Deadlift vid

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Porch_Rabbit, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

I badly need my form checked on my deadlift, so I hoped someone here could help.

I posted this in my log as well. But I wanted to post it here in case no one really checks my log at all.

Like I have said, I am brand new to deadlifting so it still feels very unnatural to me. I did these two reps at the very end of my workout, which was a mistake. I should have had someone film me during my work sets, but whatever.

I notice that my upper back seems to break early on. How do I address that? Is that more to do with upper back weakness, or weakness of the abs and lower back? I would appreciate any other critique as well.

[YT]n6uhRwXyjtk&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

your butt is far too low.

3. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Shit I didn't even really notice that. I was so concerned with keeping my back tight that I reverted to a squat. Thanks for that heads up.

4. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

Not to be picky, but since you wanted feedback :)

1. Your hip/butt starting postition is too low when the pull is initiated as KILL KILL pointed out.

2. You should get your shoulders back/chest up to activate more lats and ease your lockout for heavier pulls.

3. It seems like you could narrow your grip a few centimeters, gets it all tighter, shorter ROM, and tighter back.

4. Do no let the bar ride down your thigs and jump of your knees on the decent. Just move your ass back a few centimeters at the top and follow the bar straight down. (not stifflegged)

Keep on deadlifting :)

5. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Pick away! That is what I was looking for anyways.

My problem is combining 1 and 2. I think I can only improve one and people have been telling me it's 1. I actually do have a shit body for deadlifting. I am 6'8" with incredibly long femurs and uncommonly short arms for my height. I kept worrying about keeping my shoulders behind the bar, and the only way I could do that and actually reach the bar was to drop down that far into a squat.

But I just watched a video of Konstantins doing deadlifts, and while he is nowhere near as tall as me, I think his form is the best example for me to follow. My shoulders will have to go over the bar a little bit, and instead of trying to keep my back so vertical, I will have to keep it a lot closer to parallel with the ground in order to raise my hips up at the start. I just have to keep reminding myself that it is more of a back exercise than a leg exercise, which is uncomfortable for me since I am so used to squatting and I end up turning the deadlift into a squat as well.

6. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

you could try this:

As you see, he starts way low, like a snatch. But the point is, you can set up your back/lats/shoulders while your hip is low, then start raising it until you have full flextion in your arms, and then pull. If you pause the video the exact moment the bar starts moving you see his "real" starting position.

Hard to explain in english, but either start low and raise it before the actual pull is initiated, or parhaps play around with rolling the bar towards you to pull your shoulders back.

7. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Yeah his "real" starting position seems to be similar to the one I saw of Konstantinovs. I think I got it now. I have been playing around and just randomly getting into position throughout the day and I think I can get especially with a little bit more flexibility. I'll post up a new video with my new form and hopefully it will be a lot better.

8. big_john127

big_john127 Profess¬°onal Lurker

Narrow your stance.

9. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

By the way, I really appreciate all your advice. I just did my workout tonight. I changed my form a lot in order to get my hips higher at the start, as well as make sure my shoulders were far enough back. The form felt great! I destroyed my prescribed set and I really think my max shot up over 30 lbs with this new form. So it is probably over 400 now and above my squat at 390.

I was really excited since it felt like my deadlift was that much easier. Then I looked at the video I had someone take. I could have sworn my lower back felt tight and that my spine was in a neutral position, but the video seems to say otherwise. Here are the videos from today, and I am hoping to god that you guys say the lower back is fine, but I am thinking you will all probably say otherwise.

[YT]sVOR5TNR8o8[/YT]

[YT]W87f9jPTuOM[/YT]

10. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Otherwise I don't know what to do. I can't find any videos online that are geared towards 6'8" guys with looong femurs and incredibly short arms. I tried to get my hips up a lot higher which really seemed to make the deadlift feel a lot easier. But the only way to get my t-rex arms to reach the bar was to drop my upper body. Now, this form really seemed to make me a lot stronger, but I don't know if this lower back position will break my back when I actually up the poundage and go for something that is really heavy for me with this new form.

11. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

Last video is "Private" so cant watch it.

I think that it is and improvement, but the little rounding you have there you can probably solve by getting your shoulderblades down and back/Chest up. (roll them back like you would setting up your bench). That might lead to dropping your ass an inch, but all over you will be much better off than in the OP video

12. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

If you could clear this up it would be great. I notice in a lot of instructional videos they say to bring your shoulder blades together, or pinch them together. But then I notice a lot of the videos of top deadlifters doing the opposite and actually dropping their shoulders towards the bar on the set up. When I did what you said in the mirror, it looked like I was able to get rid of the back rounding by actually raising my hips even a bit more, bringing my chest up, and then dropping my shoulders as far as they could go towards the bar (as in doing the complete opposite of pinching my shoulder blades together). So in my case, do you think this would be appropriate?

13. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

The video in the OP looked fine to me. Maybe you could try being more aggressive at contracting your glutes and quads at the top (to get a "cleaner" lockout position), and maybe you could give narrowing your stance just a bit a try, but even that I wouldn't consider it to be a significant mistake at your level. Keep adding weight to the bar and when the reps become substantially harder take another form check vid.

The form in the second video looked worse than the video in the OP, imo.

/2c

14. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

Pay no attention to what i said about the ass. As long as you feel like that eliminates the rounding. (I see in retrospect this will vary depending on starting ass high and dropping before the pull (konstantinovs), or ass low and raising before the pull (Koklyaev))

Also, when you look at the pros, do not look at supergeared lifts, where this is hard and also sacrifices somethings for max lifts.

Anyhow, brining the shoulderblades back, brings the chest up, and makes the bar travel closer to you so you can pull it "back", and not hoist it up in front like a crane at a construction site.

Also note that even thou everyone says "pull them back" doesnt mean you are able to keep them there thoroughout a heavy pull, but it sets you up in the start. It gives you a strong start, with good lats activation. And the more you are able to keep the shoulders back, chest up, it eases your lockout since you arent "hinged" over at the top trying to roll your shoulders back with 500+ lbs to get a lockout.

Shoulders down and back, flex lats, drive the chest through, then pull.

I know it can be confusing, but keep trying, find what works for you.

15. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

I appreciate the help from everyone. But just like the videos, I am getting different advice from every direction. So I am just going to do my own thing for now and experiment since I have unusual dimensions. I think ill be able to do something similar to the second video as my true form. i agree with you miaou that my second Vid looks worse but i think that is closer to where i want to be in the future. it will just take some time to iron out all the ugly kinks like the rounded back and everything else. But I'll post another video sometime once my max is a couple hundred pounds higher haha.