Deadlift Plateau

I didn't say anything about odds. People don't care to DL 200 kg. Also years of gradual strength training. That's rare dedication.

200kg is also high for trained individuals. Unless you mean powerlifters. Isn't sherdog a combat sports gathering. I bet many professional fighters can't DL 200 kg. Floyd Mayweather probably isn't out there deadlifting 200 kg. I think some guys here are very powerlifting and strength oriented.

In any case to each their own. Everyone sets their own goals. I personally got fucked up fingers and can't deadlift at all, I get immediate pain. I bench press and do other exercises that don't include 300 400 pounds hanging on my weak fingers.

Also DL and Squat are the #1 risky exercises for serious injuries. You can lift and move the most weight with those 2 exercises.

I mean kickboxing sparring is also not necessarily safe. Everyone picks their activities.

When I was younger I deadlifted 225, just started doing DLs and ended up barely getting out of bed the next day. Needles to say my form must've been shit.

And yes Squat and DL produce the best results as they are the hardest exercises. How much recovery does a person want to give to DL Squat, do they rather wanna use their energy for other exercises. Well most people are undertained anyways. If you stay injury free deadlifts and squats will produce a lot of muscle increase and power. Actually I can squat squatting is OK got no knee pains.

Do you wanna gain strength and size. Or Cardio, skills ect. Everyone picks their exercises and activities.

Maybe you can DL 450 pounds but gass out in 2 rounds of boxing. Maybe you're lacking Cardio. Or even skill and experience. Maybe you're happy chasing increases in the big 3 lifts. Maybe your goals are esthetic and bodybuilding related. Maybe health.

OK guys good luck with all your exercises.
Que? 200kg is pretty standard. I honestly barely pay attention to my lifting and have been able to pull 200kg for the last few years. That’s also while doing grappling and Muay Thai. Furthermore, having an ok deadlift has provided some good benefits to my general life. I do side with you on the fat powerlifters who get out of breath walking to the platform being sad though. Porque no los dos

Que? 200kg is pretty standard. I honestly barely pay attention to my lifting and have been able to pull 200kg for the last few years. That’s also while doing grappling and Muay Thai. Furthermore, having an ok deadlift has provided some good benefits to my general life. I do side with you on the fat powerlifters who get out of breath walking to the platform being sad though. Porque no los dos

Well you've been training for the last couple years and doing martial arts. Grappling is also very strength intense.

Deadlift strength has little carry over to boxing, at least compared to most martial arts.
Mayweather is also like 160 lbs

I remember when this section was very powerlifting oriented back in day

Epic stuff even bodybuilding was to be shit on lol

Well you've been training for the last couple years and doing martial arts. Grappling is also very strength intense.
That’s true. I guess consistency is key really if someone has that goal. But I understand most people don’t care about heavy lifting

Deadlift strength has little carry over to boxing, at least compared to most martial arts.
Mayweather is also like 160 lbs
I’ve heard Tyson fury talk about how deadlifting is beneficial for him. I’d imagine the quick lifts would help more, but I’m also in the camp that thinks having a big deadlift helps the quick lifts too. So idk

I’ve heard Tyson fury talk about how deadlifting is beneficial for him. I’d imagine the quick lifts would help more, but I’m also in the camp that thinks having a big deadlift helps the quick lifts too. So idk
Help with what?
You're mostly upright when boxing.
And when you're bent over, it's not loaded.
Improving at those lifts won't necessarily help you in the ring. It most likely would help a wrestler though for example.

Help with what?
You're mostly upright when boxing.
And when you're bent over, it's not loaded.
Improving at those lifts won't necessarily help you in the ring. It most likely would help a wrestler though for example.
Idk he said it not me. But if I were to guess, it would be that your whole body would be stronger, which would allow you to generate more force. Guys with strong deadlifts also have extremely strong cores due to the amount of bracing required for the lift. Now my theory I’m thinking of on the spot would be something like: the stronger your deadlift within reason, the stronger your clean and snatch would be. And I would definitely argue cleaning and snatching would have a direct effect on boxing. That would be because they are very explosive movements, and also very athletic movements.

It's a good lift for building a baseline of strength.

You're throwing around terms like they're all encompassing traits that you can simply add to your body like an RPG character. Increasing your ability to generate force in one movement doesn't mean that you'll increase your ability to generate force in all movements. I'd be very surprised if any elite boxer is good at cleaning or snatching.
You also (most often) gain muscle when you get stronger. Boxers generally have a similar build. It's a weight class sport, you want to carry your weight as efficiently as possible.

My original point was that a 200kg deadlift should not be dismissed as pointless because someone like Mayweather can't do it. He's small and he's a boxer. My point was other athletes will have stronger deadlifts if it's more helpful to their sport. Most elite grapplers, other than the smallest weightclasses, should be able to deadlift 200kg.

I haven't seen a single deadlift at our boxing gym. We rarely see squats either. Lifting is going to be focused mostly on muscle endurance and a bit on upper body strength.

The average person isn't going to be able to do whatever someone focuses on. The average person probably can't run a 5k without walking. A 5k isn't shit to someone who runs. The average person probably can't do 5 pullups, but anyone who does pullups will likely think that's a breeze. The same goes with deadlift. For any male that does it, 200 kg should be achievable. It may be tough for smaller guys though.

200kg deadlift probably puts one in the top 1% of the human population, and top 10% of adult males who lift.

I remember when this section was very powerlifting oriented back in day

Epic stuff even bodybuilding was to be shit on lol

I remember it was super annoying. Doing deadlifts, gassing out in 1 round of boxing, telling bodybuilders they're weak like those powerlifters were more in shape to fight. Glad they found some powerlifting forum. Powerlifting is alright, but it's not more primed for fighting then bodybuilding. At least bodybuilders got more Cardio. Individual goals are apsolutely alright. But powerlifting is not more mma then bodybuilding. Both is athletic and not mma. The #1 advice to any lifting threads would be go do 5 x 5 or whatever that program was, ripetoe or something.

Back