dealing w/ ego partners

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In my new school there's just a whole lot of guy in there with egos and have cocky attitudes.im not use to it and it's very annoying,anyone have this before? what do you do

for some reason I doubt that you have a quality black belt instructor

Sounds like a bunch of posers.Some of the baddest guys i've met are the most humble.they don't have to prove they are bad ass, they are:D

It's called white belt syndrome. It happens when guys with a bit of a chip on their shoulder decide they're going to train in a martial art. They buy the gi, the academy t-shirt and plaster their cars with TapouT bumper stickers so everybody knows that they are training to fight. After a while they either a) habitually get tapped b) habitually get gassed or c) both. After these things happen, the embarassment for them is too great so they go to another school or quit all together. Hang in there, they won't last long.

I also second the "instructor credibility" comment. A quality instructor or professor will address the class as a whole about egos and lame bs like that if he/she notices it is out of control.

One of the better schools I attended had some really egotistical dicks. The teachers were awesome, and a few of the lower belts were cool, but most of the higher blue and purple belts were complete snobs.

After trying to be friendly and getting ignored I just started ignoring them all in return. Worked out better that way I think.

I'm in a different school now, and the dick level is 100% lower here, but there are still a couple really good blue belts that are major dicks. All the purples and up are really nice, along with pretty much everyone else, but I guess it is just a fact of life.

I train at a really small facility, and I must say the egotistical pricks that come looking to just learn how to beat people up do not last very long. I am relatively new, having only been there since November, but I have found the higher up belts to be very helpful. If they have suggestions during grappling or sparring, they offer them. They also help out pointing flaws in techniques or offering ways to slightly improve a technique etc.

I think anyplace you go should have a tight-knit atmosphere. Everyone should be there to learn whether they have goals of fighting, just trying to get in shape or pick up skills for self defense etc.

I train with this guy who's dad was involved in MMA barely for a few years and rolls with his brother in the living room and shit and he seems to think that made him unbeatable. I weigh maybe 20lbs heavier than him and then subbed him five times in a row. He disappeared for a while and then came back last week with an even bigger ego wanting a rematch like he learnt some new moves and shit.

Some people have ego's, something you have to get used to!

There are probably some guys at my academy that dont know me well enough to know that Im joking around when I say a lot of shit that sounds arrogant. I mean 90% of the guys there know Im kidding but there are certainly new guys who probably dont get my sarcasm and think Im a douchebag.

Like if someone asks me to roll I might say something (joking around) like "Nah I cant roll with you, I still have a bruise on my leg from the last time we rolled....remember you kept tapping on it?" Or if my partner asks the instructor why the submission we are working on isnt working, I'll say "Dont feel bad, its not you. Nothing taps me out" I mean these are clearly jokes! But I guarantee there are guys who dont get my sense of humor and think Im the most arrogant prick alive. However, I know there are guys out there that reallyyyy are that arrogant....u just gotta deal with them. They all eventually quit.

Amazing grapplers like Ryan Hall feel no need to be assholes. Then of course you have guys like Matt Serra. Theres nothing you can do about cocky mofo's!

I actually get just as annoyed by overlyhumble people!! They annoy me just as much as cocky people. The guys who act like Yoda or a shoalin monk. Sort of what Chael Sonnen has been saying about Anderson Silva doing too much bowing, hand shaking and shit.

People that think because they CAN fight that now they have to have this inner self discipline and ignore all wrong doing and walk away from any potential confrontation! BJJ is not (and certainly never has been) that kind of martial art! I got in a street fight like 2 years ago (that I didnt start but I had no intentions of walking away from...just being honest) and afterwards the guy was like "Oh your really tough, you obviously know martial arts! Some self discipline you have! You should be ashamed" To which I replied "I have discipline to train hard everyday...not to walk away from fights." I cant stand when people act like Mr Miyagi just bc they know some martial arts. We are warm blooded MEN, sometimes we fight! (Sorry to go off on a lil rant)

copious amounts top pressure on the neck and jaw usually does the trick

There are probably some guys at my academy that dont know me well enough to know that Im joking around when I say a lot of shit that sounds arrogant. I mean 90% of the guys there know Im kidding but there are certainly new guys who probably dont get my sarcasm and think Im a douchebag.

Like if someone asks me to roll I might say something (joking around) like "Nah I cant roll with you, I still have a bruise on my leg from the last time we rolled....remember you kept tapping on it?" Or if my partner asks the instructor why the submission we are working on isnt working, I'll say "Dont feel bad, its not you. Nothing taps me out" I mean these are clearly jokes! But I guarantee there are guys who dont get my sense of humor and think Im the most arrogant prick alive. However, I know there are guys out there that reallyyyy are that arrogant....u just gotta deal with them. They all eventually quit.

Amazing grapplers like Ryan Hall feel no need to be assholes. Then of course you have guys like Matt Serra. Theres nothing you can do about cocky mofo's!

I actually get just as annoyed by overlyhumble people!! They annoy me just as much as cocky people. The guys who act like Yoda or a shoalin monk. Sort of what Chael Sonnen has been saying about Anderson Silva doing too much bowing, hand shaking and shit.

People that think because they CAN fight that now they have to have this inner self discipline and ignore all wrong doing and walk away from any potential confrontation! BJJ is not (and certainly never has been) that kind of martial art! I got in a street fight like 2 years ago (that I didnt start but I had no intentions of walking away from...just being honest) and afterwards the guy was like "Oh your really tough, you obviously know martial arts! Some self discipline you have! You should be ashamed" To which I replied "I have discipline to train hard everyday...not to walk away from fights." I cant stand when people act like Mr Miyagi just bc they know some martial arts. We are warm blooded MEN, sometimes we fight! (Sorry to go off on a lil rant)

ZOMG! You are sooooo badass! I want to be just like you!!!!

Really how old are you? 16 and a 1/2??

I'm pretty sure if encountering people with inflated egos repeatedly is high on your list of problems, then you probably don't have much cause for concern. Relax, life is good.

ZOMG! You are sooooo badass! I want to be just like you!!!!

Really how old are you? 16 and a 1/2??

Im badass bc I joke around with people? Seriously dude? U either take BJJ or Sherdog wayyyyyyyyyy too seriously!! See a shrink!

And if you are referring to the "street fight".....I fought a guy who sucker punched one of my friends. Id fight that fight every SINGLE time! Sorry if that makes me a "bad ass" but I actually HAVE friends!

BTW Im 31yrs old....does that balding guy in my avatar look 16 yrs old?

Im badass bc I joke around with people? Seriously dude? U either take BJJ or Sherdog wayyyyyyyyyy too seriously!! See a shrink!

And if you are referring to the "street fight".....I fought a guy who sucker punched one of my friends. Id fight that fight every SINGLE time! Sorry if that makes me a "bad ass" but I actually HAVE friends!

Lmfao that makes it 30x worse. And not the balding guy in your avatar doesn't make you look 16, your attitude does.

Last edited:

You must have tolerance for the intolerant. There is no true truth. - Yoda Miyagi

Edit: perhaps peoples' inner self discipline is what allowed them to learn how to fight?

Who walks around getting in street fights then has a debriefing with the guy whose ass they supposedly just kicked? You sound like you are trying to pose as a bad ass on the sherdog forums and it's pretty lame.

Maybe in the next street fight when you land a sweet sweep on your opponent he will counter with a knife stab to your abdomen... or have you perfected knife fighting techniques as well?

Your really 30+? :/

imgres

In my new school there's just a whole lot of guy in there with egos and have cocky attitudes.im not use to it and it's very annoying,anyone have this before? what do you do

Back to the matter at hand....

If you don't like training someplace, go somewhere else. You should enjoy training - the point is to just keep training. The better you get, the less this sort of thing will bother you.

Didn't really see anything too controversial with ZuZitsu's post... The comments probably would be pretty annoying to someone if they didn't know he was joking and so he got in to a street fight a few years ago, so what?

It's a very mature thing for someone to walk away from a fight. Not everyone is built that way. Renzo Gracie says 'fighting is a beautiful thing to have in man's soul' and it becomes sig worthy but a guy talks about getting in to a scrap because someone sucker punched his buddy and everyone get's in an uproar?

I'm mature enough not to start shit with people. Does that mean I'll give people a pass if they start shit with me? Maybe I will, maybe I won't.. Does that make me an immature asshole too? Since when did sticking up for yourself become a crime? Sounds like a lot of PC bullshit from kids who have been breast fed a little too long.

Back