Deadlift form check

Real_Mckenzie

Witty title
Reaction score
Here's my last DL session. Weight is 500lbs @220

*EDIT* Video won't load for some reason. here's the direct link:
http://www.youtube.com/v/G24xxwzY7R0

It looks like the bar moves back towards me after it lifts off the ground. Not close enough to the bar?

Strong pull!

Though if you want criticism on a 1rm, your back is rounded before you start the lift. You want your shins fairly vertical with the bar touching them before you start.

Thanks ghost ape. Yeah I don't film myself much but my back does seem to round. I've been trying to focus on flexing the low back before the lift.

I just can't seem to do it when the weight gets heavy. My reps with 405 look great...anything over about 450 or so and it looks like that. Not sure what to do to fix it. Weight on the heels?

Keep your back straight, stick your chest out and drive with the hips.

You should be feeling it right through your hamstrings.

Type "Mark Ripeptoe deadlift" into youtube he's a knowledgable guy.

I really doubt you'll be able to correct any form issues when you are pulling close to your max.

I really doubt you'll be able to correct any form issues when you are pulling close to your max.

this. when you get to maximal deadlifts, the minute things you have wrong in your form get exponentially worse. its not a seriously bad thing but thats why it seems that way

Start closer to the bar, and slow down. Get tight, and squeeze the bar off the ground.

Which is why you reinforce good technique with lighter weights. So instead of correcting technique with near max weights, you're just doing your best to maintain the good technique you've practiced.

Back