Deadlift Form Check Please

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by calvus, Oct 13, 2010.

1. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Video from my deadlifting today. The video contains lifts of 230, 285, 315 & 350.

Thanks in advance for tips & comments. Hopefully the camera angle is decent...

Btw, thanks to my used weights from different sources, and the fact that I only own 2 45lb plates, the weight on the bar looks odd...The 350 is a 45, 2 35s, 1 25, 1 10 & 1 2.5 on each side (plus bar).

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I'd like to see your lumbar spine (lower back) a little flatter. You seem to be starting out a little rounded. Concentrate during your setup on pushing your chest out, that will help. You can also focus on arching your back, but don't overdo it...that's why I prefer the cue of sticking your chest out.
    Bar path looks really good (I expected worse) but you do take it out around your knees just a little on the descent.

Overall, solid work. Looks like you've got plenty more in you too.

3. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Thanks for the tips!

4. cXs808

cXs808 Brown Belt

i used to have the same problem as you. what helped me is not going down and grabbing the bar until i'm ready to pull.
    my cues go as follows:
    1. feet set in exact position
    2. stiff legged-reach down and set grip
    3. bend knees till bar touches shins
    4. chest out
    5. eyes forward - pull

steps 2-5 takes me 2 seconds max. when your bent over the bar for too long some peoples backs begin to round just a bit. try it out next time.

oh btw, the advice im giving you was given to me by the record holder for hawaii's 185lb raw deadlift, so it's plenty credible

5. PCP

PCP Guest

Chest out will make him want to retract his shoulder blades, which is not what you want to do.

6. Buried And Gone**

Buried And Gone** Banned Banned

Straighten your back more. Your ass should be higher in the air.

7. cXs808

cXs808 Brown Belt

I disagree. Any higher and he's gonna be stiff-legging it. It's the arch in his back (or lack thereof) that's the problem.

8. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

No, chest out will help with the back rounding. I didn't say retract the shoulder blades.

9. Ghost Ape

Ghost Ape Yellow Belt

As stated, your back is rounded even before you start the lift. Also your ass rises a little too quickly compared to your shoulders. Fix the first problem and the second might solve itself.