Deadlift form critique and quick question

lonewolf210

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I just started lifting and wanted to get a quick critique on my deadlift form. I think it's okay. This video was with really light weight as I was just trying to get the form down before going to heavier weight.

Video

I apologize for the link but I couldn't get the video to embed

My other question was when squatting my lower back fatigues first. I competed in triathlon and cycling in college and so have decently strong legs but have never worked my lower back. I also struggle with my flexibility and I think these are the two factors contributing to the fatigue. My question is should I add in some assistance exercises specifically for my lower back or should deadlifting be enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
What program are you running? Assistance exercises shouldn't be necessary for a while. Also, your lower back might be sore from form issues such as butt wink or it might just be because you are not used to the movement. Get some vids up.

What program are you running? Assistance exercises shouldn't be necessary for a while. Also, your lower back might be sore from form issues such as butt wink or it might just be because you are not used to the movement. Get some vids up.

I am doing the bill starr 5x5 from the faq and I didn't think anything was necessary but thought I would ask. I'll film squats next time I go. I'm travelling for work and might not make it to the gym this week.

There are several glaring issues. The weight is too far out front of you. This is causing you to round your upper back and forcing your weight forward. Your arms are bending. When you move up in weight this will almost certainly cause a bicep strain or tear. Also, when you put the weight down don't bend your knees!

You need to lean back more. your knees are sooo far past the bar. Your weight should be in your heels.

Hi, I just started lifting and wanted to get a quick critique on my deadlift form. I think it's okay. This video was with really light weight as I was just trying to get the form down before going to heavier weight.

Video

I apologize for the link but I couldn't get the video to embed

My other question was when squatting my lower back fatigues first. I competed in triathlon and cycling in college and so have decently strong legs but have never worked my lower back. I also struggle with my flexibility and I think these are the two factors contributing to the fatigue. My question is should I add in some assistance exercises specifically for my lower back or should deadlifting be enough?

I've always heard of you, but I never thought I'd interact with you in any way. This ladies and gentlemen is the only guy to get strong legs through cycling and triathlons !

Harmless trolling aside, I wouldn't worry about adding in assistance or anything like that yet. Eventually your back will adapt to the stress and all of that fun stuff.

This is the first time I've ever heard of that. Srs. And I buttwink all day errr day.

I've always heard of you, but I never thought I'd interact with you in any way. This ladies and gentlemen is the only guy to get strong legs through cycling and triathlons !

Man, this is the type of stupid shit that just destroys the value of this place.

Can i just say "BR"; it could really help you with the younger demographic

The Skinny's are in.
Looks like you're going to have to start cycling bruh bruh

The Skinny's are in.
Looks like you're going to have to start cycling bruh bruh

Nah, It's cool. I'm coming back from an injury. My legs have atrophied enough to wear skinny jeans.

Your arms are bending.

My arms don't lock out. I am unable to straighten them through the last 20-25 degrees of motion. I was just born that way. I have also been told by an orthopedic surgeon that I will never be able to touch my toes without bending my legs without having surgery. It's weird I know.

My arms don't lock out. I am unable to straighten them through the last 20-25 degrees of motion. I was just born that way. I have also been told by an orthopedic surgeon that I will never be able to touch my toes without bending my legs without having surgery. It's weird I know.

He's referring to the arm bend after you finish the first rep. I think it's about eight seconds into the video. On your second rep your arms don't bend.

Back