Deadlifting, ripped calluses and grip

You know diabetics who are lifters then? Oh, you were just assuming so you could call me gay for using gloves and finish your point. It's not an excuse it's a fact. Do some reading if you are able to. Instead of sounding like a fucking twelve year old kid educate yourself and realize that for me it isn't worth the risks.

And acutally yes i no two guys who are diabetics and dont wear gloves.

I've never seen anyone strong at the gym use gloves. Some curl monkeys do, and a lot of guys who are really weak but stronger than the general office-working populace (like myself) who think they look badass with gloves. I despise the fucking glove-wearers. They are too frail-minded to ignore how the fucking skin on their hand feels for a week while they get adjusted, how are they going to get stronger? Ever?

NO FUCKING GLOVES. Calluses are not a problem, they are a privilege. They are a testament to your work ethic, they are tiny symbols of your body and mind hardening under the strain and pressure of tons and tons of IRON. Iron which you lift so that when you are old and gray you may never die, but only rust away.

And acutally yes i no two guys who are diabetics and dont wear gloves.
My whole point has been that it is my choice what to do in regards to my health. It doesn't make me a woman or a ***got. It just means that I might only be lifting 315 instead of 350 or whatever arbitrary numbers we want to use. I am ok with that. I don't define my level of self worth by how much I can bench or deadlift. Sorry for calling you a tard but that "you're a homo cause you use gloves" shit sent me over the edge.

I don't understand why someone would use gloves, which limits how much they can lift (which in terms limits gains), and limits carryover for when your not wearing gloves, instead of just performing proper callus maintenance. What it sounds like is you want to wear gloves, and are using the fact you're diabetic as an excuse.

I don't understand why someone would use gloves, which limits how much they can lift (which in terms limits gains), and limits carryover for when your not wearing gloves, instead of just performing proper callus maintenance. What it sounds like is you want to wear gloves, and are using the fact you're diabetic as an excuse.

Alright you caught me. I am just a pussy using my medical condition as an excuse so I can avoid painful calluses on my pretty little hands. Are you surprised I was able to keep up the game this long?

Why would gloves limit your carryover when not wearing them? I would expect gloves making it harder to grip with, similar to putting a towel around the barbell.

I just entered this thread for the first time. S&P+C, I am disappoint.

That "pussy using my medical condition as an excuse so I can avoid painful calluses on my pretty little hands"-dude is both ignorant and insulting. Why didn't anyone tear him a new one already?

My medical condition only allows me to type so much per hour because I'll get callouses on my hands.

^ OMG. EWW. Don't just stand there. Go get yourself some gloves.

My medical condition only allows me to type so much per hour because I'll get callouses on my hands.

You got me curious man. This will be my last post because I'm losing this argument. How much do you deadlift? What could I expect to be able to pull if I didn't use my hand vaginas? I am really interested in how much of a difference it makes.

500lbs.

500DL.jpg

Why would you purposefully increase the diameter of the object you are using unless absolutely required for performance? More weight lifted means stronger, bigger, faster to your goals, etc. Smaller diameter to grip means you can lift more.

If you can lift more weight with minimal maintenance of callouses, wouldn't you want to do it? I have had callouses rip while training strongman, and I do realize it is not fun at all. Soon after, I really focused on taking care of them. After showering, I just shave them off - takes all of 30 seconds per hand.

Last edited:
Cool. A lot of feedback here, and it is much appreciated.

I've only ever ripped the one by my pinky.

Anyway, are you using chalk?
You should be using chalk...

No, I'm not using chalk. I will give it a shot once these things heal up, or at least close a bit. Or I'll just tape them up and play with the deadlift grip and take the lifting session as more of a study session. Any advice where I can get a descent deal on some chalk? I'm not even sure where I could get some in a store?

It could be a grip issue, not necessarily the strength of your grip but the placement.

Thanks! This guy is stating exactly what I am doing. pushing the bar deep into the palm and not so much on the fingers. Definitely gonna play with my grip next time and see the results of each.

If you don't need to use a mixed grip, don't. Since you just started, work on pulling double overhand to work your grip strength.

About the calluses, it may be the way you're gripping the bar. Did you concentrate on squeezing the bar? Was it all the way up against your fingers (not in the palm of your hand)? Here are a few links that may help.

How to Grip The Bar Correctly on Deadlifts | StrongLifts.com
How to Deadlift with Proper Technique | StrongLifts.com
How to Grip Bars Correctly: Push vs. Pull Exercises | StrongLifts.com

Awesome articles. Thanks. I read them all. Very detailed and the consensus seems to be to grip check. definitely changing things up there.

A few things you can do. First go to a sporting goods store and buy yourself a decent pair of lifting gloves. It will feel a bit odd at first, but after a couple training days you will get used to them. Doesn't completely get rid of calluses but it makes them so small they really can't rip off. Second, maybe invest in some wrist wraps so your grip doesn't compromise during later sets. If you are lifting heavy you will tend to falter later in your lifts and this will cause the bar to roll a bit in your hand. I also use an over under grip and found that if I change which hand is over and which is under halfway through my workout it lowers the stress on my wrists and my grip doesn't weaken as much. Finally, make sure you are doing your deadlifts at the beginning of your workout. Since deadlifts incorporate so many muscle groups you have to be fresh to do them. If your form or posture falter because of fatigue you are gonna increase the chances that your grip will break and the bar will roll in your hand.

Nothing personal, but I really don't want to use the gloves and straps. From what I have read they do more harm than good. The callus thing really isn't a vanity thing with me. I have a manual labor job so my hands are pretty beat up. I just don't want the things ripping off in the middle of a lift so I can focus on the lift instead of the pain / blood. Thanks for your advice anyway.

I'm wondering if the TS is using a bar with really sharp knurling? As to the gloves thing, it might be a limiting factor in your future lifting when your grip won't match your deadlifting ability. It could easily be avoided, but in the end I suppose it's really about your comfort concerning your personal health problems... but based on that using gloves for yourself is really a special case and not really something you should be recommending to others who don't have the same condition in my opinion.

I didn't notice if the bar was really knurled (sp?) but i will make a mental note and compare it to other bars next time. it's a possibility

Chalk can be purchased from a lot of places, like elitefts.com, ironmind.com, etc. It is not expensive at all, and you'll get a significant amount of chalk that should last one person damn near forever.

I picked some chalk up at my local Academy for pretty cheap, dont remember exactly but less than ten dollars. 2 2oz blocks, in the weight section.

Yes, because not using gloves makes you a meathead moron.

Shave the callouses, use a correct grip and use chalk. Where does gloves come into the equation? It makes you look like a pussy who needs someone to give him a manicure after deadlifting.

X2

If you haven't been using chalk, GET IT. You can buy a whole bar for 2 bucks at a sports store. It makes a world of difference.

NO FUCKING GLOVES. Calluses are not a problem, they are a privilege. They are a testament to your work ethic, they are tiny symbols of your body and mind hardening under the strain and pressure of tons and tons of IRON. Iron which you lift so that when you are old and gray you may never die, but only rust away.

Boom. This is correct.

Bottom line -- if you need to minimize the risk of losing a callus due to medical reasons, that's fine, do what you need to do.

If you're concerned about keeping your hand callus-free, gloves may help.

I don't see any problem with calluses. Think of them as toenails -- they don't need a lot of attention, just don't let 'em get disgusting.

In other words, keep 'em trimmed or filed to a reasonable level and you'll minimize the chances of tearing one or grossing out the girls. Best of all possible worlds.

UPDATE

Adjusted the grip on the DL today. Didnt get around to buying the chalk yet. The adjusted grip helped a lot. Made a world of difference.

Only one slight tear and it didn't even come off.

Thanks for all the help guys

scoopj is like a thai hooker - $5 sucky sucky, $10 licky licky, $15 shavey shavey callouses.

Back