dealing with family's less then healthy lifestyle

Just try to make the foods more healthy. If you order takeout try to get a salad etc.

Start offering to cook dinner for everyone yourself. Cooking is often quite personal, same with eating. Attempting to take away or drastically change something that a) brings people together and b) makes them feel good, can be difficult.

In my family I lead by example and just started buying my own food and cooking. My Dad took offence to this and after giving me shit for wasting money on food when we already had food in the house, he started buying what I was buying. Now, they eat quite healthy. But I don't live with my parents anymore, so they get their health info from 'healthy living' articles. So they take flax oil and one fish oil pill three times a day.

So I bought them Precision Nutrition and signed them up for the Berardi message boards. I use their log-in name and they regularly read the articles there. So hopefully they are making small changes overtime, just like most of us did to learn about proper D&S.

So, long story short: be the change you want to see in your life, and let people educate themselves about what they can be doing to match their values with the options for change they want.

So, long story short: be the change you want to see in your life, and let people educate themselves about what they can be doing to match their values with the options for change they want.
QFMFT

I feel your pain, i always make my own food. but my parents dont really cook bad, what they do (my dad) is he goes food shopping and pretty much buys cake, chocolate, ice cream, pizza buns, more cake, cakes for the cake, other cake, pie, cake, and cookies. and i tell him time and time again (about 2 years now) i dont eat that shit. but every week this is what he does

"Hey! look what i got for you!" or he knocks on my door and has a plate with pie and ice cream and he goes "here!" and i felt bad at first, cuz sometimes i can be a jerk to my dad. but its just cuz he is really thick, and the only way he gets the point is when i flip out like a 2 year old. and throw the cake he gives me in the garbage. yeah, i feel bad doing it. but then he stops being annoying.

the worst was when i was starting out, and you're trying to get some willpower, and they're just trying to set you up to fail it seems.

so here's the deal. my parents, and pretty much entire family, excluding my bro eat a ton of junk and rarely get any exercise. because of this there is usually a ton of garbage food laying my house. this doesn't really bother me as i figure they can eat whatever they want. my only real problem is that my mom cooks the most unhealthy crap ever for dinner, or orders takeout. now i don't mind cooking my own food when she does but she somehow feels this is disrespectful. she figures that since she took the time to make it, or paid for it, i should have to eat it. i tried explaining to her that no matter how good her deep fried chicken fingers and cheese fries are i'm trying to get in shape, as opposed to just being thin, and can't eat that stuff all the time anymore. i also suggested she just not make as much anymore to compensate for me not eating it. but she, and my dad, still say its disrespectful and are now pissed at me. they also say its weird and "stupid." its been like 2 months now and i'm getting kinda tired of their nagging that "just one piece of pie won't hurt." don't get me wrong i will occasionly have a piece of pizza or something but i like to reserve that for dates and/or special occasions.

am i being unreasonable? should i have to eat unhealthy food just b/c my mom decided to cook it? any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated, thnx.

I know it is going to sound crazy, but if you are trying to GAIN weight and only eat her unhealthy shit once a day, you can still be pretty damn healthy. Just don't go in for seconds, and opt to make yourself a pre-bed meal or something else later if you are still hungry after eating her food. If you're thin, the extra calories could do you some good. If it is actually fried chicken and cheese fries from scratch, they wont be anywhere near as bad as the same thing from a fast food joint. When it comes to ordering carryout, there are always healthy alternatives on the menu. Especially at common Asian type restaurants.

It sucks being a kid, but it comes with the territory. Some people get lucky and have someone that understands. Talk to her too.. maybe you can eat what she makes a few times a week and eat what you need for your training the rest of the week. Either that or coax her into making alternatives that are slightly more healthy and equally delicious.

If its that bad just eat it but cut it down to 1/2 portions

I feel your pain. Food was always considered one of the great pleasures of life in my household. When I started having an interest in eating healthy, it caused a lot of problems. Denying my parents' cooking was a serious offense in their house.

Hopefully you can find a solution, but honestly I never did. Until I moved out, I was pretty much screwed.

It sucks being a kid, but it comes with the territory. Some people get lucky and have someone that understands. Talk to her too.. maybe you can eat what she makes a few times a week and eat what you need for your training the rest of the week. Either that or coax her into making alternatives that are slightly more healthy and equally delicious.

Chicken Tikka with salad and a few chapattis, sorted :D

the worst was when i was starting out, and you're trying to get some willpower, and they're just trying to set you up to fail it seems.

yeah, that does suck. i have a pretty iron will it seems but that's the worst part about it for my bro. he'll eat healthy the whole day and then my mom will bake up a giant batch of brownies for dessert and he'll give in.. its like "wow, thanks for being supportive mom." i tried telling him its only really hard for the first week or 2 and then you really don't even want it, but just when he seems to be on track she cooks up his favorite foods till he gives in. luckily he stays the course most of the time and is actually in pretty good shape, but he'd be ripped if she'd just stop screwing with him. it just pisses me off.

You think thats bad? I was raised vegetarian. Being 100 lbs at age 18 sucks.

I'm 5'7'' 5'8''. I weight about 140 now, and still gaining.

u mean the place with a mcdonalds every 50 feet, more mcdonolds there then in rest of usa

yeah that's the place.:icon_chee and even though i don't live in nyc its only about a 45 minute drive over the bridge. i swear to you there is a either a starbucks or dunkin donuts on EVERY block. a few even have them side by side. its unreal.

you're lucky. the problem with my family is that they eat too healthy. They are vegetarians and won't allow any meat in the house. they don't know that i've been eating meat since age of 8. They think that my 185pound , 5'8" frame is from eating kidney beans and that working out is not as benficial as yoga. My dad is 6'2" 140 pounds. I don't know anymore but if i tell them i eat meat, they'll flip. Its just all these soy and rice products are disgusting. How do i let them know without breaking their hearts.

you're lucky. the problem with my family is that they eat too healthy. They are vegetarians and won't allow any meat in the house. they don't know that i've been eating meat since age of 8. They think that my 185pound , 5'8" frame is from eating kidney beans and that working out is not as benficial as yoga. My dad is 6'2" 140 pounds. I don't know anymore but if i tell them i eat meat, they'll flip. Its just all these soy and rice products are disgusting. How do i let them know without breaking their hearts.

sucks man, but how'd you manage to sneak meat at 8 years old? your grandparents buy it for you or something? also if you don't live at home anymore just tell them, i mean they really can't do anything about it anymore , right?

sucks man, but how'd you manage to sneak meat at 8 years old? your grandparents buy it for you or something? also if you don't live at home anymore just tell them, i mean they really can't do anything about it anymore , right?

It was by accident. I was at school and traded in my carrot juice for this guys kolbasa sausage. He was not too happy to say the least...but i couldn't get enough of it. I try to avoid meat only because my parents make me feel bad becuase of all the stories they used to tell me about the slaughterhouses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back