you pay for the use of all of the classes even if you don't go to them, so those noobs paid just as much as you to be there

another way to look at it is, you don't have to train with them, you GET to train with them. as a noob myself, i remember the guys that help me grow, and probably always will. you are going to be part of their progression.

I've had more than one person at my gym tell me "I want to make you better, so you help me get better." Or something to that effect.

Why cant you just continue to train with the same guys you have been and just do your thing like normal, with a few extra new guys in the class? If it is because of the starting/stopping to teach and the level of the technique, then that is on your instructor. with 12 guys in a class, you good coach should be able to scale and escalate things so that both black belts and white belts get a quality practice, especially when blacks go with blacks and whites go with whites.

I think a large part of the changed dynamic is that several of the new guys are coworkers/superiors of this particular instructor, so he feels like he needs to pay special attention to them.

if you want elite classes, request privates or talk to your instructor about having elite classes, until then, jiu jitsu will continue being all inclusive.

I am far from "elite" lol. I'm still a white belt, albeit one with 2+ years of training. Most of the assistant instructors/advanced belts tell me I'm long overdue for blue, my head instructor has green lighted me for the advanced classes, and I've been competing up a division at the blue belt level for the last six months. However, my head instructor is notorious for being very slow and forgetful about promotions. So do with that what you will.

However, my head instructor is notorious for being very slow and forgetful about promotions. So do with that what you will.

Clearly you should buy yourself a blue belt, hand it to your instructor, and be like "I think you forgot to give me this 6 months ago." :D

But really, training with "noobs" is normally the high of my nights training. I may not get a competitive roll in, but I'll be able to better understand positions and moves more thoroughly because I'm able then to think while rolling whereas when rolling with higher belts, I'm not allowed that luxury of thinking and have to flow with the go. On the other, it all depends on the training session and some need to be for the more advanced players rather than the fresh on the mat noob who'll try a kimura in your guard. (I'm sure we all tried this before and got our back taken -.-)

Clearly you should buy yourself a blue belt, hand it to your instructor, and be like "I think you forgot to give me this 6 months ago." :D

But really, training with "noobs" is normally the high of my nights training. I may not get a competitive roll in, but I'll be able to better understand positions and moves more thoroughly because I'm able then to think while rolling whereas when rolling with higher belts, I'm not allowed that luxury of thinking and have to flow with the go. On the other, it all depends on the training session and some need to be for the more advanced players rather than the fresh on the mat noob who'll try a kimura in your guard. (I'm sure we all tried this before and got our back taken -.-)

Haha! I was going to do that, but thought I might present him with a large bowl of coleslaw first to soften him up a bit lol. He does often bust my balls about being the only white belt in the advanced class, so it's become a bit of a running joke. The purples keep telling me he's gonna torture me like that for a little while longer.

In all seriousness though, when I roll with these guys I always put them in a dominant position. I am that 290# giant, so I'm never too worried about getting hurt, and it does help my escapes and reversals.

Back