Deadlift 3 times a week

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Johnsonville, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Since squats are allowed three times a week in ss would it be possible to deadlift three times a week instead. I have no squat rack and am broke. Just curious

2. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I don't see any reason why not. I know a lot of people that don't respond well to deadlift volume (hence 1x5 or 2x3) and need more time to recover, but I'm not one of those people and have done both 3x5 and 5x3 twice a week with success. See if it's alright for you is my opinion

3. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

1) It'd be beneficial to still do some kind of squat, even if you're just limited to what you can clean and front squat. High volume light squatting is still far better than no squatting.

2) You can make a squat rack by sinking 2x4s into buckets of concrete. Just google "home made squat rack". Sure, it's no ER rack, but it's better than nothing.

3) Some people can deadlift 3x a week. I do. What helps hugely here, is a little variety - deficits, snatch grip, paused pulls, sumo, heavy day, light day, volume day. Not every day can be heavy deadlifts of the same variety.

4. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Cool thanks. I'll add in squats as much as I can but I'm pretty excited to see what happens to my deadlift with this much volume

5. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

The front squatting what you can clean for higher reps is a phenomenal suggestion. Pissed at myself for not having that one as well.

6. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

I would suggest trap bar deadlifts but if your broke you better get your welder out.

7. CroSpartacus

CroSpartacus Yellow Belt

Yes, look up Pavel's Power to the People routine.

8. MMA Maine-iac

MMA Maine-iac Black Belt

Indeed. Easiest thing in the world to make. Cost me about fifty bucks.

[​IMG]

9. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

Yes, you can deadlift 3 time a week.

The thing about not being able to deadlift a lot is just because a lot of people basically just deadlift at really high intensity. So of course if every time you deadlift you go for 10 reps at 90%+ ... you don't want to be doing that three times a week. If you do your deadlifting in the magic 75-85% zone, though, there is no reason why you can't work up to higher frequency and higher volume. Because you're at the level which still counts as strength training, but where your form probably is going to break down and you are probably not going to overtrain.

I suspect it's even a good idea to train much higher volume and frequency and slightly lower intensity at some point. I don't think it's a council that you see basically intermediate lifters whose deadlifts still suck absolute ass reasonably often. Only ever doing near-max effort is not really an ideal way to nail down technique.

10. JohnnySagebrush

JohnnySagebrush Purple Belt

Sumo dead lift or dead lift from a box to get more leg involvement.

11. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

There is a 5/3/1 template where one Deadlifts three times per week, although Squats are also trained.

12. Halge

Halge Silver Belt

I deadlift every other day when I'm training seriously (which isn't too often). Basically I alternate between a heavy (working up to a couple of 1-rep maxes), medium (one or two 3-rep sets) and light workout (between 5 up to how many I feel like-reps). It goes something like:

Day 1: Light
    Day 3: Heavy
    Day 5: Light
    Day 7: Medium
    Day 9: Light
    Day 11: Heavy
    Day 13: Ligh
    Day 15: Medium
    Day 17: Light
    Day 19: Heavy
    Day 21: Light

And so on. Light workout day between every medium and heavy workout day, maybe switch the occasional heavy workout day for another medium. Doesn't even feel that intense, to be honest.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015