Deadlift Grip Issues

crayon549

White Belt
Reaction score
I just tore a callus under my middle finger on my left hand today deading 385 (alternating hand grip) outside of knees(lower back rippetoe/kilgore style) and it really hurts.

I've never had issues with grip, I've been using a spray on grip that's been working for me pretty well (gym doesn't allow chalk and i hate straps), are there any suggestions to improve grip strength without ruining the consistency of my workout? (5x5 intermediate madcow [linear]- works wonders btw)

for some reason I can't get my hands to stop sweating once I get to higher weights and I know that's affecting my grip too, help meeee:icon_cry2

Maybe try and get in some grip training? Like CoCs and farmers walks. I've always deadlifted double overhand and haven't encountered any serious grip issues yet.

The callus is something that happens. Your hands will eventually get used it. You can also try soaking your hands in a salt bath after and/or sanding down the callus.

Calluses are a part of the game, try to get used to it.

Grip training such as heavy shrugs, towel shrugs, rack pulls, CoCs, farmers walks/holds, heavy dumbell rows, towel chinups/holds, plate pinching, fat bar lifts etc. is pretty much your only choice.

thanks for the headsup

im used to having calluses, just never tearing one, and it sure hurts

another issue is that i have calluses on my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, but not my index finger,

does this mean that im holding the bar improperly?

Recover, get some chalk, and eventually you'll get used to it. Also, since I started using chalk for deadlifts, I have had about three flappers. They are from a. double overhand, b. snatch grip, or c. max weight rack pull.

I just tore a callus under my middle finger on my left hand today deading 385 (alternating hand grip) outside of knees(lower back rippetoe/kilgore style) and it really hurts.

I've never had issues with grip, I've been using a spray on grip that's been working for me pretty well (gym doesn't allow chalk and i hate straps), are there any suggestions to improve grip strength without ruining the consistency of my workout? (5x5 intermediate madcow [linear]- works wonders btw)

for some reason I can't get my hands to stop sweating once I get to higher weights and I know that's affecting my grip too, help meeee:icon_cry2

I used the captains of crunch hand grippers to help improve my hand strength (they are quite pricey , though). I also started doing my pullups by using a thick towel hung over the pullup bar. If my grip is sweaty and I can't use chalk I will look for dusty areas and wipe my hands in them, helps a bit but not a lot...

Here is a good article on variations and technique:

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Dissecting The Deadlift

Deadlift with the hook grip for a while. That will get your grip strong as well.

another issue is that i have calluses on my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, but not my index finger,

does this mean that im holding the bar improperly?

Nope, thats where I have mine too, I barely have one on my index fingers. If you read starting strength rip states that thats where you usually will get them too. Its normal

Does the gym have a posted no chalk rule? most places won't make much of a stink if you cleanup after yourself because the mess is why it is banned, so no mess means no issue There are some liquid chalk alternatives like grip plus that alot of people like which you could try. In the mean time, sand your hands down to prevent loosing more skin and get a small towell to dry off your hands between sets.

The CoC grippers are great, but not going to help you hold onto a barbell to well. Farmers walk, static holds, and DOH deads will really help to increase the amount of weigth you can hold on to.

In Starting Strength, Rip talks about the importance of holding the bar with a grip that's slightly less clenched than you'd instinctively use.

The reason is, this way the bar is less likely to shift in your grip when you start pulling. Thus, it's less likely to pinch your skin/callus.

Also, if your calluses get really thick it's a good idea to reduce them, by filing them down with an emery board. Thick calluses are more likely to get torn off by heavy deads.

I thought that training the crush grip helps with static grip strength?

It does, but static holds will help more obviously.

I know ironmind talks alot about trianing the grip types (crush, support, open hand etc.) differently and i would tend to agree with that thought. While i don't know of anyone who is strong on grippers and weak on support, i do know a few guys on this board that have very strong support grips but are weak on grippers, so i would tend to think that training your crush strength won't be the best use of your time to increase support grip.

I know ironmind talks alot about trianing the grip types (crush, support, open hand etc.) differently and i would tend to agree with that thought. While i don't know of anyone who is strong on grippers and weak on support, i do know a few guys on this board that have very strong support grips but are weak on grippers, so i would tend to think that training your crush strength won't be the best use of your time to increase support grip.

:redface:

*is embarrassed*

I'm like standard is talking about, shitty grip but ok support i guess. 500+ deadlift but only closed coc # 1 once with right hand. Training support, heavy shrugs, etc will help you. A trick i've always done that has helped me is something magnus is credited for on farmers, although ive done this ever since i started deadlifting as instinct, i'll post a quote from an article that describes it.

article by corey st. clair regarding farmers tips.
Another way that Magnus Ver Magnusson dominated this event was a trick changing the way you roll the wrist. When you pick up the DB/implement, instead of just letting the wrist hang straight down and gripping all you can, flex/roll the wrist in like a goose-neck or like the way you see bodybuilders hold their wrists when doing a front biceps pose. This will bring a new set of muscles in and can allow that grip to hold on just that much longer.

Ok that makes sense Standard.

I think Jouko Ahola also did that wrist roll in farmers walk. His training film has a lot of tips for strongman events.

I also remember reading where Rip cited not too use too much of a "naturally inclined" grip, but it seems that I haven't been lifting nearly as much with the hook grip

I'm sure this is an issue of form, more on the hands and fingers obviously, but everytime i do try to do hook grip, i start tearing up my fingers instead,

i hate the new bars that my gym has, the criss-cross grit is a lot more razor sharp then the older patterned bars they had

I'll try incorporating the farmer's walks and shrugs in, but I'm tempted to ask for more bodyweight alternatives, just because my weight training is on a pretty strict regiment, i don't really allow for too much flexibility in my routine

thanks for the replies thus far, everybody's been helpful

I think that spray shit dries out your hands and makes your calluses crack and split.

They say grip training is all about finger strength. I know I've got some of the Captains of Crush Grippers and they help but develope a pretty specific strength. If your really serious IRONMIND has a great hand strength section. There's actually a video / dvd for something like $25 bucks...by the guy who was the first to close the #3 gripper...I can close the #2 but still have some difficulty with it. I like hangs for time with heavy weight...a few months of that and you should see some improvement...that and finger curls with lighter weight....I would suggest do them standing as thats the way you will be holding the weight. The Oly's wrap the fingers over the thumb and this helps some but I have never quite gotten used to the hold.

Grip strength training tips by John Brookfield for building hand, wrist, forearm strength – IronMind

(HOLDS FOR TIME AND WEIGHT)

I think they are your best bet. I would also suggest that after a few weeks you play around with diameter...wrapping a little wash cloth or hand towel around the bar gives your neuro a different stimulus.

Back