Deadlift woes

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Professor Jones, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Professor Jones

Professor Jones White Belt

This morning I deadlifted 130 kilos 1x5 (doin starting strenght) for the first time. The warm up and the first 2 reps of the work set went well, but in the ascending phase of the 3rd rep I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. In that case there's the stupid thing and the smart thing to do, well I did the stupid thing and went on to complete the set. As a result I had to spent most of my day lying in bed because I could hardly walk properly.

Now I'm wondering, why did that happen ? I noticed that I have a tendency to arch my upper back when the weight is very heavy for me. Problem is that when this happens I can't feel whether my lower back is arched or not. I've postponed wearing a belt (never wore one as of now), following Rippetoe's advice to not begin wearing one until I stall. Would it be a good time to start wearing one ?

2. Fighting Sprite

Fighting Sprite Green Belt

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Work on your form, don't let your back round, make sure your knees don't extend faster than your hips.

Belt is optional but I wear one and I think it helps me stay tight.