deadlift grip

maravillin

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I am able to lift signicantly more weight using a mixed grip than a double overhand hand grip. I weigh 165 lbs, and can pull 350lbs 3 times double overhand but when i switch my grip i can pull 420 lbs 3 times. I have obsesively been working my grip strength with the coc grip masters and even levering, i will not stop until i up my double overhand deadlift, its just an obsession. My question is if theres anny real advantages or positive effects in doing deadlifts double overhand vs mixed grips. any insight is appreciated

i think you might be able to go even heavier if you use straps but those are some impressive numbers lifting raw.

I am able to lift signicantly more weight using a mixed grip than a double overhand hand grip. I weigh 165 lbs, and can pull 350lbs 3 times double overhand but when i switch my grip i can pull 420 lbs 3 times. I have obsesively been working my grip strength with the coc grip masters and even levering, i will not stop until i up my double overhand deadlift, its just an obsession. My question is if theres anny real advantages or positive effects in doing deadlifts double overhand vs mixed grips. any insight is appreciated

Well, double overhand grip will work your grip strength more than mixed grip. I've also read that upper back/traps on the side of the body that has the underhanded grip gets worked less during mixed grip, although that could be remedied by alternating grips in with each set.

You may want to give a hook grip a try. There are some ppl that have pulled over 800 lbs using a hook grip.

Pulling DOH will work your grip more but then it will limit how much you can pull so it will limit the overall strength you can build. The general consensus around here is to pull DOH as long as you can and then switch to mixed grip. If you want to work your DOH grip more you can add heavy shrugs or static barbell holds after you finish your deadlift work.

There is also a smaller chance of injuring a bicep pulling DOH but the chance of doing that is pretty small to begin with I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Some people believe that if you pull mixed you should alternate which hands you have over/under but a lot of strong people don't alternate and haven't had problems so I'd say that's up to your personal preference/opinion.

CoC grippers have a small amount of carry over to DOH/support grip. Levering doesnt carry over much at all but it's still realy important so keep at it.

Like the Dr said, there is a small chance of bicep injury with the mixed grip. Mixed grip may also promote certain imbalances. Thats still up to debate.

You could give hook grip a try. You should be able to pull close to your max with it until you get accustomed to it. I also just learned that the distance the bar travels is lessoned by close to an inch when using hook.

Try hook grip. It's the best of both worlds.

I use hook grip and I notice the clueless guys at my gym that also DL are somewhat impressed because they think I'm DOH'ing. Sorry, random thought.

Yeah def give hook grip ago it hurts like a bitch at first altho your get use to it.

I might have to give the hook grip a shot. I always did the mixed grip. Sounds interesting! Did you guys find that you were able to grip working poundages right away using the hook grip, or does it take time to get it as good as the mixed?

Thanks.

I didn't have the patience to build up my hook grip. Hurts my thumb too much. Along with using DOH until it gives out and then switching to mixed, try to fit some high rep dumbbell rows into your program. Also static holds can help too. Load up the barbbell in a lockout position and hold it for time.

I might have to give the hook grip a shot. I always did the mixed grip. Sounds interesting! Did you guys find that you were able to grip working poundages right away using the hook grip, or does it take time to get it as good as the mixed?

Thanks.

On my first time hook gripping heavy i got up to a 160kg 5 seconds 180kg 10 seconds and a 210kg rackpull for a 10 second hold and the other week i deadlifted hook for the first time properly and got to 140kg 3x5 which was my working sets and i managed to do it for my warm up sets my first set and 3 reps of the second set until my thumbs simply hurt to much, also just today i did 150kg for 3 singles hook gripped and it wasnt so bad so in short it depends on your pain thresh hold.

On my first time hook gripping heavy i got up to a 160kg 5 seconds 180kg 10 seconds and a 210kg rackpull for a 10 second hold and the other week i deadlifted hook for the first time properly and got to 140kg 3x5 which was my working sets and i managed to do it for my warm up sets my first set and 3 reps of the second set until my thumbs simply hurt to much, also just today i did 150kg for 3 singles hook gripped and it wasnt so bad so in short it depends on your pain thresh hold.

Thanks for the info!

My forearms point outside extremely, so when I use the mixed grip, the arm that's underhooking the bar is either in way of my knee, or gripping the bar a lot further away from the middle than the other one.

So I think that for pr attempts and heavy weights it might be good to learn the hook grip efficiently. Sucks that my fingers are a bit small, and the bar I've got is 30mm instead of 28mm... But god I don't understand it how people can be so much ok about it, maybe I'm just a pussy, but it really hurts. My thumbs go numb, and they often "pop" making that cracking noise. And I'm talking about doing bent over rows with 190lbs... if I do say 315lbs deadlifts, I just won't be able to lift it, too much pain xD

Back