Deadlift Form Check

1v1

White Belt
Reaction score
I've stuck with deadlifting 225 for 5x3 for the last several months. Initially it was to improve my grip but now I'm trying to be a bit more explosive and work on form. It's begun to get really easy, but I want to make sure I have the technique down before I go up in weight.

The initial 1x3 is my first set and the second one I show is my final/fifth set up 1x3. For the final rep on my fifth set I had to walk the bar back to the bench, so that's why I start walking the weight away.

Thanks!

[YT]_8m7OAsWfJ4[/YT]

You should start with your hips a bit higher. On every rep you get set and then your hips rise a bit before you break the bar off the ground. Might as well start with them on that position to begin with so you don't risk losing tightness. That said, you look like you have decent tightness at the start of your pull but it's hard to tell because the weight is so light.

On lockout think about pushing your hips through ("fuck the bar") rather than leaning back. At lockout you should be standing straight up but right now you're leaning backward.

Why do you walk the bar back to a bench? That's going to be a good recipe for injury once the weight gets harder for you. If you have trouble getting the plates off the bar you can try rolling them onto a 2.5 lb plate so they are elevated a bit.

In general I think your form looks good and you should start adding weight. Once things get hard you should take another form check because that is when form breakdowns can start appearing.

You should start with your hips a bit higher. On every rep you get set and then your hips rise a bit before you break the bar off the ground. Might as well start with them on that position to begin with so you don't risk losing tightness. That said, you look like you have decent tightness at the start of your pull but it's hard to tell because the weight is so light.

On lockout think about pushing your hips through ("fuck the bar") rather than leaning back. At lockout you should be standing straight up but right now you're leaning backward.

Why do you walk the bar back to a bench? That's going to be a good recipe for injury once the weight gets harder for you. If you have trouble getting the plates off the bar you can try rolling them onto a 2.5 lb plate so they are elevated a bit.

In general I think your form looks good and you should start adding weight. Once things get hard you should take another form check because that is when form breakdowns can start appearing.

Normally I don't walk the bar back but I always get stares from old ladies when I deadlift in their resistance band and kettle bell area. I was just trying to get out of there.

I noticed the hip thing when I was watching the video but I wasn't sure if it was an issue or not. I'll up the weight 20lbs for next week and post another form check.

- Learn to hip hinge. Engage hamstrings more by hip hinging. (Leaning back at the hip instead of down)
This will also help with your hips too low position that above poster was talking about.
- Starting position shoulders should already be retracted as much as possible, flex the lats

Heres Bruce Lee teaching you how to engage the lats from the beginning of the lift.
hqdefault.jpg

Back