1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Dealing with hysterical parents

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by scorcho, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Gregster Black Belt

Well, if they're hysterical, just choke 'em out. Repeat until they chill.

Okay, seriously....

1) People tend to be wary of what they don't understand. Try educating them a bit. Invite them to watch training. The more they know, the less apprehension they'll have.

2) Point out that virtually any sport involving contact, even if it's not part of the sport, can lead to injury. I've known a guy who's got a limp for life resulting from a soccer injury,,,soccer not widely known for being a brutal bloodsport. But he connected with a ball full force the same time as someone else and folded his knee. You can get fucked up riding a bike, doing gymnastics, playing basketball. I once beaned my best friend in the head with a Titleist #3 coming off a shanked chip so goddam hard I thought I gave him a concussion...nothing serious, but one inch off in any direction and he could easily have been missing teeth, or sight in his left eye.

You risk hurting yourself getting out of bed in the morning.

3) You might want to also point out that you've been training for some time will little ill effect.

4) Mention, as others have suggested, that you are training to be able to fight. Good training involves bleeding a little in the gym so you don't bleed a lot in the street.

2. Tim Chan Amateur Fighter

I doubt golf is so high. i guess it might be true if you look it it. those are all popular participation sports, and a lot of old guys play sports. also garage warriors don't know how to prevent injuries and get injured easily and they are sissies so they see a doctor.

a fighter wouldn't care about lil bruises, most of the time. and he'd know how to prevent most of the easy ones. Btw who the fuck rollerskates nowadays, without inline? I havent seen any of those in who knows how long(since i was 5 or something).

3. phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

My dads cool with me boxing, but for some reason he doesnt like that i also do bjj.