Dealing with dislocated toes

JRT6

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I got a couple. How do you guys deal with this? Do you wear wrestling shoes for awhile or what. I tried buddy taping and it hurt like hell and the tape just came off anyway.

Wearing shoes in general hurt like hell. Barefoot I'm fine but I don't want to make the injury worse. I figure shoes and motrin is the way to go but I thought I'd ask anyway.

btw, I had a broken toe at that time.

I often have one due to judo training, my advice is, tap it before training, and every evening and morning ice it.

I'll throw in my two cents here and hope it'll be of some help.

Toes are always somewhat annoying to tape, unlike taped fingers taped toes never seem to feel quite "right". However imo if you've dislocated/broken a toe recently taping it propably has more pros than cons. You need to find a good brand of athletic tape that makes tape with enough glue because otherwise it'll just come off as you've propably noticed. Also, you can't really wrap your toes like fingers in a sense that toes tend to require a lot less tape. Having even a bit too much tape on your injured toes may only put pressure on them the wrong kind of way and make them even more sore.

tapingtutorialyozigi.jpg

I don't think that will work w/ my pinky toe but your example is good to know.^^^

Bullheaded,
I got your sig covered. :)

Shiiiiiieeeet - you're right that's actually pretty useless on a pinky toe. You could take a narrow piece of tape and wrap it once or twice in between the joints of your pinky toe as an anchor and then buddy-tape it to your foot by making another piece of tape go under the ball of your foot. Using something soft (gauze, cellular plastic) as a "splint" in between the pinky toe and the toe next to it so that the injured toe won't get crushed and that it stays somewhat straight. I used that method of taping for a dislocated pinky toe for a couple of weeks after it had popped out of place and it seemed to work alright.

Ok, I was thinking about splinting.

Funny this thread came up because I just dislocated my right pinky toe while WARMING UP for a competition yesterday. I popped it back in, taped it up and competed anyway. But by the end of my match the tape had come off and the toe was dislocated again. Ugh.

About how long do these things take to heal? Or will it pretty much always be in danger of popping back out again?

Totally basic, but I'll say it anyway:

Remember to tape it quite a bit before class. Doing it after going there or after the warm up will prevent the tape from sticking properly. Sweat gets in the way and the tape doesn't get time to set properly.

I don't see how you can do anything useful about a pinky toe though.

I don't see how you can do anything useful about a pinky toe though.

Maybe just wearing a sock on that foot would help? I think I might try that. I really don't want to miss several weeks of training just for a goddamn pinky toe. I want to just chop the damn thing off.

Funny this thread came up because I just dislocated my right pinky toe while WARMING UP for a competition yesterday. I popped it back in, taped it up and competed anyway. But by the end of my match the tape had come off and the toe was dislocated again. Ugh.

About how long do these things take to heal? Or will it pretty much always be in danger of popping back out again?

I jammed my two setting up for a back control drill. I might as well have smashed them on a toilet. My pinky toe has been broken before so it is vulnerable

I'm going to partition off with some toe cushion wrap I bought and then wear shoes for a couple weeks.

Speaking as someone who went to the doctor for 2 broken toes and several bruised bones in my foot, I can say that buddy-taping your pinky toe to the toe next to it with some cotton/gauze between them, along with ice/motrin is the best thing to do.

Ive dislocated my pinky toe/s a few times, and it takes a month or so to fully heal but you can keep training on it.

I did tape it, but yeah the pinky is hard to tape to the other toe. I have wrestling boots now so I would wear them next time it happens.

I'll throw in my two cents here and hope it'll be of some help.

Toes are always somewhat annoying to tape, unlike taped fingers taped toes never seem to feel quite "right". However imo if you've dislocated/broken a toe recently taping it propably has more pros than cons. You need to find a good brand of athletic tape that makes tape with enough glue because otherwise it'll just come off as you've propably noticed. Also, you can't really wrap your toes like fingers in a sense that toes tend to require a lot less tape. Having even a bit too much tape on your injured toes may only put pressure on them the wrong kind of way and make them even more sore.

tapingtutorialyozigi.jpg
Good illustration, I'll have to keep this in mind next time I have this problem. Thanks again.

Back