DE and assistance exercise questions

Monger

Chronically Injured
Reaction score
1. Is Dynamic Effort training the same as speed training? 50% of 1 rep max, lifting as fast as possible.

2. What would be considered a good rep/set/rest scheme for speed training?

3. What rep/set/rest scheme should be used on assistance movements?

Any help is appreciated.

If you mean DE in the way that Westside uses it, then you need to include chains and bands. They're big believers in accomodating resistance.

Squats: 12x2 with 60 sec rest.
Bench: 8x3 with 30 to 60 sec rest.

I'm not familiar with Westside. I've just heard both terms thrown around and I'm asking if it's the same. Maybe Dynamic Effort and Speed training isn't the same? I don't know :redface:

Dash_Riprock said:
If you mean DE in the way that Westside uses it, then you need to include chains and bands. They're big believers in accomodating resistance.

Squats: 12x2 with 60 sec rest.
Bench: 8x3 with 30 to 60 sec rest.

Really, people who dont know wtf should shut up.
You can and SHOULD do DE without chains and bands. Chains and bands are nice little extra and maybe needed when you get stuck at certain points, weights, nothing more.

Foulsmeller said:
Really, people who dont know wtf should shut up.
You can and SHOULD do DE without chains and bands. Chains and bands are nice little extra and maybe needed when you get stuck at certain points, weights, nothing more.

I agree 100%. You'll notice that I specified DE as WESTSIDE uses the term. Chains and bands are a big part of that training philosophy as it allows them to maintain bar velocity (and force) at the top end of the movement when the bar alone usually slows down. The bands also allow for a faster eccentric and aids in the development of a faster reaction force on the concentric reversal. And yes, it's SPEED training. And yes, you don't HAVE to use chains or bands. But, since 90% of the people who ask about DE and ME are getting the terms from Westside style training, I thought it appropriate to mention the use of chains and bands.

I really don't see the need for the flame.

Back