Deadlift support exercises?

ElKarlo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the 5X5 sticky what are support ex for DLs? Back extensions? Hamstring curls? I'm really not sure. Could you guys please give me a few examples.

Also are DB rows ok in place of BORs? Sometimes my lower back feels overly fatigued to do over 165lbs, and it's my LB and not my upperback that feels the strains, making the lift weaker.

I also have NO access to cable rows, at all. :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

In the 5X5 sticky what are support ex for DLs? Back extensions? Hamstring curls? I'm really not sure. Could you guys please give me a few examples.

Also are DB rows ok in place of BORs? Sometimes my lower back feels overly fatigued to do over 165lbs, and it's my LB and not my upperback that feels the strains, making the lift weaker.

I also have NO access to cable rows, at all. :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

Good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, glute ham raise, back extensions, rowing etc. Anything that works the muscles used during the deadlift.

Yes DB rows can be used in place of BoRs, I prefer them.

Good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, glute ham raise, back extensions, rowing etc. Anything that works the muscles used during the deadlift.

Ok, I was figuring Romanians would be used in place of a DL. As it is kinda a variation.
I also wasn't sure if doing a GM on the same day was a good idea or not.

Ok good. Doing BJJ and DLing puts a lot of strain on my lower back, and BORing all the time really tires me out.

^ yes

Also you can do trap bar deadlifts, and generally mix up your grip and stance on BB Deadlifts. And power cleans in addition to or instead of deadlifts for a few weeks.

Ok, I was figuring Romanians would be used in place of a DL. As it is kinda a variation.
I also wasn't sure if doing a GM on the same day was a good idea or not.

Ok good. Doing BJJ and DLing puts a lot of strain on my lower back, and BORing all the time really tires me out.

I usually do good mornings on my squat day, and front squats on deadlift day. They can still be used as assistance, just like rack pulls could be, you really just have to program it properly.

^ yes

Also you can do trap bar deadlifts, and generally mix up your grip and stance on BB Deadlifts. And power cleans in addition to or instead of deadlifts for a few weeks.

Well it'd nice to trapbar, but you see I live I Japan. go to a big gym, where they have only one squat rack. So if I want to DL or squat I gotta not warm up, otherwise I can't workout, as it'll be taken over by dingbats.

I try to change the weight and reps, while changing how I pull my BBs when I do rows. I also try to add in reverse flys to power set it up.

I also can't clean in my gym, nothing over the head unless it's an OHP:icon_sad:

This answers your questions perfectly, but I do have an addition to make. If you do a more "dynamic" version of the barbell row as opposed to strict, it may be beneficial.
Carnal said:
I like my rows like I like my women -- heavy and sloppy.

When I was doing a PPS routine, my assistance work following DL was consistently good mornings & heavy BB rows. However I wasn't doing BJJ or any other MA training at the time so that is a factor I can't speak for. Try them "cheating" and try DB rows, see which way is better for your goals.

Do you have only 1 Barbell in the whole gym? If not grab another barbell, some plates and pull somewhere on the floor. You can also do T-Bar rows if you can find a free corner.

This answers your questions perfectly, but I do have an addition to make. If you do a more "dynamic" version of the barbell row as opposed to strict, it may be beneficial.

When I was doing a PPS routine, my assistance work following DL was consistently good mornings & heavy BB rows. However I wasn't doing BJJ or any other MA training at the time so that is a factor I can't speak for. Try them "cheating" and try DB rows, see which way is better for your goals.

You're right I can dynamic row. I used to, I haven't for a while. I think I learn new lifts, and forget to do some others at the same time. Thanks for the reminder.

Hmmm, I will see what I works. I DLed today as it was the day to do it. I do BJJ tmrw, so I guess next week when I do DLs again I will see how much dynamic rowing effects me.

Also I heard that for CNS' sake one should either Squat or DL in a week, but not both. As in DL Monday, and do Romanians Friday, or Squat Mon and do box squats Fri. The rational was that if you do both movements in a week, you end up doing both poorly, as they're both heavy movements. Any truth to this?

Do you have only 1 Barbell in the whole gym? If not grab another barbell, some plates and pull somewhere on the floor. You can also do T-Bar rows if you can find a free corner.

I don't have room to do anything outside of the cage. I can do DB lunges and Bulgarians, but nothing with a bar. The freeweight area is pretty small. 2 benches, 4 adj benches, a smith machine, a single cable tower, back extensions, leg press, the cage, and the DB rack are all in an area that's 20' by 12'.

I do need to do some T bar rows. No reason not too. Should I do a 3X10 or what for for them? I'm kinda following the 5x5 plan from the stickies, but I find that it's kinda hard to row for a 5x5, it seems more natural to do 4x8 or 3x10s for that movement.

Oh btw how do I do a GHR with no equipment? I don't even have a dip bar at my gym:icon_cry2 Anyway that I can do a GHR on my own with no equipment or partner? Japanese people are shy and don't like to spot me:icon_cry2 so I have to bench with no spotter, ever. So my Bench is pretty much not going up

Also I heard that for CNS' sake one should either Squat or DL in a week, but not both. As in DL Monday, and do Romanians Friday, or Squat Mon and do box squats Fri. The rational was that if you do both movements in a week, you end up doing both poorly, as they're both heavy movements. Any truth to this?

IMO this is absolutely false. You can do one heavy and focus more on speed or repetition/volume for the other, but even then only if you're to a point where you can't do both heavy. Look at the Starting Strength routine: Squatting every workout & squatting AND deadlifting in the same workout every other workout.

IMO this is absolutely false. You can do one heavy and focus more on speed or repetition/volume for the other, but even then only if you're to a point where you can't do both heavy. Look at the Starting Strength routine: Squatting every workout & squatting AND deadlifting in the same workout every other workout.

I thought so. Though when I've done some heavy programs it does get hard to do bench, rows, DLs, and Squats in the same week. but that could just be getting exhuasted by that point.

I guess I am also getting to the point where I need to look more into how and what I'm doing, as opposed to just following a plan like a puppy dog. Like chaning the plan a bit if I'm feeling good or bad. Today I did a 5x5 DL, back extensions, DB rows, and hamstring curls, and situps. I felt like I could've done another movement, perhaps pullups or lat pulldowns. While other days just doing squats can take it all outa me.

you could try inverted rows instead of BOR's, i prefer them but it depends on your BW. some ppl find them too easy, some too hard. you can use a weighted vest if they're too easy.

I squat and deadlift in the same week, every week. It's false.

Snatch deadlifts have worked very well for me. Improves lower back strength and strength off the floor.

you could try inverted rows instead of BOR's, i prefer them but it depends on your BW. some ppl find them too easy, some too hard. you can use a weighted vest if they're too easy.

I'm about 185, and I BOR about 170(the plates are KG here and are a bit diff). I find that at about 175lbs it starts to tax my lower back, and I end up with a half up right row.
Don't have a weighted vest, not sure how that works in place of weight. Is it worth getting one?

Snatch deadlifts have worked very well for me. Improves lower back strength and strength off the floor.

I checked out some videos. Is a SDL a DL with a faster lift off? If not, I dont see the difference:icon_cry2

I checked out some videos. Is a SDL a DL with a faster lift off? If not, I dont see the difference:icon_cry2

I believe it's basically a deadlift with your grip out wide, like you are going to snatch it. But you deadlift it.

Back