De La Riva Footlock

completesky

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Does anyone here have consistent success applying this technique during sparring? Whenever I attempt to start drilling this move I always feel that I am applying pressure into parts of the leg that are quite strong, which is obviously bad.

As I understand it, the pressure comes from the hamstring pressing into the shin combined with the wrist pressing into the achilles. Unfortunately, I feel that it is quite difficult establishing a strong grip with the locking hand and am quite confused as to what role the hips play during the footlock/the angle at which it is meant to be put on.

For people who don't know what this technique is:
[YT]baL6jSdIWAg[/YT]

It's easier to get the grip off the DLR tripod (or the basic open guard tripod) sweep in my experience.

Or even when you're going to pass guard if you're quick enough

When Caio teaches it, he angles off to the side with the DLR and lifts his hips to insert the hand, then uses his non-DLR foot as a butterfly hook to pull himself square with the opponent again. It's a bit of a weird footlock in terms of the pressure, but I think the sideways rotation is the most crucial part in terms of setting it up/adjusting into position.

When Caio teaches it, he angles off to the side with the DLR and lifts his hips to insert the hand, then uses his non-DLR foot as a butterfly hook to pull himself square with the opponent again. It's a bit of a weird footlock in terms of the pressure, but I think the sideways rotation is the most crucial part in terms of setting it up/adjusting into position.

This is how I find I get it the most too. I love this foot lock. I popped a dudes foot with it at a competition, he didn't submit. Crazy fools.

During this method what is stopping the opponent exerting pressure with their lead leg and crushing yhe de la riva hook when trying to make the initial grip?

During this method what is stopping the opponent exerting pressure with their lead leg and crushing yhe de la riva hook when trying to make the initial grip?

The other foot is controlling the distance until the footlock grip is in place. (If I understood your question correctly.)

The other foot is controlling the distance until the footlock grip is in place. (If I understood your question correctly.)

Ah okay. The angle my body was at made it a bit difficult to properly push with the non-hooking foot as opposed to regular DLR where the angle is a bit more slight. So basically my non-hooking leg felt weak in the position. I wonder why this is.

Also, sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Back