Reaction score
Is there any reason to do this?
Any benefits over other excercises?

can you even deadlift with a dumbell?

adren@line said:

Absolutely, and there's nothing wrong with it, except that once you get strong you'll run out of dumbells that are much of a challenge. Even the big boy gym I lifted at only had them up to 120's, and a 240 deadlift is something you'll soon surpass.

You can always get some farmer's walk bars and stand on a platform and do it that way once you get get past dumbells.

Cmart said:
Absolutely, and there's nothing wrong with it, except that once you get strong you'll run out of dumbells that are much of a challenge. Even the big boy gym I lifted at only had them up to 120's, and a 240 deadlift is something you'll soon surpass.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever tried dumbell deadlifts or squats with very heavy dumbells? You need quite a bit of grip strength to do 10 reps with 120 lb dumbells. It's much harder than a barbell deadlift because you need to balance the dumbells. When you do a barbell anything, be it bench press or deadlift, your body tends to compensate for the weaker side. This is why incorporating dumbell exercises into your workouts will significantly help you.

You won't pyramid out of 120 lb dumbells if you've never done it before for quite a while.

ThaiJJJ said:
Just out of curiousity, have you ever tried dumbell deadlifts or squats with very heavy dumbells? You need quite a bit of grip strength to do 10 reps with 120 lb dumbells. It's much harder than a barbell deadlift because you need to balance the dumbells. When you do a barbell anything, be it bench press or deadlift, your body tends to compensate for the weaker side. This is why incorporating dumbell exercises into your workouts will significantly help you.

You won't pyramid out of 120 lb dumbells if you've never done it before for quite a while.
Interesting.

How would I squat with dumbbells?

I'd guess you'd hold them in your hand and squat dude.

ThaiJJJ brings up a good point about grip strength, holding onto heavy ass DB's on pull exercises can be a bear. I don't advise using straps or hooks unless you have specialized grip training in your workout as well, however.

If you're limited to dumbells (as opposed to trying DB deads as an experiment) you might also want to investigate dumbell swings and split (also known as Bulgarian) squats, as well as more well known exercises like step-up's and lunges.

ThaiJJJ said:

In a little contest I entered last year, I did a one-handed deadlift with an olympic bar (not a dumbell, but on one side of my body) with 265 pounds. So yeah, the 120's aren't as much good to me anymore for deadlifting. But lift away until they're too easy - nothing wrong with that.

CarnalSalvation said:
I'd guess you'd hold them in your hand and squat dude.

ThaiJJJ brings up a good point about grip strength, holding onto heavy ass DB's on pull exercises can be a bear. I don't advise using straps or hooks unless you have specialized grip training in your workout as well, however.

If you're limited to dumbells (as opposed to trying DB deads as an experiment) you might also want to investigate dumbell swings and split (also known as Bulgarian) squats, as well as more well known exercises like step-up's and lunges.
Interesting.

Would you think the DB squats would actually work out the legs equally? I can't see how it would workout the legs equally more than a barbell.

O yea.

What kind of hamstring exercises do you do Carnal?

-edit- actually anyone, any good exercises for the hamstring aside from the SLDL?

I cant find a good one.

rdl, one legged RDL, glute ham raise, good morning.

Urban said:
rdl, one legged RDL, glute ham raise, good morning.
BBHamstringRaise.html

That must be the glute hamstring raise?

Damn I gotta start getting creative cause my fucking gym doesnt have the contraception to do that.

My gym is killing me. The fucking barbells are cheap and uneven. None of the DB's go over 100 pounds. And the dip station is fucking crooked. One of the handle is higher than the other.

And the other more qualified gym is 85 bucks a month while this is like 25 to 30 range.

I'm thinking about getting a home gym.

You lift at home Urban?

Dude, glute ham raises work as contraceptives?!

And here I was worried about knocking bitches up.

LMFAO.

And here I was thinking contraception meant a machine or a tool.

You just know I wasn really pay attention in my HS sex ed class.

YOu learn something new everyday.

A glute ham raise can be done on a lat pulldown. just pop your heels under the knee supports and put your knees on the seat. It'll do in a pinch. I can only do negatives.

Ted-P said:
you lift at home Urban?
Yeah, I have all summer. It breaks down to heavy deadlifts and overhead presses (after cleaning into position) and squats for reps.

CarnalSalvation said:
contraceptives?!
Ha!!!!!!

That's the word I know by for devices for preventing babies.

I swear I hear people say contraception in a different meaning.

You might hear people call contraptions contraceptives though. Shit, in a year contraceptive will have another definition.

Look at "irregardless".

adren@line said:

I try to deadlift with people who are at least just as intelligent as me if not smarter. But i suppose i could do it with a dumbell.

the reason to do dead lifts with dumbells is that it's much easier on your back. For some people who don't have the flexibility to do dead lifts safely, then using dumbells works pretty good. having them at your sides is much easier on your back and having to lift and lower the bar out in front of you. Personally i like doing both methods. And i feel that regular olympic bar dead lifts are much better overall

Back