Deadlift form check

and finally WEAR A BELT! it doesn't make you look like a sissy... its just smart.

Belts are only needed for max lifts, because otherwise you're not workin' your core. If you work without a belt and then put one on for a max, you'll be able to do more than if you wore the belt all the time.

Personally, I'm not blown away by Rippetoe. The quoted below is in response to that Rip article, and through my experience and training I've found that Tate's advice on this is right on, and heartily disagree with Rip.

"Posted by Doug on November 7, 2006 12:06 PM

Elite fitness founder and powerlifting legend Dave Tate would disagree with much of what you say.

www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744
Mistake#6: Keeping the shins too close to the bar.

Mistake #8: Not keeping your shoulders BEHIND the bar.

"The deadlift is about leverage and positioning...if you're standing too close to the bar it'll have to come over the knee before you can pull back, thus going forward before it goes backward. if your shoulders are in front of the bar at the start of the pull, then the bar will want to go forward and not backward."-Dave Tate"

And while it'd be tough to actually get them back behind the bar all the way, it's a good verbal cue to put someone in the right starting position.

I remember reading this discussion in another forum. Rippetoe said he contacted Tate personally about this, but then wouldn't say in the forum what they talked about. That was a little weird, and confusing.

OM - if you read through the link he provided, down where the comments are he says tate agreed with him about the fact that they should be on top of the bar, but that the verbal cue of "keeping the shoulders behind the bar" helped put people in the right place.

When I posted that as a suggestion it was meant to be take that way, as a "try to..."

Both kind of saying the same thing, but most people should focus on it more, because if you don't you'll find that the bar has to travel towards you as you start the ascent, killing your upward momentum.

Back