deadlift question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by maravillin, Sep 16, 2010.

1. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

some dudes at the gym have recently critiqued my form, i was basically goin by the video i saw in the faq, any way these guys were sayin i wasnt gettin my ass low enough at the beginning of the lift, i keep my back straight, but they kept saying i gotta get my my thighs parallel to the deck n my ass lower if possible. this is something i do on my power cleans n power snatch but i that that wasnt necessary as long as i kept my chest out head up n back straight

2. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

Take a video. I also don't know why they are telling you to get parallel. You should pretty much look like this

[​IMG]

3. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Wait they said your thigh has to be parallel with the deck? The floor? And does your setup look similar to this?

[​IMG]

Of course, it would be best to take a video to make sure that you are doing it correctly.

4. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

those 2 are a lil contridicting, i look exactly like the first skeletal pic, thanks for the help btw

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Video is always good.

...But, many people try to deadlift, or have other people deadlift with the hips too low. Instead of pulling the weight up, they're trying to squat the weight up. Probably due to the idea that having the hips lower allows for more leg drive (it increases the ROM that you can use leg drive for, but has the legs in a weaker position at the beginning of the lift) or that this position is easier on the back (It might be easier on the back, but it doesn't allow as much weight to be lifted, and it can easily result in the hips rising first).

Different people will have their hips in different positions depending on biomechanics. In some cases, a particular injury/issue/strength/weakness may also affect hip position when pulling.

Also, just to be clear: You're pulling Conventional and not Sumo, Right?

6. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Tell them to shut up and shoot a video. If they said that your thighs should be paralel, thats f'd up. You would have to bend your elbows,

7. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

it is conventional, and yes they were basically advocating to squat it up, i know i was doin well and it was kinda a mindfuck cuz i spent alot of time developing my technique..