Deadlift assistance exercises.

paddy88

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi,

Been doing Bill Starr's 5x5 for a while now, only consistently for a month however. My deadlifts are terrible though - my sticking point is lifting the bar off the ground - I'm 72kg and I struggle with 80kg. When I'm lifting the bar off the ground, my back immediately rounds out. When I do partial deadlifts, however (down to just below my knees), I'm fine and can manage 120kg without problems. I'v worked very hard on my form but it hasn't seemed to help.

My question is, does anyone know what muscle group would be holding me back, (if my sticking point is getting it off the floor) and what assistance exercise I could do to improve my deadlifts.

Thanks

NB. Deadlifts in general hurt my hamstrings due to my inflexibility -- lately I've been working very hard on improving their flexibility and my lifts have felt a bit easier.

Given the weight you're having trouble with, and the mention of flexibility being an issue, there's a good chance the issue is technical, rather than a particular muscle or part of the ROM being weak. If possible video of your deadlifting at various weights would be beneficial, even if it does turn out to be an issue of something in particular being weak, rather than a technical issue.

Welcome to S&C, dude.

You said you're rounding your back -- do you mean your lower back? If that's the case, reduce the weight until you can keep a neutral lower back and go for multiple sets of 5, then slowly increase the weight. If you're rounding your upper back, that's not necessarily a problem.

As far as the weight you're moving, it could be that a weak lower back is your problem, but it also could be that you're just weak -- no shame in that, just keep working at it.

As far as deadlift assistance, you should try a couple of things --

Romanian deads and/or good mornings. (Make sure to learn proper form for both -- lemme know if you need more info)

Deficit deads, meaning use 35 lbs. plates rather than 45 lbs. as your largest plates.

Good luck.

Lemme know if you have questions.

Maybe some SLDL or light Zercher deadlifts. God knows the ZDL will stretch you out.
I used to start off with the bar racked and lift it off as I found it a problem getting that low for the first rep.

Ahh thanks guys. I think it is my very weak lower back and my incredibly tight hamstrings may also be a factor. I'll work on both of them and see how I go.

Thanks heaps for your help!

Back