De La Hoya has advice for Rory Macdonald

Lol he doesn't even know who BJ Penn is.

"If I was in there with that opponent he was fighting"

That's what happens when you have spent the better part of the last 3 years getting beat up..

I almost wonder if, instead of that, he was trying to avoid specifically saying "I would have fucked BJ Penn's life," and instead get a more general idea across like "If I were in that specific situation where a guy was hurt like that..."

this

Pretty cool to see Oscar offer advice to Macdonald. I think if he would of jabbed to the body and then followed up to the face, he probably would of done a lot more damage to Penn and dont say you cant use jabs to the body in MMA, Benson was jabbing the crap out of Diaz's leg.

Awesome video TY TS!

Great to see some boxers getting into MMA, some say that boxing is still the better sport but come on... We know most boxers would get ragdolled the first couple bouts in MMA.

Of course you can use jabs to the body JDS probably one of the best boxers in the game uses it all the time. And ya Bendo punching Diaz's leg and then finishing up top was awesome.

I just had to look up who De La Hoya was.

Are you serious? Crazy how you can be an MMA fan(-atic) while not giving a shit about other combat sports. And DLH is a pop-culture figure too.

That's less of an argument against jabs to the body, and more so for "Don't lean your head forward and down"

well that was horribly telegraphed, just look at where perez' eyes are. jose must have drilled that 10,000 times.

perez' should have worked his way in, fighting range is a major factor in mma that completely gets overlooked by the commentators except mir. in boxing you have 3 or so ranges, in mma you have alot more than that

Thanks for the video.

One thing about Rory that imo might be an issue as far as him becoming a champ one day is his cardio.

I really enjoyed his performance against BJ and have watched the fight three times and as impressive as it was it would have been so much more impressive if Rory came out in the third and really went to work, but the opposite happened, he slowed down.

Is it a cardio issue? I have no clue, but if he slows down like that in the third what's going to happen in 4 and 5 round fights?

If he loses again to Condit like he did in their first fight and does really good in the first and second only to have Condit rev up the intensity in the third and dominate Rory, I think it will be safe to say then that Rory can't sustain his performance, and if so, that's not likely something that can be learned/changed, unless he gets very good at resting/coasting in the championship rounds.

Either way, I look forward to seeing how Rory does in future fights.

I guess he doesn't realize you can kick the body in MMA.

Glad to see these boxing legends like De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins enjoying MMA and giving it respect.

De La Hoya should maybe follow B-Hop's and give boxing advice to some MMA guys, similar to how Hopkins instructed Rashad on left hook use.

I felt Rory could have finished Penn but showed mercy instead. BJ had nothing to offer Rory, he didnt even belong in the octagon with him that night.

Yeah Kinda cool to see Oscar give him some props and some good striking advice.

I think a body kick might have done better. BJ's arms looked to shaky to grab them or counter them, especially since his hands were up high.

Maybe Rory could have gone jab-jab-kick (all to the body, or a jab or two to the head) to try to get BJ down. He could have also set that up with some kicks.

I think Rory should have stayed to the body with punches and kicks and just kept a higher volume. The biggest reason why he didn't finish Penn was that he didn't keep his volume up. Still, he won easily and BJ isn't easy to finish so I don't see it as a huge problem.

Back