Deadlift form check

Old Man

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I posted this in my training log, but after 6 hours I got 0 comments. That was when I remembered that I am the only one who reads that log.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iHHpdJmiD0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iHHpdJmiD0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

... maybe straighten back more and use more legs.

1. You're lowering the weight from the top without breathing in an bracing = bad lumbar spine news.

2. I'd love to see you throwing your hips into the bar as soon as you're passing your knees. It seems like your legs are almost fully extended, and THEN you extend the back.

3. Your arms/shoulders are starting in front of the bar.

4. You're a hard worker. :)

I think your best lower-back arch was on the first rep of first set. In many of the reps your lower back is just slightly rounded when you start the lift. In conjunction with that, your head and chest aren't up as much as they could be on those reps.

I'd say take a few extra seconds on each set-up, take a big breath, look at a spot high on the wall, push your chest out and pull your shoulders back.

Also, as you start the descent, you should probably push your ass back further, to help get a good lower-back arch.

Nice work.

hips rise before the bar leaves the ground on the first rep so that it ends up looking like a SLDL. you're not keeping the arch in your back after the first rep either

I'd say take a few extra seconds on each set-up, take a big breath, look at a spot high on the wall, push your chest out and pull your shoulders back.
I was surprised to see some rounding, I always thought I kept the back pretty flat. I'm going to have to follow this advice and try to be more consistent.

Also, as you start the descent, you should probably push your ass back further, to help get a good lower-back arch.
My decent sucked, so I'll give this a try. I think it's the same problem I have at the start of my squat.

1. You didn't do this on every rep, but: don't start by jerking the weight with your arms.
2. You're not old at all.

The bar should be in contact with your legs throughout the entire range of motion. It doesn't look like it is. You should be aiming for a completely straight and vertical bar path. To me it looks like you either start with the bar not in contact with your shins or with a really extreme shin-to-floor angle that immediately changes causing the bar to lose contact with your shins. Either way, instead of going vertically straight up your shins, the bar has to make up the distance between itself and the legs by drifting towards you. Maybe your weight is too far foward at the beginning. I could be completely wrong.

I'm certainly not in a position to critique, but some impressions anyway...

1) The weight looks easy for you, and your movements are explosive.

2) My preference is to see a solid pause at the top and real straightening of the back at the top. A solid "lock out" I guess, with a little "uh huh, oh yeah, I got this bitch locked out" nod.

3) Slow down some of the movements. Not the lift part, but all the stuff going on in between. Like what Flak said here:
"I'd say take a few extra seconds on each set-up, take a big breath, look at a spot high on the wall, push your chest out and pull your shoulders back."

4) It looks like there's a "clean" master hidden in that body, just waiting to come out... Your movements are dynamic and explosive. Your body is screaming for Oly Cleans in those dead lifts. AM I full of shit? Maybe. But it's what I saw.

5) Your a strong bastard who looks like he's 24 years old in that "Elizabeth Taylor" lighting. Good work.

Too young to have old_man for an SN.

Drop your ass more at the start, lean back a bit, and try to lift with your legs and back at the same time, as opposed to ass-up-back-up like you're doin' now. Think of tryin' to push the top of your head through a drywall ceilin'... This is stuff that was pointed out to me on my form check and I'm still workin' on.

Oh, and too easy. Add weight.

2) My preference is to see a solid pause at the top and real straightening of the back at the top. A solid "lock out" I guess, with a little "uh huh, oh yeah, I got this bitch locked out" nod.

A buddy of mine told me that doing a "lock out" is actually a bad thing. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, but maybe the really violent ones have potential of placing some awkward stress on the body. Straightening of the back in a fluid motion seems fine to me however.

Regardless, I found this thread to be informative since I'm still kinda working out the kinks with my deadlift form.

Oh, and you're not old at all. Keep up the good work!

lock outs are a good thing.

Old man, are you pushing through your heels?

I've been leaving that "nod" out. I'll have to remember to add that next time for the benefit of everyone in my gym.

thanks for posting Old Man and to all the replys - very invormative. I'm still very new to the deadlift and am doinga DL/pull workout tonight. appreciate the info.

Back